Without You

Fall

“Bucky! Hey, it’s me, Evelyn! Wake up!” I shouted, wishing he hadn’t bound me before he went to sleep. I wanted nothing more than to shake him awake from his nightmare but I was so helpless, and only because he just couldn’t quite trust me yet. “Bucky!”

At the sound of his name, Bucky’s eyes flung open and he gasped as though the air was being sucked from the room. His chest heaving and fists clenched, he turned and met my eyes, his face of agony having a sense of relief washing over it.

“I had a dream,” he breathed and I nodded for him to continue. “I was on a train, fighting alongside Steve…”

“Yes,” I whispered, glad that he was finally remembering what I had experienced even though it had emotionally torn me apart.

“And then the side of the carriage was blown up, and I fell out- I was barely hanging on,” Bucky said and my vision became uncontrollably blurry as tears formed from the memory. “And then Steve’s face appeared, he tried to reach me but my grip was slipping…”

He stared down at his hands, his gaze settling on the robotic hand as if it was now foreign to him.

“Then what?” I asked, wanting to know how much he could recall.

“And then your face appeared behind Steve… And once I saw your face I smiled and relaxed and I… I let go, Evelyn… I let go and fell,” Bucky finished.

I closed my eyes, causing the tears to spill.

“The fall was so scary,” Bucky continued, surprising me as I thought he had concluded his recounting of his nightmare. “I knew I was going to die, the sensation was awful, but all I could think of was your face… It was as though you stayed in front of me the whole way down, until I hit something and everything went black…”

I sobbed at his words, trying to hold my emotion in but failing. I had no idea that I was Bucky’s last thoughts - how could I? - but the sentiment was overwhelming.

Bucky shifted on the bed and I heard him approach me. I opened my eyes to see him leaning to the side. He freed my bound hands before scooping me in his arms and lifting me into an embrace. I wept against Bucky’s chest as he gripped onto me for dear life.

“Watching you fall was one of the worst things I have ever experienced,” I confessed once my bawling had calmed down enough for me to speak.

“I promise you won’t ever have to lose me again,” Bucky breathed. I pulled away from his comforting chest to meet his eyes.

“I don’t think you can keep that promise,” I remarked.

“I’m going to try my hardest. I’m not letting go of you, I’m not letting go of my memories,” he swore. I pulled him into a kiss and became lost in his touch until he hastily pulled away with wide eyes.
♠ ♠ ♠
Short update, but the next chapter will be out soon and it's much longer! Thank you Awkwardly Obscured and RomansRevenge;; for commenting, I'm glad you enjoyed the last chapter! And I hope you guys will all check out Crossing the Line (Bucky one-shot) if you haven't already! :)

Image