Without You

Pinch

“This might pinch,” the scientist said as he lowered the needle towards my vein. My arms and legs had been strapped to the stretcher so tightly it hurt even when I wasn’t struggling, and something had been shoved into my mouth to help dull my cries of distress. I looked away from the injection, its vial full of a glowing aqua liquid, and spotted Bucky on the stretcher a few steps away.

His eyes were pleading, full of regret and despair as he watched on. He was thrashing the best he could against the restraints but I knew it was no use; we weren’t going to be breaking free anytime soon.

I felt the familiar prick of a needle pressing into my flesh and I rolled my head back to look at the ceiling and try to put my mind elsewhere.

I failed.

What followed as the fluid was pushed into my bloodstream was too unbearable to not focus on. It felt as though it was tearing apart every single fibre in my body as it spread through my veins, heading up my arm. In the distance, muffled by my own screams, I could hear Bucky’s cries of torment and I briefly turned my head to see that he was watching on with wide eyes of terror.

My gaze was torn from him as the burning sensation ripped through my shoulder and crossed my chest, my whole right arm feeling as though it was on fire. It flowed to my heart and then my lungs and squeezed. I wheezed, unable to suck in air even though my body was telling me that I desperately needed it. The poison continued to seep through my body, spreading into my abdomen and then legs as well as rising into my head. I yelled with what little breath I had left, feeling the world fade from a combination of lack of oxygen and too much physical torture.

And then I inhaled. My lungs expanded and there was a break in the agony, a stirring of relief in my chest.

“Subject is recovering!” I heard the joyous cry but didn’t feel any delight myself as my muscles were still on fire.

“Try him! Do it now!” another voice ordered and I was able to focus on something other than my pain for a brief second. Bucky… Even though it was excruciating to move my neck muscles to look across at Bucky, I forced myself to continue.

I saw the equally as large syringe loaded with a dusty grey fluid. I saw Bucky wrestling against the restraints to no avail. I saw the needle break his flesh and send the liquid coursing through his body. And I heard his screams.

As I watched my friend endure a similar experience, my vision faded to black.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks a bunch to flourry. and unapalomayunaflor for commenting on the last chapter! I hope to hear what you guys think of this update, and because it's a bit short I hope to put the next one out a bit earlier to make up for it :)

Image