Without You

Smitten

I grinned as I watched Peggy speak with Steve and Bucky, her head never turning from Steve. She sure was smitten, but apparently most of the men here were completely oblivious to that. They tended to see Peggy and I, and most of the other sparsely scattered women around here, as opportunities for goggling at or possibly bedding, and it was the couple of infidel women that kept that reputation going.

I focused back on my glass of whiskey until a hand dropped on my shoulder. I looked up and saw Peggy smiling down at me, looking as stunning as always in her red dress.

“I hope you’re not trying to outdrink the men again. Remember what happened last time?” she warned with a teasing tone and I chuckled.

“That was one time!” I insisted. “I’m not going to do anything stupid tonight, I promise.”

“Good.”

“Are you?”

“Pardon?” Peggy blurted and I could tell that beneath her makeup a blush was crawling onto her cheeks.

“You know… Steve…” I murmured as I glanced over at the men who were both looking our way too.

“No, I don’t think so,” she answered, also turning her head to look back at the pair who raised their glasses to us before drinking. I grinned and took a sip of my drink before Peggy blocked my view.

“Why aren’t you going to do something stupid? You have more on the line than I do,” she pointed out and I shrugged.

“I don’t want to hurt anyone if I, or he, doesn’t return after tomorrow. I’m not cruel,” I confessed and Peggy gave a short nod to show her understanding.

“Very well. But make sure you do return, won’t you?” she said and I nodded, not wanting to verbally promise her something I probably couldn’t keep. “Goodnight, Evelyn.”

“G‘night, Peggy,” I called out to her back before she disappeared into the crowd. As I turned back around someone was shuffling into the seat next to me and I looked over to see Bucky.

“Hi, Ev,” he said as he clinked his glass onto the bar.

“Hi, Bucky.”

“Enjoying your drink?” he asked and I looked away from him, my smile not fading.

“Of course. You?” I replied, unable to find the confidence to lift my gaze again. The alcohol was exaggerating my nervousness instead of dulling it.

“Of course,” he answered in the same tone and my grin widened. “Where’s your pretty dress? Shouldn’t you be wearing something similar to Peggy?”

I looked down at my brown uniform, almost identical to his except I was forced to wear a wretched skirt when not on the battlefield.

“Do I really seem like the dress type to you?” I said with a snort, regretting it instantly. That was hardly a lady-like way to show my disapproval.

“No, but that doesn’t mean you wouldn’t suit one,” Bucky countered and then took another swig of his drink.

I fell silent, staring at my nearly empty glass. I could sense his eyes boring into the side of my head.

“Let me buy you a drink, Ev,” he offered, his voice sweet and surprisingly genuine.

I finally looked up to meet his warm eyes and couldn’t help but smile back at him.

“You can when all of this is over, when we return,” I promised. Bucky only smiled in response and I quickly finished the rest of the whiskey in my glass, then stood. “See you tomorrow.”

“See you,” he said softly and I walked away with a jittering stomach.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you so much to Albluerose, Join the Masquerade, and flourry. for leaving comments! I'm really glad you're all enjoying the story so far! :D

And I hope you like these two amazing gifs as much as I do. I decided this chapter deserves more than just one.

Image

Image