Status: A developing idea

Off Limits

One

From the master bedroom, I could hear the front door be pushed open, followed by the thump of his suitcase on the hardwood floors.

He discarded his keys on the front table, before his hoarse voice out, “Riley? Are you home?”

I smiled at his deep voice, welcoming it after its prolonged absence, “Upstairs!” I heard his heavy feet lumbering towards the stairs. I reached for my riding boots, pushing my feet into them, and stuffed my iPhone into my oversized purse.

“Hey, babe.” A tired smile stretched across his face as he stood in the doorway to our bedroom, shuffling towards our bed. He lazily flopped on top of the comforter, one of his heavy arms landing across my lap.

“Tough road trip?” I questioned with a chuckle, running a hand along his short hair. I merely earned a groan in response.

Laughing, I pressed a kiss to the back of his head, before pushing myself off of the mattress, “Get some rest, Jon.” But as I moved around his legs and headed towards the doorway, he flipped over.

“Riles,” he moaned, “Where are you going?”

I rolled my eyes, “Alex just called.” The mention of my uptight boss earned a grunt from my boyfriend. “I have to pick up some paperwork from his place; I’m supposed to give it to a customer early tomorrow morning.”

Another groan quickly followed my explanation, “Can’t you just stay and cuddle?”

I sent him a sad smile, walking towards the bed and leaning over to him. “You know I wish I could,” I pressed a quick kiss to his lips, “But I really have to do this.”

“I know, I know,” he rolled his eyes playfully, shooing me to the doorway, “But make it quick.”

I nodded dutifully, “Just have to go over some final details, and then I’ll be home.” I sent his a cheery smile, flinging my purse over my shoulder and descending the stairs to the front foyer. I grabbed the set of keys that had just been discarded on the table.

I made my way to the garage of the apartment complex, sliding into the driver’s seat of Jon’s Ranger Rover. Clicking the engine on, I felt my phone vibrate in my lap with a new notification.

Door is unlocked, just walk in

I quickly sped over to his immaculate apartment complex and pulled into my regular spot in the parking garage. I smiled at the doorman, who offered me a polite wave and a cheery smile.

“He’s very excited to see you, Ms. Grey,” the old man grinned.

As a happy smile spread across my lips, I winked at him playfully. “Oh, I bet he is, Mr. Wilson.”

As I moved past him towards the elevators, he threw back his head in a chuckle, before calling across the lobby. “Have a good night, Ms. Grey.”

I offered him a polite smile, before sliding into the open doors of the elevator and instinctively pushing the too-familiar floor number.

I pushed open the door to the apartment and grinned at my surroundings, shedding my riding boots and throwing my coat onto the nearest surface. His apartment was definitely less tidy than Jonathan’s. Clutter was scattered in different corners and on different surfaces, but it was charming; it felt lived in. My gaze flickered to the trail of clothes that led further into the apartment.

A pair of slacks was discarded near his pile of mismatched sneakers; a jacket was thrown over the back of his sectional couch; a tie was tossed on the steps that led to the bedrooms; and a button-down shirt flung across the rug.

I arrived at the doorway to his bedroom, the pile of his clothes neatly folded in my arms.

He was seated on the edge of his bed in a pair of thin boxers and his t-shirt, his blue eyes focused on the phone in his hands.

“Looks like you’re already a few steps ahead,” I chuckled, dropping the pile of his clothes on his dresser. His head snapped towards my voice.

His signature sultry smirk spread across his lips, “It was a long road trip.” His blue eyes raked across my figure, drinking in my skin-tight jeans and the way my oversized tee slipped off my shoulder. Once his blue eyes connected with my green ones, he dropped his phone onto his comforter and began to approach me.

“Oh, trust me,” I smirked at him, “I know, Patrick.”