Blank Space

Not One of Us

How can she be so bored so early in the day? Not quite remembering how she found herself in the study room to begin with until her eyes drifted to her answer. Ah, yes. Ms. Miriam dragged her from her chambers like a mother hen constantly scolding her for wasting her time in basking in her slumber.

Now here she sat, barely managing to keep it together as the thick book in front of her started to fade from her vision. Her head slowly tilts downward as her eyes suddenly start to flutter when—SLAM!

Panicked she jolted from her spot, a short yelp came from her lips before seeing the fury in those dark brown eyes. “Miss Evangeline stop nodding off like some toddler and concentrate! These are important facts of history you should know if ever to encounter someone of higher status-”

Nodding her head in compliance, Miriam growled noticing that the girl was only half listening. Evangeline’s eyes continued to flicker to the window, ounces of hope to speed off and run around in filth like a child. “Miss Evangeline.” Those dark blue eyes darted to the older woman who held a haughty expression.

Miriam had her chest puffed out like some bird in mating season as she clucked about whatever she is rambling this time. “Who cares about these important facts, Miriam! This is all so dreadful dull.”

As if her eyes could get any bigger they could possibly bulge out of her head, Miriam gasp as she held a hand over her heart. “D-dreadful—dull? This is our history, Miss Evangeline. You are of high status and will be treated as such, education is nothing to be reckoned with. You should be lucky to learn these things unlike so many other unfortunate souls.”

“I think those unfortunate souls would burn those books for warmth not feed their minds with knowledge.” Another heated look thrown her way. “Anyways, what of my culture? There aren’t any. Only of Great Britain.”

“Didn’t your mother teach you?”

Frowning, she creased her brows which Miriam fussed over as she personally smoothed out the wrinkles. Evangeline sighed, “Not really. She sheltered me from many things, the only thing she left me with is the color of my skin.”

Glancing down at her ebony skin she is aware that many stared at her like some caged bird. Some wanted to rattle her cage, poke her feathers to see what she can do, but only so few times when she was little. Those were only taunts from children and she knew better to take it with her to her adult years.

Foolish words, her mother said. They are only words.

Still she pondered and was curious as to what the world would see her now. The only interaction she has is with her family and any in the living quarters of the Harris manor.

Miriam hummed thoughtfully, “Then it’s best to learn as much as you can from your father’s side since you have the opportunity.” The conversation ended only for Miriam to start her lecture once again, Evangeline huffed slumping her shoulders in resentment. “Mind your posture, Miss Evangeline!”

. . .

Evangeline yawned, letting her lips stretch as far as possible. She could care less how unladylike it is, there is hardly anyone around that can boss her around. Living with no one close to her age can be tedious, well anyone close to her age that she can probably talk to without them staring down at their feet like some servant.

The green pathways rustled against her coral colored dress deciding to take a stroll. Heading to the gardens hoping she can convince the gardener to let her tend to some of the plants. It always took a bit of a push for them to allow her since a lady shouldn’t let her hands touch such dirty things.

As far as the workers are concerned her hands should not know the harsh labors unless it has to do with her studies.

Her eyes sparkled when she noticed the mop of brown curls pulled back into a messy tail. Grinning, she inched closer with soft footsteps. Stalking her prey with bated breath, the large form crouched as their hands are dug deep into the ground.

Once the opportunity struck her, she pounced letting her hands grasp their shoulders. A loud shriek was heard mingled with laughter. Evangeline threw her head back as the person spun around with a look of relief, “Miss Evangeline! You frightened me!”

Suppressing her giggles with her hand, she choked out an apology. “Sorry and Peter please refrain from the labels. It’s Evie.”

Giving him a look, the man only smiled. “What can I do for you, Miss Evie?” Evangeline frowned at the title, it’s out of respect, but still—they were old friends. Peter is the only one that knew her since she entered the world of the Harris’ and grew quite fondly of one another especially her fascination with botany.

Folding her hands together, she straightened up her back. “You know what I want, Peter.”

“And you know I cannot allow it.” He grimaced. “I was reprimanded for allowing you to do such a thing. It’s my job not yours.”

Evangeline rolled her eyes, “Only because we were caught! Just…please? Why fight me on this? We do this every day and every day you relent one way or another. Nothing pleases me more.” Giving him a cheesy grin when he closed his eyes exhaling, she clapped her hands in happiness.

“Only because it pleases you, miss.”

Gathering her skirts, she knelt on the ground disregarding the shovel that he wanted to hand to her. Burying her hands into the soft soil, she sighed in content. Nothing ever came close to the feeling of cool soil on her hands, the closest she feels to happiness and keeping her sanity.

“I love the scent of fresh soil.” She murmured, scooping the soft dirt in her hands letting it crumble on her palms. Humming in content, Peter joined in the tune as she planted the seeds from the small cloth he laid out beside him. “What are these going to become?”

“Summer snowflake.” Peter smirked at her excited smile. “It was going to be a surprise, but how can it be when you are here every day of the week?”

Evangeline belted out a laugh, “Nothing can get passed me, Sir Peter.”

Relishing in the time spent in the gardens, her nose was fumigated with floral scents that put her at ease. Nothing seem to distract her from her joy when she finally made her way back to the home. Servants and the like giving her scattered looks noticing the blotches of dirt on her dress, the hem and shoes tracking in mud.

Bits of dirt underneath her fingernails as she attempts to clean them while making her way to her room to clean up. As someone cleared their throat, she stopped on the pebbled steps when she turned her head to see her grandfather alongside a small group of people.

Evangeline paled, this is more than a surprise. Usually she is given a fair chance of collecting herself before being introduced, but she gathered he wasn’t going to by the expression on his face. One of disappointment and slight embarrassment, flushed cheeks as her grandfather, Richard stumbled a bit. “E-excuse the lack of…preparation of my granddaughter, William. This is my granddaughter, Evangeline and this is his wife, Diana and his two sons Jacob and Thomas.”

“Hello.” Gathering her skirts as she curtsied. A small muffled laugh was heard among the group making her stiffen at the gesture.

William stiffly smiled at her recognizing the wall that is put in front of her. “I assume you had a busy day, Miss Evangeline.”

“Quite, but it was rather fun.” She responded politely, not once glancing at the three others ignoring the comment of how unsuited the dress is for a negro girl. Biting her lip, realizing it came from the mother, she bowed again clasping her hands to her front. “It is a pleasure meeting you and your family. I need to freshen up a bit.”

“Of course! Take your time.”

Spinning on her heel she made a quick dash inside.

. . .

Freshly dressed in pale yellow number, Evangeline pursed her lips as the maid quickly tightened the corset. Wincing at the constriction, she scowled seeing her bust being pushed up more than usual. “Are you trying to suffocate me or did you have a word with grandmother?”

“Your grandmother has the best intentions, miss.” It is rather stifling that no one particularly conversed with her; she made the effort to speak to them, but all she got were short sentences or to be excused. As for her grandmother, she knew they loved her and like any woman wants to marry off their children.

Now taking a seat she can feel it tighten around her ribs as she took small breaths to even it out. Here comes the worst part, her hair. Her dreadful tight curly hair makes it impossible to brush through. Every snag, yank, and pull caused a whimper with a tearful jerk to the side.

It took twice as long as any hair to brush through. With a tender scalp, she watched as the maid pinned her hair up and away from her face adding a small butterfly clip in her hair. She smiled, happy that at least she always could wear such an item that was given to her by her father.

Adding pearls around her neck, the light yellow ribbon cascading down her back she was ready. Taking a deep breath, she stood up and made her way to a lone room.

Sitting by herself has always been an issue with her when it came to having guests over. Her grandfather carefully explained that their situation with her needs to be eased with every guests considering this was unordinary. Not once as it occurred to her that it was the color of her skin until she got older.

She’s too high status to eat with the servants and too low to eat with everyone else when the occasion suited them. She could see that it devastated her grandfather when these special occasions come to order, but it’s a must.

Everything is unsettling as her grandmother comes through the door after a couple of hours. “Come, child.” She muttered softly, escorting Evangeline to be properly introduced to the Hiddleston family as she is now informed. “Do just as you practiced with Miriam and you’ll be fine.”

Evangeline nodded as she craned her neck to take a peak of what is in store for her only to be reeled in again. The bony finger of her grandmother caught her chin, bringing it back to her gaze. “None of that voodoo language is allowed here, understood?”

“Yes grandmother.”

Putting on her most sincere smile, she entered the large dining room where the entertainment ensued. Her grandfather stood, greeting Evangeline with a small peck on the cheek hearing the whispers of Diana again before taking her place alongside Miriam and her grandmother.

“Tell me…Ava was it?” Diana spoke up with unpleasant beady eyes, her snotty nose up in the air like some posh dog, batting her eyelashes all the more.

“It’s Evangeline, miss.”

“Ah, E-vangeline. Such an appropriate name for a mulatto girl and to see you more closely without all that filth-”

“Like it made a difference.” One of the two sons murmured earning a laugh from the others. Evangeline frowned as she focused on Diana. “-was removed. You are a peculiar looking child. Don’t those clothes feel odd to you?”

Feeling the concerned glances from her family, she swallowed her most deserved responses as she said, “No, I was blessed into a family that took me in and loves me as any other child.”

The heated gaze coming from Diana was disregarded when a voice she hasn’t heard gained her attention. “What color are your eyes?” Tilting her head a bit, she is taken back as one of the sons who she forgot which one is which, leaning in with a look of interest. His long black hair pulled back and eyes the color of her skin.

Evangeline gave him a tight smile to ease some of the awkward tension, “I don’t follow.”

“Your eyes, I catch a glimpse of something other than the ordinary brown I usually see among negroes.”

“Oh…” She paused, her eyes gazing back at him as she felt herself leaning back. “Blue.”

Then something unexpected happened, he sent a dazzling smile at her throwing her for a loop. She didn’t know people could smile like that, such a friendly aura came off of him now. It’s like that dark aura that once was there faded replacing it with something more familiar.

“They are beautiful.”

Times like these she is grateful for her dark complexion hiding her heated face. “T-thank you. You are most kind.” She turned her head to look at the carpet floor.

“I only say what is true and I appreciate every aspect of beauty.” Evangeline missed the elbow jab that Diana gave to her son who hardly wince as he grinned at his brother. Once she glanced up, she is met with another unsettling gaze.

Evangeline found this time her gaze is in a fiery set of blue eyes, far lighter than her own. Brown curls pulled back and a thin lipped scowl being directed at her. This son is completely different than his charming brother. One that didn’t hide his feelings and something in the pit of her stomach spun.

She didn’t like him one bit.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I'm thinking about writing this story instead of Nothing but the Stars, still pondering though since I'm a bit lack of enthusiasm when it comes to that story since I have it stirring in my creative pot for so many years. I'm so happy for what I have come up with for this story, something I never really thought I would write, a period peace involving racism. Anything I write might not be entirely accurate. I'm trying to research as much as possible, but the truths may be stretched out for my own creative purposes. Racism is just one of those touchy subjects that no one really wants to mess with, but watching so many trailers of Selma and watched 12 Years a Slave again, and recently watched Belle I had to write this.

Hopefully you enjoy this story and sorry for my little rant.

Exciting news though, Benedict Cumberbatch is going to be a DADDY!!! I can't wait for the Cumber-baby!!