Sequel: Take My Love

We Don't Have Forever

Blow Up in My Face

“I’m sorry about last night….leaving you to deal with that.” I said as our food arrived. I knew eating would make me feel better but looking at food still made me feel a bit queasy. I started with just drinking some coffee and nibbling on my toast.

“You don’t have to be sorry…I mean…at least you sort of let some of it out, right?” She said, trying to look at it from a positive angle.

“I guess…” I said, shrugging a little bit as my phone vibrated with a new text…from Sidney. I smiled and checked it, saying he would be in Chicago to play the Hawks that coming Tuesday, so in five days.

“What’s got you so smiley, hm?” She prodded with a grin on her face as she looked at me over her cup of coffee.

“Nothing….anyway….uh….I’m looking for somewhere to stay.” I said, finally feeling well enough to start working on my pancakes and eggs.

“I don’t think you leaving will fix anything, Kathryn…I know it seems like a good idea right now but it’ll just make things worse.” She said, sighing a little bit. “Your brother is hurting too…”

“Ohh please! He doesn’t give two shits. His career is still speeding along, he’s fine.” I said, blowing it off and rolling my eyes a little bit.

“I know you don’t see it…but I do. When you aren’t there, he breaks down. He feels terrible and he just needs to tell you. You two need to really sit down and talk.” She said, her phone buzzing with a text and her making a face for a moment.

“I’m not ready to talk….talking turns into a screaming match lately and I just don’t have the energy for it.” I said, rubbing my face. I really need a shower, I felt so gross.

“Just….don’t leave, stay with Jon, he has a few road games coming up so you won’t even really have to deal with him.” She suggested, looking somewhat hopeful. I sighed heavily, looking up from my breakfast to look at her.

“Alright, fine…I really don’t feel like shifting my stuff around anyway.” I said, nodding a little bit to confirm it. She smiled and we talked about other things while we finished our breakfast then she drove us back to the apartment. Jon wasn’t home from practice yet, which was strange, considering practice had been over for about an hour now. But I took that chance to jump in the shower and scrub up.

I took my sweet time, making myself smell pretty before stepping out and changing into something comfy then grabbing my laptop and sitting on my bed. I heard the front door to the apartment open and Kylee speaking then a deeper voice, which I could only assume was Jon’s. I decided to check my school email to see if any of my assignments had been graded yet. I was determined to stay in my room until I absolutely needed to leave. After about an hour, I decided I wanted to make myself some tea.

I got up and slowly crept out of my room, heading into the kitchen. Jon and Kylee were on the couch, his head in his hands as she rubbed his back gently. I tried not to make too much noise as I grabbed the kettle and started heating up some water. I busied myself with my phone, playing a game while I waited. It was very quiet in the house, except for Kylee and Jon mumbling about something and the TV, which was on as just some quiet background noise to the house

My phone dinged with an alert, showing that I was receiving a mention on Twitter. I checked it out and nearly dropped my phone. Multiple news outlets had taken pictures of my little skate at the Olympics and were now speculating me returning to hockey. I cursed under my breath and started sending out replies to try and nip it in the bud. But now it had spread to sports magazines and I was thinking this was gonna blow up in my face.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ruh roh