Sequel: Take My Love

We Don't Have Forever

Hockey Player Thing

After leaving Katie behind in Jonathan’s apartment, I rushed home to touch up my makeup and put on a change of clothes. Jack’s team had arrived in Chicago this afternoon… and we were supposed to meet for dinner. I was kind of surprised when he suggested it. I thought we agreed on coffee! But it’s whatever. I’m sure Kathryn didn’t want me babysitting her all night anyway. She’s gotten enough of that from Jonathan lately.

I was, however, able to pick the restaurant for us to eat at. He was supposed to be meeting me there. I was running late anyway. I just felt flustered about everything at the moment… and I didn’t know what to do about it!

While I was driving, I kept fidgeting with things. My fingers were strumming against the steering wheel. I kept flipping through the radio stations. Hell, even the controls on the wheel weren’t safe! I needed a damn drink. That was the only thing I could think would settle all of these weird nerves that were quickly bubbling inside of me.

Leaving my car with the valet, I entered the restaurant and glanced around for Jack. It took me a second, but I spotted him. He was way in the back. Once he caught sight of me, his smile quickly spread across his face as he stood, greeting me with a hug.

“You look gorgeous,” he told me as we parted.

“Aw, thank you,” I felt myself blush. “You look handsome,” I came back with as each of us took a seat. Handsome… should I have called him that?

He thanked me with a slight pink flushing over the apples of his cheeks. It was cute. Jonathan does the same thing when I compliment him.

“So, how have you been?” I asked, getting conversation going… after I put in a drink order. “I don’t pay much attention to the Blue Jackets, so tell me everything,” I added.

“Well, you know the name of the team now, so that’s good,” he chuckled.

“I did a little homework,” I laughed.

Through a soft chuckle, he went on to tell me how the team was doing. Apparently, they’re suffering a few injuries to key players, but were still hopeful for the playoffs. In return, he asked me about the Blackhawks… and I didn’t… really know. Jonathan doesn’t complain too much about the team to me. I’ve heard him mutter about playoffs, so I’m assuming they’re in a good spot…

“What have you been up to?” he asked once the conversation of hockey died down.

“Work,” was my simple answer.

“That’s it?” he kind of chuckled.

“Pretty much. One of my friends has been sick, so I’ve been kind of helping her out too,” I shrugged.

“Such a good friend,” he taunted. I rolled my eyes, but a smile crept through.

Throughout the rest of the night, we poked fun at each other. It was a nice a dinner though. I didn’t think twice about my anxiousness before I got here either. It just went away.

“Ready for the game this week?” I asked him towards the end of our meal.

“Oh, yeah,” he crossed his arms and leaned over the table. It made him look fucking huge.

“I think you’re scared,” I taunted.

“Never scared,” was his reply.

“Mhm…” I eyed him sideways.

“Are you going to the game?” he went on to ask.

“I’ll try,” I told him. I’ve never asked… Jonathan to go to a game. He usually just tells me when he’s gotten tickets for Kathryn and I. Lets hope the next game is that way… I’m kind of curious how this match up would play out.

“Well, I hope to see you there,” he said with a smile and signed the bill. He had already denied my suggestions to pay for my own.

“Better put on a show if I come,” I said as we got to our feet, beginning to exit the restaurant.

“Oh, I’ll try,” there was in a chuckle in his tone; his hand coming to the small of my back.

He kept it there until we were outside and I had handed the valet my ticket. His hand actually only moved because I turned to face him. No touchy.

“Thank you for dinner,” I told him.

“No problem,” he smiled slightly. “You can get the coffee tomorrow,” he added.

“Don’t you have practice or some hockey player thing to do?” I questioned.

“I got practice in the morning, but we can do something afterwards.”

And I found myself agreeing to get coffee with him tomorrow… for real this time. It didn’t hit me until I was in my car and on my way back to Jonathan’s that… Jonathan would be home tomorrow… I knew he’d want to be spend time with me. Him and Kathryn had a way overdue talk to get over with as well. He’ll probably sleep most of the day though. I could make some time to get coffee with Jack while he’s in town.
♠ ♠ ♠
Kylee