Sequel: Take My Love

We Don't Have Forever

A Good Start

“So, sweetheart, how is school?” My mother asked me, her French Canadian accent coming through rather thickly. Dad said they had a drink before dinner. I looked up from my dinner, realizing they were all looking at me. I had been pretty quiet during dinner, letting Jon and Kylee do the talking.

“Good…passed all my midterms…” I said, looking back at my food and picking at it slightly. I was preparing myself for this trip from hell, honestly. I knew I would be stuck with my parents for most of it, since Kylee was here and Jon would want to spend time with her okay, maybe I’m just a bit upset that he’s spending a lot of time with her and ignoring his little sister….MAYBE.

“That’s great! Are you thinking of internships yet?” She asked, her eyes lighting up. She loved hearing that her children were doing well; it gave her things to tell people back home. Well….to brag about. I was a bit of a disappointment for a few years so the college thing has been her saving grace for me.

“I haven’t looked into it yet but I guess I should, eh?” I said, seeing my Dad nod and look over at Jon.

“Maybe the Blackhawks would a good start…” He suggested, raising an eyebrow. I have never snapped at my parents, ever. I’ve always been good and respectful, Jon is more the hothead. But for some reason, it came out quicker than I could catch it.

No.” I snapped quickly, before Jon could even get a word out. Everyone was looking at me with wide eyes. “I don’t want to get an internship because of my brother. ….I would rather my skills speak for themselves.”

“Bryan, maybe she has a point? We wouldn’t want her colleagues thinking she doesn’t deserve it.” Mom said, patting his shoulder. I felt suddenly uncomfortable with my anger and frustration.

“Excuse me….” I said, standing and grabbing my coat and purse. I couldn’t stand it anymore, I was so annoyed! I left the restaurant and found the first Olympic guide I could, asking them to point me to a bar in Team Canada’s village. They pointed me to one and I took off, going right in and ordering myself a beer and shot of whiskey.

“Whoa, maybe slow down there, eh?” I heard a voice say beside me. I took my shot and slammed the glass down, looking over at the person. My eye’s widened slightly and felt a blush coming to my cheeks. Fucking Sidney Crosby.

“What are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be with your family?” I asked, wiping my mouth a little. He laughed that high pitched laugh of his, shaking his head a little bit.

“I’m actually hiding from them…they can be a little much sometimes.” He said, asking the bartender for another beer and water. He was obviously not risking a hangover.

“Canada’s Golden Boy is hiding from his family…” I said in a joking manner, making him smile a little bit.

“What about you? Shouldn’t you be with your family?” He asked, folding his arms on the bar. What was it about hockey players and taking up so much space? They always seemed so much bigger up close.

“I can only take them in small doses. It’s not easy being the younger sibling to a superstar hockey player.” I said, sipping on my beer carefully.

“I feel bad for my younger sister then…you get pressure from your parents?” He asked, turning slightly to face me more.

“Uh…yeah, it was worse before I went back to college.” I said, looking down at my glass. “I’d rather not talk about it…”

“Okay, no problem…” He said, giving me that million dollar smile. “So…what do you do for fun, Miss Toews?”

“I don’t think you could keep up with me, Mister Crosby.” I teased, sipping my beer again. He got this look in his eyes and smiled again.

“I love a challenge.” He said, leaning in a little and still smiling at me. I bet you do…
♠ ♠ ♠
ooooooo tension within the family ;D

Thank you for all the recommendations!