Status: Trying to update daily!

Deep

Entrance

"No! Wait! It's important! Slow down!" I yelled between my ragged breaths. Running was never my forte.

"We have to keep going! At this point, anything can wait!" May continued onward, her lithe legs effortlessly gliding through the rough terrain of the mountain forest.

Deep breath. I can do this.

With one last jolt of energy and a close call nearly landing me a tree-branch-to-the-face, I managed to catch up to May and tackle her to the ground. Scraped knees were worth the information I had, and she could cry about it later. There was no time to waste.

"May -"

"I cannot believe you would jump on me!" she screeched, pushing me off her and rubbing herself down. "Look, Marie, you may be the 'older one', but it doesn't mean you get to call all the shots, all the time and -"

"May, listen to me; I-"

"Geez, Marie, it's like it always has to be about you!" Her arms flail in the air in exasperation as she attempts to catch her breath amidst her rant. "Why can't you let me have my moment of glory, huh? Why can't I , just for once-"

"May. We're going the wrong way," I say, turning around and brusquely walking in the direction we came.

"-plus, we all know that he's going to - Wait, what?" I hear the rustle of brush and I know she's following me.

"The wrong way, May. And as you've said before, we have to keep going." I slowly work up my pace to a jog.

"How do you know?" she calls out to me, closer this time. Dang, she's fast.

"The sign at the bottom of the hill. You read it wrong. The arrow pointing up actually meant to go forward, not upward." Faster now. Breaths are heavier.

"Oh," she breaths. Not a word more is spoken as we break into a careful sprint. The downhill slope is a speed advantage but there is a higher chance of one of us getting injured.

Finally, at the bottom of the hill, we retrace our steps and find the sign from before. Searching for a bit, we find the path a ways off from the sign, hidden by some overgrowth. It led us to a small cave at a steep point at the base of the hill, small enough that an eye not keen enough would not be able to spot it.

"Is that it?" May says breathlessly, partially from the exertion and partially in excitement.

I nod. "Hopefully. Do you want to go first, or shall I?"

She looks at my sheepishly. "Can you go?"

I smile and nod but as I turn my face away, I roll my eyes. The person in front is always the one who has to deal with the obstacles first. I get down on all fours, push away part of a bush from the entrance - stupid first person obstructions - and crawl into the darkness.