Sequel: Demon Eyes
Status: Active, Please be Kind <3

Indigo Soul

Chapter Nine Against the world

Chapter Nine
Against the world
Karissa

My body ached as my senses returned to me. I could feel many things at once. The throbbing pain of my leg after being shot. Pain in my stomach and chest and the feel of bandages around my wrists. Then there was something sharp in my arm. As my eyelids lightened and I opened my eyes focusing them on my surroundings. I was in a very small cabin style room. Hooked up to an IV that had one bag of medicine and another bag of blood. My leg was bandaged where I had been shot. It looked like a medical professional had taken care of me. I winced from the pain in my ribs as I sat upright slowly.

I looked around the room and my eyes set in on him. Lazarus passed out in an armchair looking badly wounded himself.
“Idiot!”
I cried throwing off the blankets wincing in pain as I rushed to him dragging the IV behind me. I dropped down next to him checking for breathing or any signs of life. How could he do this? How could he take such good care of me and not worry about himself! Lazarus winced and a slight smirk came to his lips.

“You’re welcome”.
He said in a sarcastic tone no doubt in response to my outburst.
“You need help!”
I cried frantically. He looked down at me.
“Only enough supply’s for one. You’re more important”.
“Bullshit!”
He snickered again at my outburst. I took the IV out of my arm wincing a bit as I did. But I was fine now. I had to be fine now.
“Come on, you need help”.

I supported him getting Lazarus to the bed making sure he was alright laying down. He looked up at me.
“We don’t have any supplies. And you don’t know how to mend wounds”.
“You do right?”
I asked hopefully, he nodded.
“I use to read medical journals for fun”.
I smirked at him.
“Nerd”.
He laughed a weak laugh
“A nerd that saved your life”.
I smirked at him fighting back tears.
“I’m going to find you some supplies”
I said looking around the room for something to defend myself with. Lazarus gripped my hand.

“You can’t go alone.”
He urged looking scared now. I looked at him shaking my head lightly.
“Don’t worry about me. I’ll be ok”.
Lazarus didn’t look convinced.
“My sword"
He looked to the chair where his sword was supported to stand on its own.
“Didn’t you stab that demon with it?”
Lazarus smirked to himself.
“It’s bound to me. It goes where I go. At least take it with you so I’ll have some sense of where you are and if you’re ok”.

I nodded to him taking the sword into my hands looking back at him.
“I won’t be long, stay awake, I won’t know how to mend you when I get back if you’re passed out”.
Lazarus nodded to me.

“I’ll stay awake”.
I dashed down the steps looking around the abandon cabin. It looked like this place hadn’t been lived in for a long time. There was a set of keys sitting on the counter top. I grabbed them and rushed outside finding an old jeep. I rushed over to it and prayed there was gas in the tank and that it worked. I started it up and smiled to myself. No time like the present to teach myself how to drive.

I shifted gears getting the hang of things about half way into the small abandoned town. I didn’t know what this place was. I pulled up outside of a place called “McGraw Medical Supplies”. Turning off the jeep I jumped out taking Lazarus’s sword with me, I broke out the glass of the front door and no alarm went off. This place had the aura of death around it. I didn’t understand any of that. Where it was coming from and why there was no people here.

I grabbed bandages and every bag of blood and medicine that this place had packing it all up in the jeep. It took several trips from the store to the jeep and back again to get everything. Keeping his sword at my side I searched the store for anything else we might need in the coming weeks. I found a radio, batteries, some flash lights and a package of bottled water. I loaded it all up in the jeep and made a metal note that I would have to come back out to find food.

Coming back out to the jeep I stopped in my tracks sensing someone standing behind me. I clutched the hilt of Lazarus’s sword. Turning I faced the group of very pail looking men that stood looking at me.
“Looks like we’ve got fresh meat tonight boys”.

My eyes narrowed at the men as I drew Lazarus’s sword feeling his courage shooting through me. As the men lunged for me I moved as only Lazarus could slashing with the sword, I was quick and aimed for organs that I knew through him would cause death. Kicking the last guy off the sword I jumped into the jeep starting it up and pealing out of the parking lot.

I didn’t know what those men were, but they weren’t demons, and they weren’t angels either. They were something else. Something evil. I arrived back at the cabin and unloaded the jeep quickly making my way up to the bedroom lugging the supplies behind me.
“Lazarus! I”.
I trailed off as my eyes fixed on him, Lazarus was pail, and limp. And his eyes were closed.
♠ ♠ ♠
<3