Sequel: Demon Eyes
Status: Active, Please be Kind <3

Indigo Soul

Chapter Thirteen Honesty

Chapter Thirteen
Honesty
Karissa

It was raining in Chicago as we sat in a dinner that was just off to the north east end of the city. It wasn’t much but we could get a decent hot meal before continuing on our way. We’d made it across the border without any trouble. It was too easy if you asked me. That wasn’t really on my mind though, it was the way Lazarus described me to that agent.

I was just the one meant to destroy the realm of Hell. Only the girl that was fated to risk everything for the protection of the souls that occupied this planet. He made it sound so empty, like it. Or more like I truly meant nothing to him.
“Did I do something wrong?”
Lazarus spoke for the first time since we left Canada. I looked at him feeling my heart sink, I didn’t want to talk about it. I didn’t want to argue with him over something that really didn’t matter to him.

“It’s nothing Laz”.
I said referring to him as Laz felt right to me. It was easy to do and it made me smile, Laz and Risa Monroe were a newlywed couple going on their honeymoon. Even if these were fake identities, I wanted them to be true. But some part of me clenched inside. I wanted this to be true but as Karissa Kane and Lazarus Lunar.
Lazarus sighed to himself not buying my answer for a moment. We paid for our food and left back on the road again.

“You can talk to me you know Risa”.
I blushed again, Risa. It was a nickname, a pet name. I’d never been given one before. I turned myself to face him.
“I think we should focus on getting to Sanctuary don’t you?”
Lazarus sighed shaking his head pulling the car over he turned himself to face me.
“Risa talk to me”.
His voice was soft and inviting. I shook my head lightly, I’d never confessed to having feelings for someone before. He reached out and his hand grazed my cheek. The blank look in his eyes let me know he didn’t understand why he was doing it. I leaned into his touch closing my eyes as I did, his hand lingered for only moments and I wanted it to last forever.

“I’m falling in love with you”.
The words eased out of me as if by some magic all its own. I gaped at him as I realized what I had said. Lazarus let his hand fall away from my cheek turning himself away. He looked tense and I closed my eyes bracing myself for his rejection.
“I have a duty to protect you Karissa, It is my life’s mission, just as yours is to destroy hell and Lucifer. I can’t see you as anything more than our leader. The indigo soul. I need to focus on the task at hand and”.
“Enough”.
The words left me broken in tears as I turned away. I quickly wiped away the tears opening the car door and getting out of the car.

“I can’t believe I was so stupid”.
I said as I started to walk from him. I heard him get out of the car behind me.
“Risa! Wait!”
I kept walking.
“NO! Just stay away from me alright!”
I roared at him feeling like the dumbest girl in the world. I turned away from him again coming to a stop as the air around me changed. I felt something or someone nearby, as I stopped in my tracks she appeared out of nothing.
“Finally you’re out of the protection placed by your parents”.
The woman spoke as she walked towards me. I stood frozen as I gaped at her. She twirled what looked like a half wand half dagger in her hand.
“I have been hunting you for years and now here you are. Of course I have your aura and soul to thank for that”.

“Get away from her”.
Lazarus roared running towards us. The woman flicked her wand dagger knocking him backwards in a spark of red light. I heard him hit the ground. The woman grinned at him.
“Now that you have the earth shattering news that lover boy over there is only interested in playing hero I guess you’ve about lost the will to live. Which proves very positive for me”.
She grinned at me. I opened my mouth to speak but she constricted my throat with her wand dagger.

“Now now. No talking, I hate it when my prey tries to bond with me through conversation”.
I dropped to my knees unable to breath.
“KARISSA”.
I looked back seeing Fallon running towards me eyes narrowed. The woman rolled her eyes.
“Oh bloody hell”.

The woman slashed her wand dagger through the air knocking Ember and Skyler backwards as they were just behind her. Fallon avoided the attacks like a pro throwing herself forwards she landed a hit with her hunting knife slashing a deep gash across the woman’s cheek disorienting her. She drew an arrow from her quiver loading it into her bow and pulling back as she stood between me and her.

“Let her go now!”
Fallon growled. I struggled to breathe as the woman’s hold on me tightened. Lazarus fought to his feet rushing to my side looking around for some way to break the woman’s hold on me. He grabbed a large rock and lunged at the woman. She blasted him into a tree knocking him back and rounded on Fallon smirking as she held her wand dagger in the air summoning up a powerful storm.
“You really want to mess with this little girl?”

Fallon narrowed her eyes at the woman.
“I’ll take my chances”.
She let the arrow fly and the woman howled in pain as she was hit in the stomach. Fallon loaded another arrow in her bow.
“Next one goes between your eyes”.
She said through her teeth. I looked between the woman and Fallon. The woman narrowed her eyes at Fallon smirking at her.
“Such determination. The girl means something to you”.
“She means something to all of us”.
Ember said standing at my side, Skyler standing to the other side. Fallon kept her eyes narrowed.

“Let Karissa go or else!”
The woman laughed at them. To my shock and horror the three of them were heaved into the air by an unseen force their throats being gripped just as mine was. Fallon winced dropping her bow and arrows.
“You have no idea who you’re fucking with little girls”.
“Neither do you!”
Ashe boomed coming from nowhere driving his daggers into her back. The woman screamed in pain again but sent Ash crashing backwards like she had the others. She turned holding out her hand and knocking Eldritch backwards as he was sneaking up on her.
“Anyone else?”
She seethed looking around.

“Just me”.
I saw Leviathan approaching with twin swords in his hands. The woman smirked at him.
“Do you really want to get in my way?”
Leviathan smirked at her as he approached.
“In all honesty, I’d gladly hand her over to you if it was up to me. She’s in our way and she attracts more trouble than she’s worth. Your proof of that”.

I felt the tears coming to my eyes. The woman smirked at him.
“Then don’t get in my way, let me do away with her as I am meant to”.
Leviathan sighed starching the back of his head with one of his swords.
“Well see I’d like to, but. I can’t do that. I was kind of out voted so like her or not, I have to protect her”.

The woman snickered.
“Come to our side and you won’t have to protect her”.
I narrowed my eyes looking between them. Leviathan smirked at her.
“No thanks. I despise your kind and who you work for. I just happen to despise her too”.
I couldn’t take much more of this. Closing my eyes I fought back tears still unable to breath. The woman narrowed her eyes at him.

“Then get out of my way.”
As she slashed out at him he made his move diving her backwards moving just as fast as Lazarus with his swords. It was almost impossible for her to keep up with him and keep all her other spells going. With a powerful blast of magic she knocked us all backwards and weakened us. Approaching me she smirked grabbing me by my hair looking at Lazarus as he started to push himself upright.

“NO!”
He roared reaching for me as everything around me went up in crimson smoke. And my body gave in to its weakness.
♠ ♠ ♠
<3