Sequel: Demon Eyes
Status: Active, Please be Kind <3

Indigo Soul

Chapter Eight Stranded

Chapter Eight
Stranded

I didn’t sleep at all that night. I couldn’t take my eyes off of her, she was the most beautiful, most captivating entity I had ever experienced. She knew things about this world, things that would shatter anyone else to know. And still she had faith. And then there was her body, nothing more than a shell really. Earth angels are more aware of that then anyone. But I didn’t see her body as a mere shell. It was too perfect. Her face, her hair everything that made her into what she was. Our leader, our reason for being. My reason for being.

I could never tell her that though, protecting her was my mission and I couldn’t get distracted by her and how she captivated me. These feelings were all so new to me and I didn’t know how to deal with him. I remembered Leviathan telling me that girls were good for two things. Sex, and making other guys jealous that you’re having sex with them. The better they look the more jealous the other guys get.

But I could never bring myself to be as detached as Leviathan was when it came to Karissa. It would mean too much to me. To touch her, to hold her or kiss her. I’d never done any of those things with anyone. I was never even curious about those things. Because they didn’t matter to me, all that mattered was putting a stop to Lucifer consuming the souls of this world. Destroying the realm of Hell and freeing the realm of Heaven from its burden.

But now, as I was laying here watching her sleep with her back to me. I wanted all of those things. I was curious about them and I wondered what it was like to delight in the pleasure of another’s body. I shut my eyes tightly pushing the thoughts aside. I was in charge of protecting her, if things got too intense between us. I could slip up or let my guard down. And she would pay the price. Something awful could happen to her and then she’d be gone. And then I would suffer without her. I couldn’t go back, I couldn’t live without her as I had been all this time until now.

With this final thought stilling my desire I rolled onto my back facing away from her and closed my eyes forcing myself to sleep. But there was no escape, even in my dreams my desire followed me. Only in my dreams I wasn’t nearly as conscious. In my dreams, I was holding her, kissing her and feeling her body against mine.

When I opened my eyes again I found myself feeling cold, my heart heavy with the disappointment of reality crashing in on me. Duty before pleasure. A voice whispered in my mind. I looked over seeing the empty space next to me. I also noticed she had draped the blankets over me.

I could smell something really good coming from the main room. Getting up and pulling my shirt on I made my way towards the archway. Karissa was sitting at the coffee table humming happily to herself as she ate. The light from the sun beaming in on her. The red of the nightgown she was wearing brought out the vibrant blue of her eyes. Then she noticed me, smiling at me as she folded her hands in her lap.
“I thought we could eat something before going back”.
I entered the room sitting across from her again.

“Sounds like a good idea”.
I said starting to fill my plate with food she ordered. We ate and she slipped into the shower quickly before getting ready to go back. I stood by the windows now watching the world. It truly was a beautiful place in spite of all the buildings and arrogant occupants. Something this beautiful really was worth saving. I heard the elevator come to life behind me thinking nothing of it.

It was probably just Chet coming up to gather plates and get the room ready for someone else who would need it. When the grates opened I turned and was met with a hail storm of bullets. I dove fast out of the way behind the couch as the gunfire echoed all around me. My eyes fixed on the bedroom door. Karissa was still in the shower. The gunfire continued blowing the couch to pieces. When the gunmen stopped to reload I made my move sprinting into the bedroom and closing the door behind me locking it and heaving the dresser in front of it.

“Lazarus?”
Karissa said standing in the bathroom wrapped in a towel she looked scared. I grabbed her clothes pushing her back into the bathroom.
“Get dressed!”
I barked closing the door and putting anything I could find in front of it. I could hear the gunmen firing at the door to the bedroom trying to blow it apart to enter. Karissa looked at me in a panic.

“But I’m naked!”
I looked back at her.
“Just get dressed I won’t watch!”
I promised, she reluctantly let the towel fall from her body and started to get dressed as fast as she could. Footsteps echoed outside the bathroom door.
“I know you’re in there Lazarus”.
The sly familiar voice of a demon I was all too familiar with spoke from outside the door. I narrowed my eyes stepping back from the door.
“You’re making a huge mistake Damien!”
I called to him. I could hear his guns cocking outside the door.
“I don’t think so!”

Before the gunfire began I heard her call out from behind me.
“By the dragons light, on this night, I call to thee to give me your might! By the power of three I conjure thee, to protect all that surrounds me! So mote it be, so mote it be!!!”
Karissa was clutching a red hard cover book and as she spoke the words with all the fury and might of a goddess the bullets that fired through the wood of the door stopped dead hovering inches in front of me. I looked at Karissa who was trembling. Damien was frozen as if suspended in time.

“I don’t know how long this holds for!”
I grabbed her hand not needing any more explanation I rushed through the door knocking Damien down and rounding the corner with her. As we turned the corner the spell broke and Karissa screamed out falling to the ground. My eyes widened in horror at the thought of her being hurt. Her leg was bleeding as Damien closed in on us.

“Nice try, but you are still a novice when it comes to magic”.
I drew my sword knocking Damien back driving my sword through his shoulder impaling him to the wall. He growled at us as I grabbed Karissa in my arms.
“More are waiting! You won’t get out alive!”
I ran to the elevator getting in with Karissa and pushing the button for the garage. She clung to me whimpering in pain. I kept her close.

“So, strong enough to do a spell that needs three witches all on your own”.
I smiled at her. Karissa looked up at me like I was crazy for changing the subject form the fact there were demons trying to kill us. We reached the underground garage and I ran with her keeping her close to my chest. Rounding another corner sure enough there was more demons waiting on us. Whoever was rallying them to this cause had to be a high ranking hell agent.

I backed up keeping her close, one of the demons, this time a female smirked moving forwards.
“You can’t escape us Lazarus, hand over the girl and we’ll let you live”.
I narrowed my eyes at her.
“Go fuck yourself”.
I said flatly. She sighed shaking her hand.
“I didn’t want to do this. But you’ve left me no choice”.
She conjured up a ball of unstable energy and before I could react she set it flying at us. I dove out of the way with Karissa keeping her close. As the blast made impact with the ground an earth shattering exploration sent everything and everyone flying.

My ears were ringing from the exploration when I opened my eyes, I winced feeling the gashes and cuts on me. Karissa was laying out cold under me and the mortal authorities were on their way. I could hear them in the distance. As I looked back over my shoulder my eyes widened the hotel was reduced to rubble and god knows how many people died inside the exploration. I was grabbed roughly looking up to see Chet.
“You gotta get out of here”.
He said looking towards the fire trucks, police cars, ambulances and news trucks that were closing in on us. I nodded to him.

“Get word back to Lady Seraphim!”
He nodded to me and I hip tossed him to the ground slamming my fist towards his face, his head turned before I made impact making it look real. Then grabbing Karissa in my arms I took off running clutching her close to my chest. I ran as far from the scene as I could get before I let my wings out. The expanded brilliant and white from my back.
Wrapping my wings around the two of us I used them to teleport to the safest nearby location. We couldn’t get back to Sanctuary, the subways would be closed and tunnels would be blocked. It seemed for the time being, we were stranded above ground.
♠ ♠ ♠
<3