Status: In Progress

The Raven's Omen Book I

Prologue - The last of the Darklore bloodline

Severus Snape was not happy. He was far from pleased once his class had been abruptly interrupted by the Headmaster himself for news that could not wait until after his class. A deep scowl had etched into the Potions Master's face as he angrily muttered the password to the gargoyle that led up to Dumbledore's office. Once at the door he barges in with his black robes billowing behind him and quickly his dark eyes caught sight of the man he seeked.

Albus Dumbledore, a great and powerful wizard and also the Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, stood before his pensieve and looked as though he were in deep thought for he did not hear Snape enter his office.

Nostrils flared and a glare deepening towards the Headmaster, Snape spoke, "What is it that is so bloody important for you to interrupt my class in the middle of potion brewing?" he demanded, his voice dripping with sarcasm and rage.

The sound of Snape's voice seem to have snapped Dumbledore out of his thoughts and looked over at the enraged professor and smiled. His blue eyes twinkling like always that made Snape want to hex him into next week.

"Ah, Severus my boy, do come in, would you like a lemon drop?" he asks cheerily and holding out the said sweet.

"I would like to know what is so important enough for you to interrupt my class?" Severus glared, ignoring Dumbledore's offer.

Dumbledore's expression became a very thoughtful one as he stroked his beard that only made Snape's face look very livid. Merlin forbid, if he had forgotten-

"Ah yes," Dumbledore spoke, his tone of voice changing into a very serious one which made an eyebrow arch upwards on Snape. "Do have a seat Severus."

Snape took a seat in one of the armchairs whilst Dumbledore stood in front of him and sat at the very edge of his desk with his hands laced together in front of him.

"I am terribly sorry Severus, but I have just received word that your elder sister, Elizabeth, has been murdered," his voice held seldom as he looked at Snape with pitiful look.

Every muscle in Snape's body had tensed up and his jaw locked in place as those words echoed in his mind. Dead? How? When? He couldn't find his voice as he opened his mouth to speak but they were caught.

"W-When did this happen?" he asks in a very low tone.

"Last month."

Snape stood abruptly, anger washing over him again.

"And I was not informed of this!?" he yells.

Dumbledore holds up a hand to silence the enraged man, his demeanor remaining calm.

"Severus, your sister at first had gone missing, the Aurors just now pronounced her dead for there was no body found," he explains and coaxes Snape gently. "I am terribly sorry for your loss Severus, but now this leads to the other topic at hand that I must inform you as well," Snape's eyes flicker with confusion. What else could be possibly more important now that he knows his beloved elder sister is dead?

"I do believe that you remember the Darklores' correct?"

That name clicked in Snape's head quickly. How could he forget? He knew the only son of the Darklores', Damon Darklore, a man he loathed just as much as James Potter, and also the man that his sister had married. How he came to know the man was through the ranks of the Death Eaters when he became one. Damon Darklore was also a Death Eater and had a very arrogant and sinister aura about him that made him feel unease for his sister's well being. Unfortunately once after the Dark Lord's demise, he never heard from Damon ever again, nor his sister. No letters, nothing but he didn't care as he was grieving over the death of Lily Potter at the time and never sought to even visit the Darklore Estate.

"The entire Darklore family has disappeared as well it seems," Dumbledore's voice cut through Snape's deep thought.

"What do you mean?" he questions.

"During their investigation, the Aurors searched the Darklore Manor for Damon Darklore for questioning about the whereabouts of Elizabeth Darklore, the entire manor had been abandoned."

Snape's gaze sunk downwards to the floor, his mind a blur with thoughts and questions that he knew could never be answered. He felt grief beginning to grasp him tightly in its painful clutches for his dear sister.

"That is of course, until I went there to conduct my own investigation," Snape's head snapped back up and little hope filled him as he looked at the elderly wizard.

"You found someone?" Dumbledore nods at his question.

"Unfortunately it is someone whom you never met Severus, but she is related to you."

"She?"

With a nod, Dumbledore gestured Snape to follow him. "Come with me," he tells him and they both make haste out of the office.

---

Snape had quickly noticed as to where Dumbledore was leading him to, the Hospital Wing. Upon entering, Snape saw two familiar faces standing before one of the many hospital beds.

Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy.

His entire body had tensed up again as they closed the distance between them and the couple. Narcissa was first to see Snape, her eyes brimmed with tears and she walks over to Snape.

"Oh Severus, I'm so sorry for your loss," she tells him before embracing him and taking him completely off guard and very uncomfortable with this kind of affection.

"Narcissa," he quietly spoke as she pulled away, "What are you both doing here?"

"The minister requested us here on behalf of Elizabeth," she tells him, wiping away tears with a handkerchief. "She's beautiful Severus."

An eyebrow is raised, confusion had once again bombarded him with questions in his head.

"Who?"

Narcissa held somewhat of a surprised look and gently pulled at his arm and led him over to the bed where he saw a young girl, around the age of three, unconscious. Her black hair tossled among the pillows and her left shoulder had been bandaged and it seemed that there was more bandages reaching back towards her back. Snape kept a stone expression and looked over at Albus who stroked the young girl's hair and looked up at Snape.

"Meet that last person to bear the Darklore name," he pauses, very unsure whether or not to tell Snape. "And she is also your niece."
♠ ♠ ♠
So how's that for a prologue? Feedback is greatly appreciated! Let me know what you think.