Beast

Prologue

I take a deep in through my nose and exhale through my mouth, I place my hand on the door to the local pub, now named Angel’s Bar. With one final, mental pep talk, I open the door and enter. My boots clicking loudly on the olden wooden floor as heavy mental plays in the background.

I nibble down on my lip nervously seeing most the town situated in the small bar, enjoying their Friday evening. I avoid eye contact with any one as I quickly scan the bar, looking for someone in particular. I sigh seeing he isn’t here, I look up at the clock located above the bar, I am 10 minutes early.

I feel all eyes on me, I scrunch my nose and make my way to the bar, deciding I need some alcohol. I recognise the girl behind the bar, however I don’t recall her name.

“What can I getcha?” she questions, eyeing me up.

Licking my lips, I order, “Whiskey, on the rocks please.”

She places a glass in front on me, filled with two ice cubes and pours the whiskey. I grab some money out of my wallet and hand it to her, all whilst feeling a familiar pair of eyes on me, burning holes.

“Business or pleasure?” she quizzes me curiously.

Knowing he is watching, I ask her, “Sorry, what?”

Raising an eyebrow, she hands my change back to me and teases, “Or are you lost?”

Shaking my head, a small laugh leaves me lips before I chug the whiskey down. I cringe as it washes down my throat before informing her sarcastically, “I wish.”

“Oh come on Hol, some of us are happy to see your beautiful face,” his deep voice fills my ears, making the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Placing my glass down the counter, I look at it as his words sink in. He was the reason I left in the first place. I never said goodbye to him, I packed what I could and ran, ran away from him and this pathetic excuse of a town.

“Connor,” I finally manage to say, saying his name for the first time in years.

I finally pull my eyes away from the drink, to look at him and take in his appearance. My eyes trace the scar over his left eye, his long black hair and thick black beard with a tint of white. He has aged since I last saw him, there has always been a small age gap.

I was infatuated with Connor when I was younger, he is 6 years my senior and I hung on every word he said. He was my first love, the guy who took my virginity and of course, the guy that broke my heart.

He leans against the bar, watching me intently with a smirk playing on his lips and his arms crossed over his chest. Tilting his head to the side, he looks me up and down.

Licking his lips, he remarks, “You have gotten better with age Hol.”

I cringe at him using my old nickname. Running my hair through my shoulder length hair, I lie, “If only you were so lucky.”

Not only does this wipe the smirk off his face, but it also causes the girl behind the bar to snicker. However, she stops as his eyes dart to her before he looks at me. Shaking his head while he chuckles, he is about to say something but is interrupted.

“Holly?” John yells out, as he enters the bar.

Smiling at the bar tender, I exclaim softly, “Thank you.”

I turn on my heels and move towards the door, I stop after a few steps and look over my shoulder at Connor. He is watching me with curiosity as he continues to lean against the bar, showing of his muscular arms.

“Connor,” I exclaim simply with a nod, before walking towards John. I follow him outside the bar and towards his old beaten up truck.

“I see I came just in time,” John remarks with a shake of his head, as we climb inside his truck. I take my back pack off and put in on my lap. Leaning my head against the seat, I mumble, “That you did.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Image
Enjoy x