These Little Wonders

Chapter 15

It was like watching Felix in a candy store as she pressed her nose up against the windows.

"Oh Brendon look!" Felix squealed, pointing.

She did that almost every few seconds, pulling him one way or the other to show him something new.

A lot had happened in the past few days between Felix and Brendon.

Since their confession in the tub they had spent a lot of time between their houses and the studio.

Felix wouldn’t admit it but they had for the most part moved in with each other.

When they weren’t at Brendon's house together they were at hers, so much so that there were wigs and skinny jeans in places where there usually weren't.

Brendon had tried to discuss moving in with her since her house had more meaning to it, but Felix had a thing about commitment, mainly the lack of it.

She refused to be called his girlfriend but when someone asked she's slip a grin and an arm around him and introduce him as her life partner.

Despite all this and how uncommitted they were, Brendon drove Felix up to the pound to get them a pet.

He wasn't going to be around for much longer since they were already starting publicity for the new record but he wasn’t going to leave her completely alone.

"Oh Brendon, I love that one!" Felix exclaimed, jumping up and down.

Brendon made his way over to where she was pointing at a small tuft of toffee colored fur.

"Is that a bunny?"

She grinned widely and nodded. "He's perfect."

Brendon was skeptical but was too preoccupied with other thoughts to question her.

The record was almost finished and he was going to leave soon for tour, and there was no telling when he'd be back.

"You know I have to go tomorrow." He murmured behind her, slipping his hand in hers.

Felix moved away, her expression the same as before with a hint of amusement.

"Yeah... oh look at that cute little bunny, he looks like a stuffed animal." She grinned.

Brendon sighed and stepped away from her.

This wasn’t the first time he'd reminded her he was leaving, nor was it the first time she had brushed off the weight of his words like she didn’t care.

It annoyed him to no end to how unfeeling she was.

Felix refused to commit to them as a couple, she never used any words other than 'like', and rarely broke her mask to tell him how she felt.

They were permanently stuck in a limbo of Brendon constantly chasing after Felix, and it very nearly drove him mad.

"Can we get the bunny now Brenny?" Felix asked, batting her eyelashes up at him.

He sighed and nodded, daring enough to take her hand in his and lead her over to the girl working there.

"Uh, we'll take the brown bunny over there please, uh," Brendon leaned forward to peer at her name tag. "Liz."

She flashed him a flirtatious grin and leaned casually forward.

"You know, you look strikingly like Brendon Urie, you know that?" She said in a knowing tone with a playful smile.

Brendon blushed a little at looked down nervously.

"Yeah... yeah I get that a lot. But mostly it's in the form of a scream."

Liz giggled and brushed a strand of her dark brown hair behind her ear.

She was different from Felix in so many ways.

Felix's boyish build looked even less feminine next to Liz's full figure, her long brown hair cut to the latest teenage fashion.

She was the exact kind of girl most guys fawned over, the kind boys spent years of high school chasing after, and here she was doing the exact opposite for him.

At the same moment he was appraising her out of the corner of his eyes she was doing the same to Felix.

"Is Brendon buying the bunny for you?" She asked, not faltering in the slighted though there was a hint of confusion in her eyes.

Felix nodded and Brendon couldn’t help but notice she was oddly uncomfortable by the way the conversation had turned.

"That is so sweet of you to do for her. I'm working here to get myself through my second year of college and no one's come in here and done that the entire two years. You're such a good big brother." Liz smiled warmly at Brendon, less than subtly putting out her age along with the implication she was his sister.

Felix's hand fell limp in Brendon's grasp at Liz's words, her entire presence fading away.

"So how old are you sweetheart?"

Felix shrank back into herself.

For the first time in her life since she promised herself to be happy like her mother wanted she felt... silly.

Worse, ridiculous, absurd, pathetic... everything society tied to her pink wig and skirt/pant combo.

"Twenty-two." She whispered, staring down intently at her beat up converse high tops. "And I'm not his sister."

It was not only Liz who was surprised but Brendon as well, trying to figure out when she had turned twenty-two and how he had missed it.

Liz was still trying to salvage this though with a nervous laugh. "Oh she's so darling. I remember when I was three I told everyone I was thirteen."

Silently, trying to hide under the cover of her pink hair and the sailor's hat she had stuck on it, Felix pulled out her license.

She flashed it for a moment but it was just enough time for Liz to catch on and to distract Brendon so by the time he looked back up Felix was running out the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'M ALIVE!
Still no power, meaning no Internet, but my darling friend the infamous Liz (and cold reader for this story) has everything up and running and was kind enough to kidnap me this afternoon.
About two hours before the hurricane got major insane and decided to cut off my power indefinitely I did the most amazing thing... I finished this story, thereby finishing all of my active stories!
My newest conundrum is figuring out what to post next... problem is... most everything I have is between half to two parts long, and with no power there are further problems.
So hell, if you've got an idea for someone to write about kindly offer it, if I don't make a story for him it'll probably be a oneshot (due to Liz annoying me about my lack of oneshots and my very real access to paper and time since school is closed all week so far).
OH! And in case you didn't notice the girl checking Bren out, her name was also Liz.
That was revenge for her bugging me about him so much and I threatened to put her in a story just to kill her.
(So the backstory is after she was closing up the shop that night the animals went rabid and attacked her; she was found the next morning covered in feathers, kibble, and blood.)
That's karma.