These Little Wonders

Chapter 16

An hour had passed since Felix ran away before Brendon had found her.

She was in her customary spot on the limb on the tree in the park where they had made their first date so long ago.

Even from the distance he walked up he could tell she had been crying.

Brendon didn’t quite understand it, but then again he had never quite understood Felix.

Nevertheless he continued like there was a string pulling him to her.

"Felix."

She didn’t bother to look up but her shoulders sinking lower were the only indication he had that she knew he was there.

Neither of them said anything, letting the tension surround them like separate security blankets.

In the distance children could be heard laughing and playing in the park like a sick reminder of happier days.

Brendon, confused by this whole thing, but with lingering animosity, decided to ignore the major events of the pet store and go for something random.

"You never told me it was your birthday, I completely missed it.." He murmured, his hands shoved deeper than possible in his pockets.

She shrugged and withdrew deeper into the curtain her short brown hair created around her face and it was then Brendon noticed she had lost her trademark pink hair somewhere along the way.

"Birthday's aren't important to me Brendon." Felix replied, practically motionless.

"Why?" He asked.

She shrugged. "Things like that lose their importance when you don't have anyone to share them with."

Brendon realized then that what Felix said was the closest she'd gotten to really revealing herself, but that only drove him further to the reason he had come to find her.

"Why did you freak out in the pet shop?"

The emotionless mask she wore didn’t even crack, not even for words.

To prove he wasn’t going anywhere till she answered Brendon sat down on the grass, despite being damp and cold from the recent rain.

It felt a little like the Romeo and Juliet balcony scene, to the point where Brendon was prepared to compare Felix to gloves and roses if it would make her smile.

"Do I really look like your sister?"

Brendon rose an eyebrow. "Is that what this is about?"

For the first time since he showed up Felix looked at him, and with one look she said more than she'd ever need to with words, telling him that was the least of her problems.

"I'm nothing to you." She mumbled. "She... you could've gone with her and I wouldn't have been able to do anything. Because I'm nothing to you."

Brendon sighed, not quite believing what she said.

The fact Felix would believe she was- meant nothing to him, astounded him.

Though as she said that he could feel the same lingering doubt in his mind that he was sure was in hers.

And he was going to do something about that, because despite Felix ignoring it all, it wasn’t going to stop him.

"I'm leaving tomorrow Felix. I'm leaving tomorrow." Brendon said in an even voice, only making it sound all the more heavy.

Though she still sat unmoving, her eyes peeked down at him from under the cover of her bangs.

"If you want this to be something Felix, for us to be together, all you have to do is say it." Brendon murmured levelly, standing up.

Felix knew she should say something, she even knew the exact words he was waiting to hear... but they wouldn’t come to her.

"Please Felix." Brendon murmured, his eyes pleading. "I'm going on tour. Give me something to come back to."

Once more a calm voice in her mind logically reminded her that if one girl a few years younger than her sent her running, how would she handle millions of them throwing themselves at Brendon?

And that, along with the realization the voice sounded like her mothers, stunned her to silence and froze the words that could've led to a happy ending right where they had formed.

She sat there in silence on the tree branch just long enough for Brendon to get the message, the unspoken words that chipped at his heart painfully.

Felix watched in frozen horror as Brendon turned his back to her and walked away.

She held out hope all night that maybe Brendon would return, but with the morning came the heavy truth.
♠ ♠ ♠
Alrighty folks, still no power, but four more to go!
I have a request too, can I get suggestions of people to write a story about?
I have a pointless but soon to be adorable little story over here and it's currently about Alex Greenwald of Phantom Planet but I've decided to change that and am in a conundrum right now.
I could write two William Beckett stories but I'd rather not... it could be another PATD story but I'd need someone else to encourage me to do that... so I'd rather have suggestions from other people, not saying it can't be PATD or anyone from TAI, I just need the motivation.
Lots of love to you loyal people reading my other story that isn't the intimidating scale of my first William Beckett story + sequel, you're some of my favorites, especially the regulars that comment.
Those people have a special place in my heart, even if I'm too much of a deadbeat to tell them that (someday I will).