These Little Wonders

Chapter 2

Brendon wasn't sure how this happened.

One day he's alone, sinking into the shadow of the world's problems, and the next he's on his couch watching scratchy black and white cartoons.

With Felix.

He had planned on perhaps going out to refill his fridge when there was a knock at the door, the same number and pace as the day she showed up on his doorstep.

This day Felix was there, a plate of chocolate chip cookies in her hands.

Instead of the sugary pink hair he had seen her with when they first met, her locks were longer and straighter, not to mention purple.

One thing led to another and he was watching the cat version of Felix on his TV with the girl next to him.

"I know I'm biased but Felix the Cat is so much cooler than Mickey Mouse." She smirked, biting into a cookie.

"Yeah, whoever needed a singing mouse? Sound only complicates things." Brendon agreed.

Felix giggled. "Says the guy who makes his living off of singing and sound."

He shrugged and bit into a cookie of his own.

"And you wonder why I lock myself in my house all day."

Felix looked at him with her head tilted like a dog would do.

"I just assumed you had some disfigurement or were antisocial." She said seriously.

Brendon raised an eyebrow as her stoicism turned into a large grin.

"It's nice to know it's just the antisocialness."

Crossing his arms, Brendon huffed.

"I'm not antisocial! I'm around people all the time on tour. I just assumed all the neighbors were either old, in grade school, or newly wed."

Felix began giggling.

"You're so serious!" She cracked, leaning back into the couch in giggles.

Brendon still continued to scowl, though on the inside he was finding it hard not to laugh with her.

"Well I prove your whole theory wrong. I'm not old, a school kid, or newly wed."

As she said that Brendon couldn't help but laugh, seeing her in a tank top and suspenders hanging a few inches lower than her shorts that Brendon swore looked like the ones hanging in his closet.

"Are you sure? Because you could pass easily as a freshman."

Felix shrugged with a sigh.

"Yeah cops pull me over a lot because of it. I could try to look older but it's no fun. Old people are all serious." She explained with an overdramatic frown while pulling her I.D. from her pocket. "But see, I'm twenty one."

Brendon looked at the I.D. closely.

He looked back and forth between her and the picture while doing the math from the birth date in his head.

"You're fucking serious."

Another large grin spread across her face as she pulled her legs in Indian style, attempting to braid her violet bangs until Ben was satisfied."

"You look like such a kid though." He finally said.

She shrugged, giving up on her hair.

"What can I say; it's what makes me original."

Brendon chuckled under his breath as he bit into yet another cookie.

He savored the taste before saying something to her.

"So what's up with the cookies?" He asked, mouth slightly full.

Felix leaned back and looked at the near empty plate.

"Well when I get bored I bake, and when I bake I get lonely. So I thought to myself, who do I know?"

Brendon cut her off. "And I popped into your mind?"

She made a face. "No, actually the Cookie Monster did but they're trying to destroy his Pepperidge Farm ways, so then I thought about you being all by your lonesome self; and here I am."

A smile grew on Brendon's lips just at the notion of her thinking about him.

"Well I hope you get bored more often."

Felix snorted.

"Is that your way of saying you hope I end up on your doorstep with food more often?"

Brendon paused to think.

He replied pretty nonchalantly, nodding into a grin, "Yeah."

With an inquisitive eyebrow raised from Felix he added to it.

"I'm a teenage guy; free food is pretty awesome when you can't cook."

Felix smirked and looked at him with determination.

"Well then Brendon, I promise you, someday soon I will teach you how to cook."

With an approving nod Brendon agreed, deciding to change the subject to something that had been bothering him for a while.

"So... you're hair... I barely got used to the pink and now it's purple..."

Felix glanced at Brendon.

"Was there a question in that?"

He gave her a funny sort of confused smile and tried to answer her.

"Well I was just curious I guess as to why? I mean it's just not very normal."

Felix got up off the couch without answering him and, seeing that the movie was over, popped the DVD out.

She continued to ignore the question as she grabbed a cookie and stood in front of him.

Finally she opened her mouth.

"See Brendon, here's the thing... I'm not normal."

With those words and another flash of a grin, she walked out the door.

For a few moments Brendon blinked, not quite sure what happened but still wondering when exactly she'd show up again.
♠ ♠ ♠
I love this story but I found out today the part 10 I had written has disappeared.
I'm very sad... it was a great part...