These Little Wonders

Chapter 9

"Felix what are you doing?" Brendon asked.

She looked up from her spot on the sidewalk, colors of chalk smeared all over her face.

"Coloring." Was all she said, brushing back a strand of long chestnut hair, only adding to the colors on her face.

Brendon laughed and bent down to wipe away some of it.

He couldn't quite tear his eyes away from the bright green shorts she was wearing, or the neon purple leg warmers she had over her beat up black converse.

She was completely mismatched with all that and a button down army shirt in dark green and the pilot's hat pulled over her hair.

It was that uniqueness she had that drew Brendon in like a moth to a flame.

After tearing his eyes away from her he looked down at her chalk drawing, a blur of bright colors that upon closer look were flowers of all types and shades.

"That's amazing." He breathed.

Felix looked up with a wide grin and a pink smudge over her right eye.

"Thank you very muchly Brenny." She replied with a salute.

He had to resist the very strong urge to sweep her up in his arms and kiss her like there was no tomorrow.

But instead he held out his hand to help Felix up off the ground.

"So it's been a while." Brendon started awkwardly.

Felix giggled and rolled her eyes. "Yeah try three days Bren, going through withdrawals perhaps?"

He grinned and ruffled his hair.

"Maybe a little." He muttered, letting his hand linger on hers a little longer.

Felix's usual demeanor changed as he let go, a look of longing passing over her features for a moment.

Before Brendon could say anything, any words to change their relationship, a loud resounding clash of thunder broke through the air.

Seconds afterward before he could send one glance to Felix the rain came pouring down, soaking them in moments.

"Oh shit!" He exclaimed, covering his head.

Felix on the other hand began laughing, sticking her arms out, spinning in the rain.

In the middle of November even in Vegas it was cold.

It was one thing when Felix was wearing shorts, but in the added cold her lips, amongst all the other colors on her face began turning blue.

"We need to get inside somewhere." Brendon announced over the precipitation. "You're turning blue."

She giggled, though her giggle turned into something of a shudder and clatter of teeth.

Brendon quickly pulled the jacket he had on off and slipped it over Felix.

"My house is kind of far away, do you think you can make it there?"

Felix, still shaking uncontrollably, shook her head.

"My house is closer." She stuttered, pulling the jacket and Brendon closer and almost running down the street.

Brendon held her close the entire way, using the situation to his advantage and in an attempt to keep her warm and sheltered.

In no time however she led him to a house similar to his, two stories, big lawn, and too much space for one person.

They got inside, splattering half their body weight in the form of water onto the wooden floors.

Felix wasted no time in peeling off her wet clothes, giving Brendon almost no warning to cover his eyes, the values he was raised on suddenly kicking in.

He supposed when they were in the park and she dared him to streak that she really did have no shame.

While he was left alone in the living room, Brendon's eyes began wandering over the house.

His eyes fell over pictures of Felix as a child through the years.

Some were in the arms of a woman looking not unlike her.

Family portraits with Felix and an older boy making faces in the background.

The photos that startled Brendon the most were of the same woman, Felix's mother he guessed, with the same hair, same wigs, as Felix.

Brendon leaned in to take a closer look, just noticing the lack of color in her face when Felix walked in.

Her hair was damp and the chalk had all but washed off but even in her kimono and towel she was glowing.

"I brought you a towel, figured it might..." She trailed off, seeing where Brendon had been looking.

Felix faltered for a moment, her sparkle fading.

In a split second though she had gone back to her usual cheerful and quirky persona.

"I figured you might want to get dry."

Brendon's throat had gone dry but he nodded.

"I uh, have some of my brother's old clothes if you want to change into those and let yours dry, or you know I could wait for you to get sick and lose your voice." Felix finished with a smirk, knowing that bringing up his voice could get him to do just about anything.

Brendon sighed in defeat, though he couldn't hold back his smile.

"Fine... lead the way."
♠ ♠ ♠
Someone asked me in a comment what was up with Felix changing her hair so I wanted to kind of get closer to that explanation.
I kind of hinted on it in this chapter but I'll explain it in the next chapter.
Anyway this story has been one of the reasons of my writer's block, namely part fifteen, but I'm working on it.
So yeah, enjoy.