Mute

Chapter 6

I walked at a slow pace through the hallways. I made my way to a bathroom. Once I was sure there was no one in the room I went over to the mirror. The makeup I had placed on the fading bruise was still there, it wasn't as smudged as I thought it would be after three class periods.

I was currently skipping lunch for three reasons. One, I wasn't hungry. Two, I wanted to avoid Vic. Three, I wasn't in the mood to go to the lunch room. I bit my lip gingerly as I thought about things. It's been two days since my father gave me the beating. It's also been two days since I began vomiting at random times during the day, mostly in the mornings.

I had an idea of what was wrong, but I was hoping it was not the case. I knew it was possible, it's happened to a guy I once knew. However, I did not need the stress of that on my back. I looked away from the mirror and down at the sink. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath in then out. When I looked back at the mirror I noticed someone watching me. I looked at them through the mirror. Once he realized I was looking at him, Vic smiled a friendly smile.

"Hi." he went to stand next to me. "You alright?" he asked, looking at me with a worried look.

"F-f-ine an-d dan-dy." I muttered bitterly. I turned to look away from him. I've been trying so hard to avoid him for the last few days.

"Kellin I want to help-" I cut him off before he could finish his sentence.

"No y-y-you d-don't-t! Y-y-you d-don't-t kn-know a god d-d-damn t-thing a-ab-out-t me! Wh-y-y a-are y-you b-b-being so nic-ce t-to me a-all of a-a s-s-sudden?!" I yelled, turning to face him. He looked at me with a surprised expression.

"I..." He was a lost for words.

"J-j-just l-le-ave me a-alone. I-I-It's f-or the b-best t-t-th-at y-you d-don-'t g-get t-to k-k-know me." I said, pushing past him and leaving the bathroom. I didn't give a glance behind me, I just kept walking.

I decided to go to the library, the librarian didn't seem to care that I was in here either. She probably knew or didn't know I was in here. I glanced around the room. It was a pretty large room, books lined all of the walls. The wall on the left of the entrance had a desk towards the middle, the librarian was sitting there doing paper work. On the right of the entrance where 7 different colored beanbags. Each beanbag was a color of the rainbow and was spread out.

Towards the middle of the room was a long table that could hold up to 10 people and computers, five on either side. To the left of that where some tables for studying, or reading. I noticed there where a few book shelves near the area of the beanbags. There were a few students in here, not many, at least five and no more than 10.

I noticed a guy with a black hood over his head, his dark brunet bangs draped to the side, just enough so they were not in his crystal blue eyes. He was reading a book, his fingers tracing over the words as he read. He didn't look like he was blind, maybe he had a habit of reading like that?

When I sat down the guy barely even noticed me. He gave a small glance in my direction, but then looked back at the book he was reading. I pulled out some math homework that I had to do, deciding it was best to do it now. I probably wouldn't be able to do it at that hell I call a home.

I bit my lip, just thinking about what my father could do gave me chills. I hated him and I would be stuck with him until I turned 18, or died. It depended on which one would come first. I shake the thought of my father and try my best to focus on the math problems. I was doing good on the math homework, until I got to this one problem.

I furrowed my eyebrows, tapping the pencil lightly on the table. I let out a frustrated sigh after trying it several times. I sat my pencil down, running my fingers through my ebony hair. I heard someone tap the place in front of me, I looked towards the person. It was the brunet guy.

I looked at him with a confused expression, he handed me a note. I looked at him questionably, he motioned for me to open it and I did.

'Do you need help? I'm mute and a little bit deaf, I know sign lang if that helps? ' The note read. I placed the note down, looking at him. He gave me a worried look, a small smile appeared on my face.

'I know sign language too.' I motioned, using sign language. The guy looked relieved to see that I knew sign language.

'which problem do you need help on?' he asked, looking down at the book. I turned the book and pointed to the problem. Once he finished reading it he began to try his best to explain how to do it. It took me a few tries to get the problem right, but I was able to do it with his help.

'thank you' I signed honestly.

'no problem.' he smiled a genuine smile.

'see you around?' I signed, hearing the bell ring for next class.

'Wait.' he signed back, grabbing a piece of paper and writing something down. He then handed the paper to me. 'Text me sometime? I'd like to be a friend of yours.' I gave a small smile, nodding. It wasn't every day that I found someone like him.

We then went our separate ways. I went to gym class, and he went to whatever his next class was. Gym class went by alright, nothing major happened. I scored a few goals for the team, my team mates quickly learned to pass me the ball whenever they had the opportunity to. I didn't complain, soccer was my sport.

When I changed back into my regular clothes, and freshened up, I made sure to stay away from the other guys. The people who where on my team didn't like me all that much, they only used me to win the game. I didn't care as long as they didn't do anything to me about it.

I sat on the bench as I waited for the bell for the last class ring. When it did I began to walk out of the gym, but was stopped by the coach. I looked up at him nervously.

"Y-yes, s-sir?" I asked quietly.

"Try outs for the school's soccer team is next Friday. I would love it if you could try out. I can tell you have the potential to be a good player." he paused. "you don't have to try out if you don't want to, but I highly recommend it. We need some good players on the team." I looked at him with a sort of shocked expression.

"O-Okay. I-I'll t-t-think about it." I said, nodding as I let those words sink in.

"Now go onto your next class." he ordered, and I obliged to the order.

I've always wanted to be on a soccer team, but I never thought I was good enough. Maybe I could try out? It would mean I'd have to practice some before hand, and pray that I am prepared to be on the team. I bit my lip, thinking about my scars and cuts. Those would be hard to hide, but I think I could pull it off.

Then there was my dad. Maybe I could make him proud by getting on the soccer team. I know he used to be a soccer player for his high school in his day, but he was kicked off. I'm not for sure why he was kicked off either.

I sighed in frustration. I had no clue what I was going to do. Hopefully Vic wasn't in my last class of the day. I needed that time to think about all this logically.