So Kiss Me Goodbye

Chapter 31

"Hey hon how was your day?" Shelby asked brightly.

She dropped the bags she had onto the kitchen counter before hopping over the couch and plopping down next to me.

"I'm alive if that helps." I muttered.

"You're so pessimistic; it couldn't have been that bad." She laughed, ruffling my hair as I rolled my eyes. "I'm sure you weren't that sick."

I hated the thought of lying to Shelby so I shrugged.

Shelby chuckled as she got up and headed to the kitchen. "Well maybe I can make you feel better; I picked you up some chicken soup on my way home."

The thought was nice but as she uncovered it and the smell wafted over to me my gag reflex kicked in full force.

My head was quickly back in the toilet bowl.

Hello morning sickness my new drinking buddy.

After a minute or two I dragged myself back to the couch, downing some water and Saltines courtesy of Jamie.

"Wow I guess you weren't kidding about your sick day."

I laughed tiredly. "Yeah, you have no idea..."

The sound of pots and pans clanging made me turn my attention to her.

"What are you doing?"

Shelby stopped. "Um well I didn't want to bother while you were sick and it's super last minute. It's Ryan's last night in town and he asked if I'd make him a home cooked dinner."

"I don't care and, not that it's a bad thing in this apartment, but all you can cook is breakfast. If you couldn't I would've starved by now."

Laughing she replied. "Yeah that's why were having eggs, bacon, and some hash browns."

I raised an eyebrow. "Hash browns? You're gonna see if he puts ketchup on them aren't you?"

"No!" She exclaimed hastily before sighing. "Yeah... it's just so weird."

"Weirdo..." I muttered, laughing when she playfully smacked the back of my head. "Hey I lose brain cells when you do that!"

Shelby laughed, rolling over the back of the couch so she landed lying down next to me.

"This'll sound weird but it feels like something's changed between me and you."

Inwardly I sighed at Shelby's mind reading abilities, finding I'd have to lie to her or at least omit the truth.

I shrugged, moving her head onto my lap. "I dunno you and I both have boyfriend's occupying our time."

It wasn't a complete lie, it was just something that could be the truth.

The past few weeks we had been busy with a lot.

The only time we really spent time with each other was that trip we took around town with Jamie and Natalie a while ago and this morning when she was taking care of me.

It wasn't like hanging out was mandatory since we lived together but we were both so caught up in work and our love lives that I barely said a few sentences to her a day.

And they were all either 'pass the coffee' pot or 'is the toast edible'.

"Maybe I should call Ryan and reschedule and we have a girl's night in." She mused.

Quickly I replied. "Don't you dare make that phone call. You two will have a beautiful evening, whether or not he has ketchup with his hash browns, and it'll be so amazing that the next time you see him he'll practically jump your bones upon sight."

She laughed loudly as she got up off the couch, making sure to give me a big hug.

"Thank you, thank you, and thank you! I love you Lilly Billy!"

"Weirdo..." I murmured again, just to get the same reaction as I remembered Will.

"Oh before I forget again Will's flying in tomorrow."

"Before you forget?" Shelby asked wide eyed. "That should've been the first thing out of your mouth!"

"Well it's last minute... kind of today last minute."

"What for?"

Once again I shrugged. "We need to talk about stuff and I want to see him."

"Uh huh." She nodded, not seeming to believe me.

I sighed. "Look I'll tell you tomorrow I promise, I just need to talk to Will first."

"Are you getting married?" She asked.

I shook my head.

"Are you moving in together?"

"Nope."

She gave it a final try.

"Are you having a baby?"

"I'll tell you tomorrow, okay? Shouldn't you be cooking anyway?"

Her eyes went wide as she muttered some obscene phrase I have to faze her out of in the next few months for the sake of my kid.

No one wants their kid's first words to be 'holy shit'.

This could be a problem with the friends I have; mainly Travis.
♠ ♠ ♠
Suspense is turning into my new drinking buddy.
In case you couldn't tell, I really think ketchup and hashbrowns is weird.
If someone could explain that to me I'd definitey update more than usual.
Oh and I'm saying this now that I LOVE demanding readers.
To me it's love.
Plus it really makes me want to update.
I'm not gonna say much more since I'm watching a Ben Barnes interview while I'm writing this.
I'm weird, I've got my home computer to my right with this on it and my dad's laptop with the video right in front of me.
Can you say multi-tasking?