So Kiss Me Goodbye

Chapter 45

"So you're the one that got my little sister knocked up?" Matt asked from his seat at the wheel.

I waited for Will's answer from the backseat as I left him to the mercy of my brother, and soon my family.

"Yeah, I guess you could put it that way." Will replied awkwardly.

"And what are your plans with her and the baby?" He continued.

Will's eyes flickered to meet mine in the rearview mirror, making me rethink my stance in the conversation.

"Matt you're treading on dangerous ground." I warned, attempting to seem nonchalant staring out the window.

He turned to me. "What? I think I'm in right as your older brother."

I sighed and rolled my eyes. "Don't play that card Matt, we're still not sure."

Matthew stopped at a light and turned to me.

"So you're saying you're not even together?"

I felt like a twelve year old again being scolded for doing something bad as I turned back to the window to hide my tearing eyes.

Somehow Will must've known, coming to my defense.

"It's not Lilly's fault, it's mine." He answered softly, his voice growing as he added. "But we're going to fix this."

In the rearview mirror I gave Will a small but meaningful smile, which he replied with a nod, not letting go of my gaze.

~x~

The ride home was uncomfortably quiet as Matt finally stopped in front of the house.

As he turned off the ignition he turned to me and glanced at Will.

"Mom and Dad won't approve of you not being together, I'll say that now. So unless you want to make this visit a scene out of Jerry Springer, I'd suggest you at least play the part of the happy couple."

I looked over at Will who gave me a hesitant glance, but said nothing.

Shrugging, I broke the air. "I don't want to screw this up with them again and not see them for another four years. I guess I could do that..."

Will merely shrugged when I turned to him, something I took as a yes as we all got out of the car.

I tried to put Will out of my mind for a moment or two, just to focus on seeing my family.

Somehow we would pull this off; we had to.

My feet had been pathetically dragged all the way to the door where I found myself with Will and Matt, whose finger was hovering over the doorbell.

Bravely my hand found Will's arm, putting it around my waist.

He looked at me in surprise and somewhat yearning as I explained.

"If were going to do this we need to be convincing. You've still got time to run if you want, or you can keep your arm where it is. It's just an act anyway."

I regretted letting the last sentence leave my lips, or seeing the spark of hurt in Will's eyes, but as Matt rang the doorbell and the sound of feet on the inside padded closer, my heart didn't slow down as Will pulled me closer.

The door I had barged through for years, from elementary school to high school, swung open, revealing my mom.

"Oh Matt it's you! Christine is... oh... oh my... " She trailed off, her hand going to her mouth as she saw me.

In a swift movement my mom ran forward, pulling me away from Will and into her arms.

I held her just as tight; relishing the feeling I had having my mother on my side again.

For a few moments we held each other till she pulled away, wiping away at her eyes.

"Oh I'm so glad you're here." She laughed, tearing up and leading me and Matt inside.

I remembered to grab Will's hand as she walked ahead of us, her hand taking my only other free one.

I followed her past all the memories of my childhood, taking in my silhouette cut-outs of me when I was five, my hand turkeys when I was seven, all the way through from my bad haircuts to high school trends.

My face heated up as I realized Will could see every band recital and gap toothed grin of my life under this roof.

Turning around, I already had an explanation for it all to feed him, but instead I found him looking intently through each picture.

"This is you?" Will asked, pointing at the picture of me and my old dog Oreo playing in the backyard.

I looked closer, seeing me sopping wet, clinging to my also wet mutt.

A blush crept up my cheeks as I nodded nervously.

Will smiled softly, turning to me, then looking behind me. "I think we got separated from the group."

With something of an oh shit reaction I grabbed Will's hand again and pulled him with me toward the living room, the only other room my mom and brother could have gone to.

By the time we reached the doorway everyone was sitting down, and with us standing where we were (and Will's towering height) everyone's gaze was drawn toward us.

Then to our hands linking us.

Matthew was of course well aware of the situation, and was enjoying seeing everyone else's reactions.

The once ecstatic look on my moms face melted away, the more speedy variation of that on my dad's face.

My brother Jake looked beyond shocked; maybe it was seeing me unexpectedly after so long.

And of course my baby sister, looked back at the TV with an apparent scowl on her face.

"Home sweet home." I muttered under my breath to Will.

He said nothing, merely letting go of my hand to put his arm around my shoulder.

"Just remember, we're doing it for the baby."

As his thumb rubbed comforting circles into my shoulder blade I took a deep breath and prepared to take the plunge.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh alright now I feel mean.
But this one seriously is the last update of the day/night.
I hope you like where this is going, I've had this written for many months and I'm still a little weird about it.
And I could never stand by and let laptop murder take place (I have one of my own).