So Kiss Me Goodbye

Chapter 58

Beep.

Beep.

Beep.

Oh how beeps annoy me...

My eyes were still closed but it wouldn't take an idiot to figure out I was in a hospital, not with the smell and the feel of a needle in my wrist.

"I'm not dead am I?" I asked to no one with my eyes still closed.

A chair nearby creaked and clattered in surprise. "You're awake!"

"No I'm sleep talking." I muttered, opening my eyes and turning toward Brendon.

He grinned and ran forward, throwing his arms around me in an odd hug.

"So, how did I end up in here?" I asked his shirt.

Brendon coughed awkwardly and pulled away.

"You, uh, collapsed at the party." He explained.

The party.

Before I could dwell on it the word collapsed sunk into my mind and my hands quickly flew to my stomach.

"Did they tell you if the baby's all right?" I asked him in a panic.

Brendon leaned forward and put his hand over mine.

"The baby is fine, the baby is perfect Lilly, you on the other hand not so much." He said softly, brushing a piece of hair away from my eyes.

"What else did the doctor tell you?" I asked quietly, folding my legs up.

Brendon didn't have a chance to reply as someone else beat him to it.

"You fainted because of an acute case of dehydration." The doctor said, walking in. "When your pregnant you really need to drink a lot more fluids."

I nodded like a kid with a cavity at the dentist.

"I forgot, it was just a really hurried morning. I definitely learned my lesson though, I don't want to end up back in here with this thing in my arm."

The doctor chuckled at my statement.

"Well now that you're awake it won't be for much longer. We'll probably need you to stay here for about another few hours, just to make sure you and the baby are going to be fine. Just relax for a while okay? And don't do anything that might raise your blood pressure."

I nodded at his advice and as he left settled my head back into the pillow.

A nice hour of peace sounded nice, maybe I'd just sleep or channel surf or-

Not a moment after the doctor left the door came slamming back open, the tall figure of Will in its doorway.

"Are you okay? What about the baby? Are you both okay? What did he say?" Will rushed, barely taking a breath.

"What the hell is he doing here?" I breathed in shock, pointing at Will with my question directed to Brendon.

"He refused to leave till you woke up and he talked to you."

Will looked at me pleadingly. "Please Lilly, we need to talk."

Before I could reply Brendon slunk out of his chair.

"Well I'm gonna go get some food and let you to talk a bit." He said slowly before bolting for the door.

Yeah he knew I was going to roast him alive.

Will nervously took the vacated seat.

"So what's the diagnosis?" He asked.

"Dehydration. The baby's fine, you can go back to making out with that whore now." I muttered.

I swear I had no idea where that last bit came from.

Maybe it was the hormones or hospital agitation.

The worst part was the guilt I felt when I saw Will's hurt face.

"I knew you'd bring her up." He muttered, ruffling his hair.

"Then why did you come in here?" I shot back, resting my folded hands on my bulging stomach.

"Because you've been avoiding me for months now and whether you like it or not that's my child too."

I sighed tiredly, not wanting to do this but with the IV in my arm having nowhere to go.

"Alright then, what do you want to know? The baby's fine, it's healthy, I don't know the sex, and I'm in my second trimester. Does this mean I've got five more months of moments like these with you?"

Will was a little floored by my abruptness and struggled a moment to regain his composure.

"Well that's great to hear, but uh, I'm more worried about how you've been." Will said, catching me off guard. "How's work? Is everything okay financially? Because you know I'd gladly pay for anything like doctor visits."

I scoffed. "Shut up Will, I don't want your money. I'm doing fine without you, I mean I've got my sister, and Shelby and Ryan, and Travis, and Brendon, and a lot of other people, it's not like I can't survive without you."

Will rose an eyebrow. "If that's so why are you acting like you have to prove it to me?"

That caught me way off guard, leaving my reply shaky and uncertain.

"I don't have to prove it to anyone, least of all you." I shot back indignantly.

He eyed me with the same look he'd give me after we'd gone out or made out.

"Don't look at me like that, before today at the party I was doing just fine. It's not like I'd enjoy seeing you with a new fling."

Will was torn between pointing an accusing finger at me and frowning at my words.

"Lilly you're the one that ended this, stop acting like all of this is my fault." Will said softly, reaching forward.

"I was trying to do what I thought was best for my baby, and an unstable relationship with its father isn't what I wanted. But I didn't expect this to happen instead..." I murmured, rolling over on the bed with my back to Will.

"Lil you can't just say that and expect to get away with it. You're just trying to get the last word." Will continued, his voice getting an edge.

I turned back over glaring at him. "I'm not trying something juvenile like that, I'm just sick of this conversation. All it is is antagonism on my part."

"And you think it's just sunshine and daisies for me?" Will asked bitterly.

I was ready to start yelling at him when the door opened.

"Hey Lilly I brought you some food so you don't have to eat that toxic hospital..." Brendon trailed off, seeing me and Will glaring at each other.

"Am I interrupting something?" He asked, setting the bag of Burger King down on the floor.

"No Will was just leaving." I replied without emotion.

Will, however, wasn't giving in that easily.

"You are Bren, me and Lilly aren't through with this conversation." He said, not breaking his gaze with me.

"Brendon sit down." I told him pointing at the spot Will had recently vacated in order to make a point.

Brendon looked between the both of us, trying to figure out the lesser of two evils.

He finally decided he'd rather make the hormonal pregnant woman in the hospital bed happy as opposed to the second best father to be whose head was already on the chopping block.

I grinned inwardly in triumph as he sat down, beginning to pull out food.

"Lilly this doesn't mean our conversation is over." Will warned not budging.

I growled to myself and glared at him.

"You can try all you want Will, doctor's orders are for me to stay stress free and sadly you are stress in rockstar form. And if I don't want this conversation then goddamnit I'm not." I said stubbornly, crossing my arms.

Will did the same, trying to show he wasn't going anywhere.

This meant war.

"Brendon hand me a burger."

"But I don't want..." He trailed off as I held my hand out. "Oh fine take it."

Without warning I threw the wrapped warm object squarely at Will's jaw.

He may have been the baseball star in his day but that didn't mean he was any less of a target.

"Hey!" He exclaimed, grabbing it a moment to aim at me when realization hit him that a pregnant woman in a hospital bed wasn't a good target.

He still didn't move however as I held my hand out to Brendon.

"But I don't have anymore burgers." He defended, clutching the bag closer.

I sighed in the form of a growl and reached for the nearest things I could find, my chart, the remote, a box of tissues, they were all hurled at Will who finally got the hint and ran out of the room.

As I stopped the barrage Brendon looked up from under the protection of his arms.

"Remind me never to piss you off."
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm actually... out of things to say here...
Uh... I survived a night with my in laws from hell but other than that... nothing.
Thanks for the shitload of comments from everyone, the suspicions actually gave me good material to work with so thanks for all the feedback, ir really helps.
I'm gonna try to reply to more of them if I can.