‹ Prequel: Outliers
Sequel: Oracles
Status: read this story on wattpad!!

Obliques

t·e n s·a n c t i o n

Light forces my eyelids to open up. I let out a lifeless breath out my lungs. I look around, figuring out where I am. How am I still alive? I roll to my side. Flashes of horror appear in the back of my mind. I remember how everything that's happened is my fault. Suddenly, I feel ten times heavier. I crawl out of the bed. I'm back in Kier's loft. I hear voices outside. The bright sunlight hurts my eyes. I shade my face with a hand. The people of Badok go about their day, though some of them have on bandages. My instinct is to run off someplace. Maybe I can pack myself a bag and disappear... No Sage, you can't keep running away. When will you learn that?

I slip on one of Kier's oversized sweatshirts and a pair of boots. I jog my way up the metal stairs leading to the grand building. I search for Werner's old office. The door is slightly open already. I peek my head through. I see Kier, the person I least want to see. I watch him discuss important matters with his men. It's not a good time. Maybe a good time will never come, since he hates me. Why did I even look for him? What was I going to say? I sigh, retracting away.

But then his eyes glance up, meeting mine. His stare holds me for a while, until the others notice me standing by the door. I scowl, trying to hide behind the doorpost, as Kier mumbles something to the others. I watch them leave. Tilt stops in front of me.

"Are you alright?" he asks in a soothing tone.

I try to smile a bit and nod my head.

"Good," he says and jokes, "Try not to get killed in there."

He walks off, leaving me to worry. I take a cautious step inside the office. I watch Kier lean against the desk, folding his arms across his chest.

"You didn't have to stop what you were doing for me-"

He cuts me off, "Just get in here."

I swallow the stone in my throat. I inch closer, but keep a goof distance between him and I. My lips stay silent. His green stare lifts to me again. I feel my heart pounding in my chest, trying to get out. I clutch onto myself. I need all the support I can get to not crumble under his stare.

Maybe it's been an hour we stand here, I don't know. But I can't take it anymore. I have to let out the breath I'm holding in.

"What?" I ask in a hush.

"You've been out for days. How are you feeling?" he asks, softly.

His voice is too calm, I'm not used to it. It's foreign and I give him an estranged look.

"Fine," I respond.

He finally looks away and I can relax my tense muscles.

"I want to apologies," he starts. I bend my toes in my boots. Kier stands up straight and takes a few steps my way. "Those things I said... back there, I didn't mean them."

I slowly nod, "Oh..."

"Truthfully, I wasn't angry with you. I was angry with myself."

I look at the ground and keep nodding. Silence blankets us for a moment.

Kier clears his throat.

"Listen," he says.

I watch him roll up his sleeve.

"This morning, I was sitting here, thinking about my father's words. And..." he pauses, thinking. He comes closer and continues. "I figured it out."

I can't understand what he's saying to me. All I'm worried about is the distance he's closing between us with every step.

He looks to the side, "On the battlefield, before my father died... he told me to find you. He said it was my last chance to find you."

He grabs my arm away from my body, rips my leather wristlet off in one swift move. He then takes off his band.

This can't be.