‹ Prequel: Outliers
Sequel: Oracles
Status: read this story on wattpad!!

Obliques

e·l e v e n d·i v u l g e n c e

The strip of pale untouched skin that my wristlet's been protecting... has the same embossed emblem...

As Kier.

I pull my arm back, hiding it behind me. I shake my head. My eyes refuse to believe their sights. Anger stirs up inside me.

"Why would you show me this? How d-No!"

I wasn't supposed to find out who my match was. I wasn't supposed to know. I swore I'd die without knowing. But now I do know... No, Sage, just forget about this. This is just a coincidence. This means nothing.

"Sage," he calls me.

I try to shake his voice away, "No. I can't. Let's just forget this happened."

I spin out the door, but Kier grabs onto me.

"You know this changes things," he tells.

"No, it doesn't," I deny, trying to pull away from his grip.

"I don't like this any more than you do," he says, tugging me back to him.

I stop acting childish and calm down. My body weakens quickly.

"The idiot loved to see me suffer. That's why he never told me earlier," Kier sighs, referring to his father. He lets me go and wipes his brow. "I always ignored it, but I'm aware how dangerous this thing can get."

I give him a questioned look, "Suffer?"

"Yeah. The match pains," he says, looking at me.

"Match pains?" I murmur.

I tuck my messy hair behind my ears, trying to make sense of what he's telling me.

"I'll explain later-"

"What day is it?" I ask, cutting him off.

He pauses, "44th day of the solstice."

Today's my birthday. I curse under my breath. I squeeze my eyes shut. Today' my birthday and my match found me. The chance is too eerie to overlook. But I can't call it fate...

"Can we... not be together?" I spell out, not able to look into his eyes.

"Sure," Kier answers, folding is arms.

My eyes focus on my broken wristlet lying on the ground. I still can't believe...

Suddenly, the ground shakes tremendously, making things to fall down. I fall on all fours. I hear booming clamours and the cement walls begin to crack. Kier quickly grasps me and pulls us beneath the office table. Within a few minutes, the clamours end, leaving an unsettling silence outside.

"An earthquake?" I ask in a whisper.

I watch Kier get up and look out the broken window. He seems to doubt my suggestion. He helps me up to my feet. My body's not cooperating. I look at the thrashed office. It's like a tornado came through. I can only image what outside looks like. I reluctantly hold on to Kier's hand, as we carefully walk through the rubble. Going down the metal stairs is no smooth ride, as half of the stairs has collapsed. Some homes and buildings are completely grounded from the quake. People gather round following Kier. He's the leader now, I guess. He wastes no time demanding if anyone is injured. He ordered his men to go by the coast and find out what caused the quake. I watch the men run off.

"Everybody, pack necessities. We have to move out of here now. Whatever hit, will hit again."

The people of Badok, young and old, worry and wail. Kier tells the workers to gather water supply. I begin to panic.

"Move where?" I ask, walking to his side.

"My gut tells me Polaris took a wild guess where we are and tried to bomb us. They missed by a fraction. We have to move far away from the coast."

I shift my gaze to the mountainous area. I decide to make myself useful and help the women and children sew tents.

Within a few hours, everyone is ready to go. The strong men carry rolled up tents and heavy weaponry. The workers wheel barrels of food and water. I feel my stomach wrenches, seeing how people have to sacrifice their homes and lives like this. A thousand of us Outliers have to fight for our lives. A thousand people are looking up to Kier, placing all their hopes in his hands. I can' imagin how he must feel right now.

We gauge towards the misty mountains.

"Hey," a girl walks by me.

"Hi," I say, fixing my sac over my frail shoulders.

"I'm Ame," she says.

"Sage," I say.

Tilt joins us, wrapping his arm around Ame.

"I hope this voyage comes with a cruise," Tilt jokes.

I frown at the two, wondering how they can possibly be in such high spirits after being torn from their homes.

Ame looks back at me, "If you need anything, Sage, you let us know."

I try to smile at her kindness, "Alright."

"Yeah, if you need sunscreen, I'm willing to share," Tilt jokes some more, making Ame and I laugh.

"How can you make jokes at a time like this?" I ask.

He shrugs, "There's nothing else to do."

"Shouldn't you be up front with Kier?" Ame asks.

I frown, "No."

I look ahead and watch him lead. Next to him is Hera. She's more of a leader type, anyway. I'll leave at that.

Ame tells me, "Yeah, but aren't you supposed to lead too?"

I shake my head, starting to feel the strain in my knees.

"I'm not a leader," I say to her.

"Maybe not a leader, but somewhat of a helper."

"He's got enough company up front, anyway."

Tilt grins, "You take life too seriously, Sage. Loosen up a little."

My lips tug into a thin line, "You're second in command. Why don't you walk with Kier?"

Tilt coughs dramatically.

"Kier doesn't appreciate my humour," he points.

Ame rolls her eyes, "No one appreciates you're humour."

"Hey!" Tilt pitches.

The hike gets steeper.