‹ Prequel: Outliers
Sequel: Oracles
Status: read this story on wattpad!!

Obliques

t·w o r·e j e c t i o n

I sit alone in the office now with Werner. His ancient scars crawl on his face. His head is shaved, though grey starts to stubble his scalp. His missing leg ties him into his wheelchair. He explains my unknown past to me.

“I knew your father,” Werner starts. I listen to him carefully. Somehow I trust his gaze. “Sergeant Lew Melody. He was a strong man. He was my best friend. We fought in the Black War together. During a shootout, I stepped on a mine and it detonated. I was considered a man down. And while the other soldiers were trying to retreat to the ship, Lew came back to get me. He went against orders just to save me…”

Werner taps his fingers over his lap, feeling as though the events of war happened yesterday. His chapped lip quivers.

“I didn’t have anything to come home to. My wife had run away with my only son… I was prepared to die,” a faint grin comes over him, “But he wouldn’t let me. He did everything to make sure I’d live.”

He shifts over to an old book and opens it. He slips out a thin photograph, handing it to me. I carefully take it in my hands and scan it with my eyes. I tuck some hair behind my ear, trying to take it all in. A small square sepia picture of Sergeant Lew Melody, my father... I’ve never met him and I’ve never known him. But I feel like this is a small treasure saved for me.

“Although we were badly injured, we made it home. Your mother had you just a few days after the war. Lew was able to see you come to this world. Unfortunately, your mother died giving birth. We didn’t have to resources to save her. Everything was destroyed,” Werner nods slowly, “We had to slowly move further away before the Cygnus got a hold of us. We found this region and slowly rebuild again. Even though Lew was severely ill, he managed to get his long awaited invention to function, which is what’s keeping us safe up to this day.”

I look up to Werner, “What’s that?”

“A force field,” he answers. “It envelops the whole of Badok and makes it impossible to find. We’re virtually invisible on the maps and satellites. So, no one can target us.”

“So…” I inch my voice to my throat, “That means you’re free from the Cygnus.”

He looks down and sighs, “Not quite.”

The taste of freedom drops from my mouth. Is there really no way of escaping the Cygnus?

“We’re still accounted for by the Cygnus. Their technology is more advanced. We had to send missions to Polaris. Some men never returned. I can only assumed that they were executed. The Cygnus is aware of us. They just can’t see us. They can attack at any moment, so we had to be prepared. I promised your father that you’d be safe before he died. My only option was to send you to the Hitherlands among the Outliers.”

“So, I’m not an Outlier?” I ask, shocked.

“Not entirely,” Werner shakes his head. “Your mother was a Perfect.”

I frown and stand to my feet, opposing what I’m hearing.

“Wait, I don’t understand. How is that possible?”

“You’re what we would consider an Oblique. A few decades ago, there grew an error in the system. Some rebel Perfects were having families without Parturition. Generations passed and the children were Perfect, anyway. I guess the Cygnus let it slide under the radar. But there were recent cases where Perfects were conceiving imperfects, like you and like my son and so many others here. The Cygnus tried fixing that situation quickly by executing their own people. That caused riots and disorder. We managed to flee that fate before the war. The Cygnus tightened their control of the population. But they know there are still survivors. They want our heads.”

My figure drops and I say breathlessly, “Wow.”

“Before I sent you off to the Hitherlands, I had to have your memory tampered.”

“Tampered?”

“Yes,” he nods, “I had to hide any memories of this place, which would return if ever you took off your wrist band. I used it as a mind conditioner.”

I stay still as he observes my wristlet.

He asks, “Did you take off your wrist band?”

“No,” I lie, shaking my head.

“That’s strange,” he comments.

“I’m telling you, I came here by chance.”

I don’t want to reveal that I’ve been to Polaris and I’ve lived with the Prince. In fact, I want to forget all about it myself. I want a brand new life, and if I can find it here with trustworthy people, I’ll be safe.

He smiles, “Nothing is by chance.”

Suddenly, gatherings of tall men walk in.

“There’s a problem in the street,” a young man interrupts. “Barrels are missing from a farmer and no one is speaking up.”

The corner of my eye stares at the young man speaking. His topaz skin contrasts from his black hooded garment. Caped around his back is a large firearm. His muscular limbs expose his tattoos. He looks as threatening as his voice. My eyes divert elsewhere for good reasons.

“Hm,” Werner thinks aloud, “Whatever it is this time, I’m sure can be resolved.”

“We should collect the barrels and share them out evenly, so there wouldn’t be any stealing,” the man argues, placing his firearm on the table rigidly.

The bang makes me jump in my chair al little.

Werner snorts, “That’s socialism.”

The young man seems ticked off, the way his lips press together.

“It’s not that radical. Needs turns into theft and theft turns into murder and murder collapses order. If you don’t fix this petty problem today, it’ll only grow tomorrow.”

“So then who’s in the wrong? The one who steals or the one who doesn’t share?” Werner asks, as though he’s playing a guessing game with the impatient man.

The young man crosses his arms, not amused. His eyes are stern, but I’m sure he’s searching for an answer.

“The one who doesn’t help the two see eye to eye,” I say, alluding to the human race, “Is the real fool. We’re too quick to punish others for their shortcomings. That’s why we’ll never be able to get along.”

Werner and the man both eye me. Sure, I don’t really belong here and have no say in their principles, but I was getting tired of their quarrelling.

“Who’s she?” the man nearly growls.

I frown over his irritating temper.

“This is Sage. A noble girl who takes after her noble father. She’ll lead us to victory,” Werner says confidently.

“What?!” the man and I scream.

“Have you lost your mind?” the man shouts.

“W-what are you talking about?” I stand up.

Werner silences the both of us with a raised hand. He closes his eyes and takes in deep breaths.

“Really, father?” the man says, “You’re going to hand over Badok to some flimsy girl?”

“Hey,” I shoot at him.

He only rolls his eyes, like I’m inferior. He approaches Werner and finally uses his indoor voice.

“You said I would lead Badok in battle when the time comes.”

“You shall. Together,” Werner says.

The boy groans, slamming his hand on his forehead.

“There is no such thing as two leaders—Where did she come from anyway?”

“Quiet!” Werner orders the man. They glare at each other. Werner shifts his wheelchair towards the entrance. “Although you’ve mastered the art of stubbornness… you’re responsible for Sage’s well-being. Do I make myself clear, soldier?”

I watch the boy shake with rage. But he spits a mocking laugh.

“And the best armies always have two leaders,” Werner ends and disappears through the door with his men.

The young man’s eyes stabs me shamelessly. It’s as though my whole body’s on fire. He darts out the door as well, and I hesitantly follow.

“Listen,” I tell him, “I only got here by chance. I have no intention of doing anything here.”

He walks too fast that I’m practically jogging next to him.

“Then you should go back to where you came from,” he says, coldly.

“I-I can’t.”

He walks through the road, where it’s full of people in drabs of dark denims and dyed cottons. I try my best to keep up.

“What’s your name?” I ask, desperate for air.

“I don’t give my name to enemies,” he replies.

I frown, “I’m not your enemy.”

“If I don’t know you, you’re my enemy,” he says right away.

“Well, we have to get to know each other, your father bounded us together. We might as well—”

“He’s not my father. He’s my commander,” he says.

Some long twists of raven hair escape his hood. His lime eyes stare straight ahead with animosity. I nearly crack my neck just staring at him. Not looking where I’m stepping, my foot gets caught in a rock and I falter to the pavement. The air pop out my lungs and I try to get back on my feet.

Suddenly, I hear, “Are you alright?”

The young man is already leaning down towards me. I’m more shocked at his quick reaction than my fall. Just a second ago, he seemed like he wouldn’t care if I fell off a cliff. He stretches out his hand to help me up. Afraid of what would happen if I refused it, I take it. He firmly pulls me up and keeps walking. My confusion gets deeper the farther he gets.

I feel a broad hand land on my shoulder.

“So, I’m guessing you’re here to stay?” the lanky man who brought me to Werner’s is beside me.

He fashions a flashy smile.

“I’m Tilt,” he tells me.

“Sage,” I introduce myself.

He points towards the long gone young leader, “He’s always like that.”

I nod, still unsure of everything.

“I bet you’re hungry. Come, let’s eat.”

Seeing that Tilt is friendly, I agree to his offer.