‹ Prequel: Outliers
Sequel: Oracles
Status: read this story on wattpad!!

Obliques

s·e v e n s·a n c t u a r y

My chest hurts. My head hurts. Everything is painful for me. I've isolated myself outside the crescent. I sit alone by the beachfront. It's not easy to go anywhere. I don't belong here. I don't belong anywhere. I begin to think of Prance. I wonder if he feels as alone as I do. I wonder what my life would be like if I had walked down that aisle. I can't seem to forget him. I know for certain that I don't regret running off. I promised myself that no matter what I'll be free to choose... My thoughts are interrupted by the crashing of the waves. I'll choose who to be and who to love. If I fight hard enough, then maybe that day will come. It's just that... I don't want to fight this battle. I feel myself breaking down and tearing apart. My eyelids fall, squeezing the tears out. I take a deep breath. It starts again. Breathing becomes more and more difficult at each second. The burning sensation heightens in my chest and down below my stomach.

"Ugh," I groan, pounding on my chest.

My throat tightens and my shoulder throbs. I lift my body to my feet and walk back to the village.

There aren't any stars in the sky tonight. I walk inside the Kier's place. Immediately I see him. I also see Hera. She's bandaging up his arm.

"What happened?" I ask, softly.

The two look up and notice me walk in the room. Hera simply glares my way, but it's Kier's that gets my attention.

He looks away and says, "Just a training accident. Bumped my shoulder."

"Dislocated your shoulder," Hera cuts him short, as if correcting his pride.

I stay still by the door. Hera wraps his arm tightly in the ivory cloth. She's not doing it right, but I refuse to say anything. Just when I decide to go elsewhere, Hera addresses me.

"Why are you here?"

I blink, "I-I was just going to bed."

Her frown amplifies and she gives a glance to Kier.

"You sleep... here?" she eyes me viciously.

I know, from the start, that she doesn't like me.

"Uh," I stammer, walking backwards. "I'm going to go."

I turn the corner and can still hear her threatening voice.

"You let her sleep here?" I hear her hiss at Kier.

"It's nothing. Drop it," he tells her.

I sigh, rubbing the bridge of my nose.

I feel something poke me. My eyes flutter open and my mouth yawns.

"Morning sunshine," I hear Tilt laughing. "I'm guessing you love training so much that you had to sleep in the gym."

I give him a weird look. There's a girl next to him.

"Am I right?" he laughs more.

I find myself yawning again.

"You're right," I answer, groggily.

"I hope you woke up on the right side of the mat, because we have a drill."

I frown, "A drill? What's that?"

His funny look never goes away.

"You'll see.

Out by the courtyard, everybody is dressing up in armour gear and loading weapons. The sight frightens me. Helmets and chest pads. I'm given my gear and forced to follow. Once the soldiers are lined up, I watch Werner appear surrounded by his men. My eyes search left and right. Werner's voice comes into the clearing.

"Unfortunately," he shouts across the rows of soldiers, "This is not a drill!"

Hushes and silent questions wash over the atmosphere. My eyes find Kier, near the front of the line up, next to Hera. I quickly shift my eyes back to Werner and his men.

"The time has come. The time we've been waiting for. I believe we're ready. We go into combat tonight! We shall win by morning!"

While my gut dives, the crowd of strong soldiers raise up the weapons and cheer. I'm shaking all over. The thought of war makes me want to rip myself in two. A real war. Right now. I can't.

"Sage!"

I freeze over.

Werner calls me again, "Sage!"

He motions his hands for me to come to the front. The crowd divides, leaving a clear path for me to walk up. I hold my breath. I take slow steps, steady steps, so that I don't fall down in hell. Every pair of eyes is staring at me. Suddenly, an arm yanks me to walk faster. I look up and see Kier dragging me. We reach Werner's side.

"We are here to fight for our freedom!" Werner continues his encouraging war speech. I can barely stand up straight. Kier is poise as can be next to me. "We shall end the Cygnus, once and for all. Sage and Kier will lead us into victory-into a Polaris where men, women, and children are free to live in peace and harmony, no matter what runs in their blood. Who's ready to fight?! Forward!"

Suddenly, we're all marching towards the sandy beach. The beach that was empty last night is now filled with submarines and marine tanks and battleships. As we mount the boat, I grab onto Kier's arm.

"I can't do this," I plead to him, shaking my head.

He looks down at me. He fixes and fastens my helmet. I'm panicking like a fool. He pauses for a moment. All I can do is stare into his deep green eyes. Our surroundings seem to slow down. I'm suddenly transfixed. His eyes are staring back at me. I feel an emotion I can't explain. It comes like a flash. The feeling sooths me like warm waters. I watch Kier open his mouth to say something. My whole being waits for his words. But it all stops when we hear a call. It's as though I've been ripped like a paper.

"Werner wants you in the cabin!" a soldier barks towards us.

My panic returns to me and I hear my surroundings clear and loud again. I follow behind Kier down the steps under the floor.

We find Kier's father sitting there.

"I'll keep this simple. You two only have one mission," Werner clasps his firm hands together. He looks at both of us. He leaves a long pause in the air. "Kill the King."