The Leather Jacket

Bail Me Out

It was evening by the time the news Alex had been holding on all day finally wore him down. Him and Jack were watching crappy tv, just relaxing after the day they’d had when Alex couldn’t hide it anymore.
“Jack, I need to tell you something”
“What’s wrong?” Jack asked, turning to face him. His eyes reflecting the tv as the only source of light in the room.
“The phone call I get at the cemetery it was Matt, you know my manager?”
Jack nodded, remembering the dark haired man with the lip ring.
“Well it seems they’ve moved the tour forward...”
“When?”
“I have to be in London by Friday”
“That’s in three days!”
“I know... I’m sorry Jack, I feel bad about dropping this on you so suddenly”
“How long?” he asked.
“About 2 months”
“2... months?”
“Yeah... I know it sounds like a long time but I’ll be back before you know it” Alex said, it went to hug Jack but he moved away.
“But I need you”
Alex was afraid Jack would say that, he knew Jack needed him especially after everything that had happened but he couldn’t stay.
“I’m sor...”
Alex didn’t get to finish as Jack pushed himself up from the couch and made his way to the bedroom. Alex sighed and collapsed back against the couch, he wanted to make everything okay for Jack, he deserved that but Alex just couldn’t give it to him...

Alex spent the night on the couch, he didn’t think Jack wanted him nearby so he stayed away. When he woke his apartment was empty, Jack was gone, he’d left without so much as a note. Alex wanted to go after him, to run down the streets screaming his name just so he could explain. To try and make everything better because how was he suppose to leave without being able to say goodbye?
He picked up his phone only to find about fifteen missed calls from Matt, as much as he wanted to talk to Jack work came first...
“You’re late and you look terrible” Matt said.
Alex had just arrived outside some Radio Station that Matt had set up some interview. He wasn’t surprised he looked awful, he’d barely slept and hadn’t bothered with his hair expect shoving on an old beanie.
“Didn’t sleep well”
“I can see that, I’ll get you something to help you sleep on the plane but for now I need you to use that big mouth of yours”
“Yeah, yeah I know the drill”
“Oh and try and smile”
Alex flipped him off and stepped inside. He’d done these things a thousand times, he knew how they worked and he found himself slipping into the routine quite easily. A smile on his face and light hearted joke kept him going as he answered question after question. Matt had made it clear and the accident and Jack were no go areas which Alex was thankful for, he wasn’t sure he could face that kind of integration just yet. Expect by the time he got to the last interview of the day they didn’t seem to have got the message...
“So Alex, how are you? You know that accident had us quite scared” asked the interviewer, a girl with long blonde hair and a bubblegum smile.
“I’m alright, it was only a few cracked rips. I was lucky really” Alex answered, thinking if he just answered that would be the end.
She went on to ask questions about the single and tour which Alex answered, all about what direction his music was going in and what he liked best about being on tour.
“Will Jack be coming with you?”
The question threw him, it wasn’t a name he was expecting to hear. He didn’t want to answer, if he said yes she’d go on about how cute they were and if he said no she’d only ask why.
“Hmm...”
“I think that’s all for today, Alex has places to be you see” Matt swooped in, getting Alex out of there before anyone could say anything. Matt took him outside and almost man handled him into the waiting car. He gave the address of Alex’s apartment before turning to him.
“You need you sort yourself out, I can’t keep rescuing you every time someone asks and they’re going to ask. You’ve got to figure out a way to answer because I can’t keep doing it for you”
Alex didn’t reply, he knew Matt was right but it all meant talking to Jack. When they pulled up outside Alex’s apartment he got out and Matt rolled down the window to say something.
“Get some sleep, you obviously need it and I’ll see you tomorrow”
Alex nodded and then watched as the car drove away. He looked up at his building, the sun was going down and his stomach grumbled for food but he ignored both and started walking down the street, in the direction of Jack’s place.

Alex had only visited Jack’s house once, it was why they’d been planning the funeral and they had to go and collect a few things. It took Alex over an hour to walk there as he hadn’t bothered with his car, it was only a small house and not in the good part of town. Alex walked up the front door after seeing Jack’s car parked down the street he figured he was in. He knocked at the door but nothing happened.
“Jack!” Alex tried yelling, calling out his name as he knocked at the door.
“Jack let me in! I’m sorry okay? Please just let me talk to you about this!” he yelled.
People on the street stopped to look at the crazy man banging on the door but Alex didn’t stop.
“Come on Jack, please”
He put his ear to the door but it was silent, no sound of movement and even with the darkening sky there were no lights on inside. Alex kicked the door in defend, Jack was either very good at hiding or he just wasn’t in. So Alex gave up and began to the long walk home, Matt was right he needed sleep and if Jack wasn’t going to talk to him what else did he have to do?
Alex walked back along the main road, past the closed shops and restaurants brisling with people. His stomach grumbled again but he ignored it, thinking he’d order take away once he got in. He didn’t feel like staying out in public for too long, he never knew who was looking. Tugging his beanie further down he continued down the street. He passed a few bars with people already drunk, the thought of getting drunk did appeal him but patting his pockets he’d left his wallet at home. Kicking a can down the road he stopped to see a person passed out on a bench. Alex sighed, he liked to get drunk but maybe not that drunk, he was about to carry on walking but something made him stop. He looked back at the person lying across the bench that was no random homeless person...
“Shit Jack...”
Alex knelt down in front of him, moving his hair away from eyes so he could get a better look at him. The streetlight above them flickered into life and bathed them both in orange light. Jack stunk of alcohol but he looked unharmed. He’d obviously made it out of the bar but not got very far.
“Jack, wake up” Alex shook his shoulder until he opened his eyes. Alex moved just in time before Jack was sick over both of them.
“Gross...”
“Alex?” Jack’s words were slowly and slightly slurred.
“Yeah it’s me”
“Go ‘way I’m mad at you...” he said, swaying slightly.
“Yeah I know but right now you need me”
Alex stood up and pulled Jack to his feet, he straight away fell onto Alex’s shoulder, unable to support himself. Alex wrapped his arm around Jack’s waist and began to walk them both back in the direction of Jack’s house. As it was closer than his own.
“You got drunk huh?”
“Didn’t know what else to do” Jack mumbled.
“How about talk to me? You never gave me a chance to talk about this”
“Don’t want you to leave” Jack said, pressing his face into Alex’s shoulder.
Alex held Jack a little bit tighter and kept on walking.
“I have to Jack, you know that but maybe this’ll be the last time...”
Jack didn’t answer he was too busy trying to keep himself upright, his head was all fuzzy and his vision kept going in and out of focus. When they reached his front door Alex put him down on the wall by the front door.
“Key?” he asked.
Jack patted his pockets but only found his phone and very empty feeling wallet.
“Lost it”
“Spare?”
“Under the ma....”
Alex had to guess he meant matt as he threw up over the other side of the wall. Alex found the key under the matt on the front step. He picked Jack up, slipping his arms under the boy’s body and lifting him up bridle style. He carried Jack to his bedroom and putting him down on the bed. Alex thought about leaving him, he was safe and wouldn’t get himself into anymore trouble. But as he looked at him passed out from too much alcohol and his own sick down his front Alex knew he couldn’t leave him like that. Carefully he stripped Jack of his soaked shirt and tight skinny jeans leaving him in just his boxers. He pulled the duvet over him so he wouldn’t get cold and placed a glass of water on the table beside him.
Alex collapsed onto Jack’s couch, his apartment was so far away and he was just so tired. He didn’t know how Jack would feel when he found him there in the morning but he didn’t care. He had a lot to think about but right now he just wanted sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took so long for me to update again! Though I do have a surprise for you :) xxx