The Leather Jacket

Coffee For Closers

As Alex made his way back to his apartment Jack was still hazy in his thoughts, it had been a long day and filming that morning seemed like years ago. Alex barely made it to his bed before he passed out with a smile plastered on his face. It had been 3 years since Alex had met Jack on the winter streets of Baltimore and ever since Alex had never quite been able to get the boy out of his head... It wasn’t that Alex was obsessed with Jack, he barely even knew him it was just he’d never felt that safe and comfortable with anyone before or since.
When Alex woke the sun was streaming through the window, he’d been so tired he’d forgotten to close the blind the night before. He rolled over and stared at the ceiling, he was back in his old home the place he’d spent so long trying to get away from. Baltimore reminded Alex of the many cold nights on the streets, of the real pain of hunger and the people who turned their backs on him, but at the same time it was where Jack was and Alex was damn if he was going to find him.
Having gotten showered and dressed Alex slung his acoustic over his shoulder and strolled out of his apartment. One thing about this city was it had the world’s best music shop, the only place Alex had ever let anyone else touch his precious guitar, the one that had gotten through his nights alone and fed him when he couldn’t himself. He put on his sunglasses and his hat, it wasn’t that Alex didn’t like being recognised in fact he loved it, it was a constant reminder of how far he’d come but he was on a mission and he wanted to do it as Alex not Alex Gaskarth famous singer. He walked through the streets, glad of being able to pass through unnoticed with only his guitar on his back. The only problem with Alex’s plan of finding Jack was that he didn’t actually know him, not really. He didn’t even have a last name, he was just Jack with the warm brown eyes and the funny spiked hair that now seemed to be partly bleached blonde. Alex’s eyes scanned the crowd of people walking through the centre of the city but nothing caught his eye. The only thing Alex really knew was that Jack loved music nearly as much as he did so where was the music is the city?

First Alex hit up some of the old bars, some of the places he’d played in his early days but no one recognised Jack by Alex’s description and just suggested he tried the record shop on third. Having stopped to get a coffee on his way Alex walked to the shop, it hadn’t been there last time or least he’d never seen it. From the moment he stepped inside the crammed shop and there was something comforting in it, the walls completely covered in posters of every band imaginable, records and cds staked in every corner and lining every bit of spare shape the small shop had.
“Hey, can I help you?”
Alex was snapped out of his day dream by the man behind the counter, a tallish man with a buzz cut and the whitest teeth Alex had seen in a while (hey he was famous)
“Oh hmm, I’m looking for someone”
“Might need a bit more than that dude” the man laughed and Alex felt a little easier.
“I’m looking for this guy, Jack, he’s tall, skinny with brown eyes and...”
“Black and blonde hair?” the man asked, Alex was taken aback. He knew Jack.
“Y...You know him?” Alex stuttered.
“Yeah course, he works here”
Alex’s heart was hammering in his chest, Jack worked there did that mean Jack was there?
“Is...Is he here?” Alex asked.
“Danny!” the buzz cut man called and another person appeared from a back room.
“What Rian? I’m kinda busy”
“You’re playing GTA, don’t think I don’t know. I wanted to know, is Jack in today?”
“No, he text saying he had a thing. Probably his mum or somethin’”
“Okay thanks” Rian said and the guy called Danny disappeared back into the side room.
“Sorry man, doesn’t look like he’s coming it today. Can I take your name and he can call you when he comes in?” Rian asked.
Alex’s heart had sunk, he knew it was too good to be true that Jack would be there.
“Nah man it’s okay” Alex sighed, he wanted to see Jack to be able to tell him everything but it seemed like that was destined for another day.
“Thanks anyway”
Alex turned and left the record shop, once outside he lent against the wall and closed his eyes. He’d been so close, Jack worked there. Alex could see him running between the ales of records singing along loudly to the radio. He’d come back every day to the shop if he had to, he would talk to Jack.

With the morning gone and afternoon creeping up on him Alex headed down town to the music shop. Thinking he’ll drown his disappointment his favourite place.
“Alex! Great to see you!”
Joel the owner of Alex’s self confessed best shop in the world was always the happiest person, taller and bigger build than Alex he was covered in tattoos but he was one of the few Alex felt he could be himself with.
“And you” Alex grinned.
“Haven’t seen you in awhile, how’s fame treating you?” Joel asked.
“It’s really good, a new single on the horizon so I need to know my baby is on top form”
“Pass her here”
Alex passed him his guitar before taking a seat on a nearby stool and watching Joel get to work. He would completely take her apart and make sure everything was in top working order, the body its self had seen better days and was a little beaten and with stickers stuck to the side. Joel had offered to make Alex a new one many times but every time Alex had refused, he loved her, marks and all.
“How’s business?” Alex asked, looking around the empty store.
“Hmm not great but we’re getting by”
“Don’t ever go out of business, I’ll start paying in the 1000s if I have to”
“Are you offering?”
They both laughed.
“I hear you’re doing pretty well for yourself, saw a picture of you in the paper the other day. Talking about this famous singer and he’s from little ol’ Baltimore”
“I’m not really though am I?” Alex sighed.
“Well I can’t talk for the papers in Essex being I’ve never been”
Alex smiled and continued to watch Joel work until his baby was sounding as amazing as ever.
“There you go, take good care of her”
“Don’t I always?”
“Don’t you remember the first time you brought her in? Her strings were so old you couldn’t even hear them!”
Alex laughed, he’d been on the streets nearly a month when he had to see Joel, his baby didn’t sing anymore and he needed the money. Joel was one of the few he knew Alex’s past.
“God, don’t remind me” Alex replied.
Alex pulled out some cash for his friend, making sure to leave a sizable tip before he said his goodbyes and promised to be back again soon.

After stopping to get something to eat Alex started to make his way back to his apartment, he wasn’t really paying attention to where he was going until he passed a familiar coffee shop. The place Jack had taken him to on that night, that meant around the corner was the bench Alex had sat earning money for over three months. With his guitar on his back he wondered... He wondered if he could still do it, sure he was famous now. He knew could sing and play a guitar but could he still get passersby to stop and listen?
He sat on the bench, the whole thing feeling way too familiar and took out his guitar. He dropped his hat on the floor, thinking if he gets anything he’ll give it to an actual homeless person. He removed his sunglasses as the sun was going down and began to play.

Alex played for nearly an hour, picking out covers and the odd one of his own. A few people recognised him and stayed to watch, some money had been put in his hat, enough to buy someone a nice hot meal at least. Alex left it till last, the song that had always been his last one in the old days. A song he’d never released a song barely anyone else knew expect maybe one...
“Get me out of this place, before I cause more damage
A small price to pay for building houses out of matchsticks
And when things get too hot, you’ve got me to blame for
Every fire that breaks out in every lover’s name”
Alex sang, remembering every word and chord change like it was yesterday.
“Don’t forget, we’ve got unfinished business
Stories yet to unfold
Tales that must be retold
And I regret not knowing when to put an end to all this madness
Keeps me wanting
Keeps me wanting more...
Running from lions, never felt like such a mistake
Running from lions, never felt like such a mistake
Running from lions, never felt like such a mistake
Running from lions, never felt like such a mistake
Don’t forget, we’ve got unfinished business
Stories yet to unfold
Tales that must be retold
And I regret not knowing when to put an end to all this madness
Keeps me wanting
Keeps me wanting more...”
When he finished he heard clapping, the people around him were clapping but they weren’t the only ones... No at the back there was someone else, someone taller, someone with two toned hair. The people left once they realised Alex had stopped, some dropping notes into his hat as they past until it was only him and Jack, face to face once again.
“You kept my jacket”
Alex looked down, he was wearing it, just like always.
“I hoped I’d be able to meet its owner again one day, thought it might help”
“Well here I am” Jack shrugged. He hadn’t changed much from the last time Alex had seen him, his hair now two toned was still spiky and though he looked slightly older he was still as skinny and his eyes still as bright as they had been.
“Jack, would you go to coffee with me?”
“Now?”
“Yeah now”
“Hmm okay... But why?” Jack asked as Alex gathered the money from his hat and swung his guitar back over his shoulder.
“As a thank you”
“You don’t need to say thank you”
“Yes I do, come on” Alex held out his hand and hoped Jack would take it. Jack just shrugged, he dug his hands further into his pockets but followed Alex toward the same coffee shop as last time.
“The same place? Really?” Jack asked. Alex raised an eyebrow but smiled.
“It’s the best” he winked and Jack laughed.
This time Jack went to find seats why Alex paid for the drinks and joined him at a booth against the window.
“You’re doing better for yourself I see” Jack said, taking a sip of the hot coffee.
“You could say that” Alex laughed.
“What do you mean?”
“You don’t know?” Alex asked.
“Know what?” Jack’s eyebrows knitted together and Alex had to try not to laugh.
“You know that singer Alex Gaskarth? The famous one?”
“I’ve heard of him”
“That’s me”
“Fuck... No way”
“Yes way and yes I really did get naked at that awards show. What can I say? It was boring”
Jack laughed and nearly choked on his drink.
“I thought your voice sounded familiar but I never thought...”
“Yeah...”
“Then why are you here with me? You could be anywhere, why are you having coffee with me in this shithole?”
Alex was stumped by the question, wasn’t it obvious why he was there? To say thank you... To say everything he’d wanted to for the past 3 years.
“As I said, to say thank you. You were kind to me when I thought I had no one in the world, I was alone and scared and fucking freezing to death. But you made me feel like the world wasn’t so bad, plus I don’t know how I would have survived without this” Alex said, pulling on the sleeve of the jacket. Jack leant across the table and ran his fingers along Alex’s arm, feeling his old jacket once again.
“I’m glad I could help” Jack mumbled, Alex wondered if he was close to tears as he sat there staring at him.
“I didn’t ask, how are you?”
“I’m err... Okay I guess” Jack answered.
Alex had never stopped to think Jack may have been struggling, he’d been so kind and amazing to him that Alex had never stopped to think that the boy might have been fighting his own demons.
“Any... Anything I can do?” Alex asked.
“No, but... Thanks” Jack gave him a slightly unconvincing smile and Alex could see the tears in his eyes. Jack sniffed and rubbed his eyes with his sleeve before looking at Alex again.
“So tell me, what’s being famous like?”
Alex told stories of the silly things of fame, all the backstage antics and drunken parties.
“It all sounds amazing”
“It’s pretty cool. What about you? Last time I spoke to you, you were learning to play”
“I can play, just haven’t have the chance much lately.” Alex tried to ignore the sad look in his eyes as he said it.
“Don’t worry, sure you’ll be rocking on stage in no time” Alex said and Jack just smiled. Jack pulled out his phone, much like last time Alex knew what was coming.
“Shit, I’ve got to go”
“I knew you were going to say that”
“It was really nice to see you again Alex, I often wondered what happened to the boy who I gave my jacket to”
“Got famous apparently”
They both laughed and left the shop together, it wasn’t snowing this time but the sky had grown dark why they’d been talking.
“Well goodbye Alex”
Alex didn’t want to say goodbye, not yet it was too early. He still had so much he wanted to say but he just hadn’t found the words yet. Jack was walking away he had to stop him...
“Wait! Jack”
The boy turned back and looked at him expectantly.
“I have a gig... That’s why I’m back and I want you to come”
“Alex...”
“Pleaseeee, just tell them you’re Jack...”
“Barakat”
“That you’re Jack Barakat and they’ll let you in, guest list”
“I’ve never been guest list for anything before...”
“Then do it for me, do it for Baltimore!”
“What’s Baltimore got to do with it?” Jack asked, not bothering to hide the smirk on his lips.
“I don’t know, it sounded right. So will you?”
Jack stood there for a moment staring at the famous boy still wearing his leather jacket and decided surely one gig couldn’t hurt...
“Okay, I’ll be there”
“Thank you!” Alex ran up to him and gave him a hug. Jack was slightly taken a back but hugged him back all the same.