The Leather Jacket

Guts

Jack was a bit late arriving at the venue for Alex’s gig, he’d been late leaving the house but arrived in time to see the babble of teenage girls all crowded outside waiting to get in. Jack had done some lurking on the internet to see what he could find about the now famous Alex Gaskarth. He was 23, the same age as Jack himself, he’d been playing music for a long time and he seemed a genuine hard working musician. Jack had listened to some of his music, though it was a bit more pop than Jack normally listened to he found himself enjoying it and had ended up buying both of his albums. The doors opened and Jack made his way through the crowd, he’d not been to a gig for so long, he was dying for the feel of music again, to let it wash over him and push everything away for a while. Jack was stopped from walking any further by a man holding out a hand.
“Ticket please”
“Guest list, Jack Barakat”
The man pulled a piece of paper out of his pocket and scanned it, for a moment Jack thought Alex had forgotten him, made him come out here just to turn him away and laugh. Before the man found his name, scribbled in such bad hand writing it looked more like ‘Backarat’
Jack walked into the venue, he was hit with the smell of alcohol and something else... Sweat maybe. He didn’t mind because he could feel it in the air, the feeling of excitement that echoed from everyone crowded in the small space. After getting himself a beer Jack stood there the back, letting the fans fill up the space between him and the stage. These people had paid to see Alex, Jack was just there by chance they deserved to be the ones fighting for barrier. Jack continued to sip at his beer as the lights went down and the first support entered the stage.

3 supports Jack stood through, one really good female singer called Cassadee something, one slightly rubbish something pop band and one English band that Jack hoped he’d remember to look up later. When the lights went down for the fourth time the crowd erupted in screams and Jack made his way to as close into the crowd as he could. The curtain dropped, the crowd screamed and the music started. Jack could hear Alex before he could see him, standing on tip toes he caught a glimpse of the singer as he faced his crowd. It didn’t matter that the heat of the stage lights were already making him sweat but Alex was still wearing Jack’s leather jacket, Jack couldn’t help but smile when he realised. One simple act of kindness and there was Alex, singing to a sold out show in the same city he’d once been half freezing to death.
“You’re trigger-happy at harbour side
You’re taking shots at the strangers passing
There’s no such thing as a perfect crime
Don’t play that
You’ve said it enough
‘Cause you want me
Or you want me dead”
Alex’s voice was well Jack kinda hated to admit it but flawless, he’d come a long way from the boy he’d heard the first time. There was experience and understanding in those vocals, he knew what he was singing. Jack had no doubt that every word was his own.
“I’ve got my hands up
Yeah!
I’m staring down the barrel of a loaded night
I’ve got my hands up
Yeah! Yeah!
Do you want me?
Or do you want me...
Dead?”
Jack watched as the crowd screamed the lyrics back to him, watched the smile grow on his face as they did. Something tugged in Jack’s gut, something he’d been trying to ignore... He was jealous, Alex had everything Jack had ever wanted. Alex deserved it, of course he did but it didn’t make Jack feel much better. The last 3 years had been very different for Jack, he just wished he had a chance to do what he loved for once.
“Hey guys!”
Alex’s voice snapped Jack out of his thoughts and he looked back at the singer, his hair now stuck to his forehead with sweat but Jack had never seen him so happy.
“Are you all enjoying it so far?” he asked and the crowd screamed in reply.
“Now I have a special song for you all today” the crowd screamed even louder and Alex just laughed.
“Yes it’s one I don’t play enough, this is Guts”
The screaming was so loud Jack covered his ears till it passed.
“And... And it’s dedicated to a special person in the audience today. Jack, you fucker, this is for you”
“Shooting for the stats
Desperately reaching for something in the dark
Pictures of memories buried in my heart
Lay awake and dream of the endless possibilities
Catch my breath and go for it
Take a part everything that’s holding me down
Make a point to pick a new direction, to make a new connection
Is this what it feels like finding out
That I’ve got the guts to say anything
Feels like breaking out
When I can give me reputation
Finally, I can see
Honestly, I’ve got the guts to say anything”
Jack watched Alex sing, taking in every lyric he sang and every chord he played. It felt personal, like Alex had picked this song for a reason, like there was a meaning hiding in its lyrics. It was then that everything Jack had been holding on, all the problems he’d been holding on his shoulders finally let go and he was able to truly lose himself in the music.

Jack was lost to the world for the rest of Alex’s set, from Reckless and the Brave, Walls, Shameless, Vegas and Weightless. By the time Dear Maria came on Jack was singing and jumping with the rest of the crowd.
“Thank you all for coming out, I love you all! Goodnight!” Alex cheered and just before he left the stage Jack swore he caught him winking in his general direction. Out of breath, sweaty and with a slightly horse voice Jack joined the people to leave the venue until someone tapped him on the shoulder. He turned to see a security guard, he beckoned him to follow and Jack did, he figured he knew where he was being taken. He was lead away from all the fans until he was in an empty corridor but he could hear the sound of loud talking from behind one of the doors. The security guard left him outside the last door without a word, Jack could make out Alex’s voice from inside. He took a slightly nervous breath before pushing it open.
“Jack!” Alex straight away wrapped him in a hug, he was sweaty and kinda smelt but Jack hugged him back.
“Hey” Jack mumbled once he was free of Alex’s grip.
“Hi, oh Jack this is my manager Matt, Matt this is Jack”
Jack hadn’t noticed the other person in the room, but a man with dark hair and a lip ring held out his hand and Jack shook it.
“Well I’ve got people to talk to, you did great Alex” Matt pats him on the back and leaves the room.
“So what did you think?” Alex asked, he collapsed on one of the couches and patted beside him for Jack to sit.
“I loved it” Jack admitted, he didn’t think he’d love it so much but being there with the music blasting in his ears and the crowd around him it had been amazing.
“I’m so glad! I was afraid you’d find it boring”
“Never, you’re amazing”
“So I’ve been told” Alex laughed. He lent over the edge of the couch and pulled out a beer bottle.
“Want one?”
Jack nodded and Alex passed him his before pulling out another for himself.
“What was your favourite bit?” Alex asked.
Jack thought of the songs, they all seemed to melt in one. One amazing blur but he could no longer pick out exact bits... Expect one.
“Guts”
Alex tried to hide his blush by burying his face in the towel around his neck. Jack laughed and took a sip from his beer before he felt a vibrating in his pocket, he pulled out his phone and saw a list of unanswered messages.
“Oh shit”
What’s up?” Alex asked.
“I’ve got to go”
“But you just got here”
“I’m sorry”
Jack put down his beer and got up, making sure he had everything he turned to leave.
“Wait Jack, why do you keep skipping out on me? Every time we’re together you go running off”
“I just have somewhere to be”
“It’s nearly midnight, what’s so important?”
“Nothing” Jack mumbled.
“Then stay”
“I can’t”
“Jack...”
“Sorry Alex, I had a good time and it was great to see you again but I have to go”
“Jack please...”
Jack ignored him and walked out of the room, he didn’t have time for some rock stars dramatic behaviour.
“Jack!”
He was half way down the street when he heard Alex catch up to him.
“Jack please, wait up”
“I told you I have to go”
“At least tell me what’s so important”
“Alex I barely know you! You’re just some rockstar I was nice one time, that’s the end of our connection”
“But...”
“Goodnight Alex”
Jack turned the corner and Alex didn’t follow him. Jack sighed, he’d loved Alex’s gig but he couldn’t spend all night getting drunk and having fun. Jack wondered if Alex had forgotten what it was like to live a normal life... Not that Jack’s life was exactly normal.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi guys, I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Is it too early for you to guess at what Jack's running off to? :)