The Leather Jacket

Mistakes in the Dark

Alex pulled Jack through the streets, diving and twisting to avoid the reporters chasing them. Their hands gripped so tightly together it was hard to tell where one of them ended and the other began.
“Need.... To... Stop” Jack panted, falling back against a wall as he tried to catch his breath.
“We’re nearly back at my place” Alex replied, struggling to catch his own breath.
Both of them stood still against the wall, their hearts hammering in their chests, legs like jelly and chests aching. But smiling, smiling like idiots as they stared at each other in the semi darkness. A sound from behind them snapped them out of each other’s gaze.
“Come on”
Alex tugged on Jack’s hand and they ran again, a flash of the camera’s going off behind them.

“We’ll be safe here” Alex said as he fumbled with the key to his apartment. When he finally got the door open Jack let go of Alex’s hand in surprise. Alex frowned as Jack’s fingers were no longer entwined with his.
The apartment was huge, all open planned and modern. Alex’s guitars and gold records decorated the walls, it was unlike any home Jack had ever seen and just like he’d imagine the home of a pop star to be.
“Your home’s amazing!”
“Home? Ha” Alex laughed, collapsing on the couch.
“Do you tour too much to really have a home?” Jack asked, sitting the couch beside Alex.
“It’s not that, I haven’t had anything that’s felt like home for a very long time”
“Doesn’t that get lonely?” Jack asked.
Jack was still in awe of the place, it was way better than where he had to call home. He couldn’t understand how Alex could be so indifferent about it.
“Yeah it can do” Alex admitted.
“I’d kill for a place like this, want to swap?” Jack joked but looking over at Alex he seemed on the edge of tears.
“What’s wrong?”
“How do you think I ended up the streets?” he asked.
“Alex I...”
“They abandoned me, they threw me out and now I’m alone in this stupid world”
At that Alex burst into tears. Jack didn’t know what to do, he realised the confidence Alex always had was just a front, the real one was scared and alone. He wasn’t the pop star everyone thought he was, in fact he was closer to Jack himself, someone who’d been hurt by their family.
Jack figured it was probably the alcohol in his system that didn’t help and had led to the tears.
“It’s okay” Was all Jack could think to say.
He shuffled closer to Alex and put his arms around him only to have Alex lean into him and bury his head into Jack’s shoulder. Alex continued to cry and Jack just let him, holding the boy in his lap trying to think of something comforting to say.
“Why didn’t they want me?” Alex sniffed.
Jack’s heart broke. Nineteen years old and they threw him out, how could any parents be so heartless?
“It’s their loss”
Alex shifted and slid down so he was resting his head on the younger’s chest. Jack began to run his fingers through Alex’s caramel coloured hair in a hope to calm him. Alex’s soft crying stopped and was replaced by the sounds of soft snores, the whole breaking down thing wearing him out completely. Jack began struggling to keep his own eyes open, the dinner, the running from reporters and then Alex. Jack couldn’t fight it as he fell asleep on the couch with Alex still curled up on top of him, the phone in his pocket forgotten.

Sunlight streamed through the large windows, no one had closed the blinds the night before so as the sun rose in the sky the apartment lit up like a Christmas tree. Jack tried to squeeze his eyes tighter to stop the light but it was no use, the sun was up so it seemed Jack was to be too. He opened his eyes only to realise he wasn’t in his own home, he was lying on the couch at Alex’s. He rubbed his head trying to remember what had happened but the alcohol making things a bit fuzzy. They’d been running and then Alex... Alex had broken down on him. Jack struggled to sit up, fighting with the blanket covering him. He couldn’t remember it last night but if he was honest he didn’t trust his memory at that moment. When he finally got the blanket away he noticed he was only wearing his boxers... He certainly didn’t remember doing that last night.
“Ah you’re awake”
Alex waltzed into the room, dressed in sweats and a white t shirt. His hair was messy and his eyes still slightly red from the night before.
“Why aren’t I wearing pants?” Jack asked.
“Ohh right, I took them off. You were fast asleep but you looked so uncomfortable in your jeans so I took them off. I hope you don’t mind”
“You remember last night?” Jack asked.
“I remember waking up at like 3am, on top of you. It was that point I took off your pants, gave you a blanket and went to bed. Why was there something else?”
“You broke down on me...”
Judging by how wide Alex’s eyes went at the words, it seemed he didn’t remember.
“You told me about your family and you just kind of lost it, you eventually cried yourself to sleep on me”
“Oh god...” Alex hid his head in his hands.
“I’m sorry, I’m so sorry” he mumbled.
“Hey it’s okay”
Jack got up and put his hand to Alex’s back, ignoring his bare legs and the fact he shirt wasn’t quite long enough to cover his bum.
“I’m sorry I didn’t mean to... I’d...”
“Had too much to drink, happens to the best of us” Jack tried to reassure him but Alex just looked mortified at himself.
“You need tea”
Jack took Alex’s hand and let him to the kitchen, sitting him down in one of the stools by the counter Jack went about making him tea. He’d opened nearly every cupboard before he found the mugs, Alex never saying a word until Jack put the steaming mug in front of him.
“Thanks” Alex smiled and took a sip of his tea, the silence feeling awkward neither not really knowing what to say next.
“I really am sorry...” Alex started.
“There’s no need to be”
“But I am, I’ve never told anyone that before....I didn’t mean to drop it all on you like that.”
Finally Jack understood Alex’s pain and embarrassment. He’d been holding and holding on to that secret for years and then he finally says it to someone who was almost a stranger.
“I promise it’s safe with me”
Alex smiled. “Thank you”
“Alex, do you think I could have my pants back? I’m kind of cold”
“Oh shit, yeah sorry I forgot. They’re in the utility room, I ran them through the dryer for you”
“Hmm thanks”
Jack went through the door at the back of the kitchen, the utility room was almost as big as the kitchen in Jack’s home. With a washing machine and dryer lined up along the wall. Jack’s jeans were hanging on one of the rails, his phone and keys lying beside them. Turning on his phone he saw 15 messages and a bunch of missed calls... Fuck! He was spouse to be back but he’d stayed out all night, fuck, fuck, fuck. Scrabbling into his jeans as quickly as he could and making sure he stuffed his things back into his pockets Jack made to leave.
“Alex, I really have to go” he called.
“What? It’s early 8am” Alex replied.
“I know, I’m sorry but I promised I’d be back and I’m not. I’m sorry”
Jack went to do the door but Alex stopped him before he could leave.
“Wait Jack, can I see you again? It’s just I don’t have any friends here and...”
“Here”
Jack picked up a pen from the table by the door and wrote something on Alex’s arm.
“See you Alex”
“Bye Jack”
Jack disappeared out the door, running down the flights of stairs and out on to the street. Alex watched him from his window until he was out of sight before he looked at what was written on his arm. A phone number and the words ‘You are not alone.’
♠ ♠ ♠
Do you guys have an theories on where Jack is running to? All to be reviled soon!