Lone Wolf.

Family Ties.

Serena wouldn't take no for an answer this time around for dinner. She insisted that I come over and, as nervous as I was, I agreed.
Running a hand through my hair, I grab the flowers in the seat beside me. I'd switched out for the Jeep, wanting to appear a bit more suitable to her family. The truck was a bit dirty and it's been through better days.
I hop out and make my way up the steps, knocking as I tap my foot. Serena opens up, much to my relief, and smiles as she lets me in. "You made it."
"You didn't give me a choice," I chuckle teasingly. Clearing my throat, I hold out the blooming flowers that were for her.
"Aww, for me?" she coos, grinning happily. She kisses my cheek before leading me into the kitchen. I could feel myself blushing and curse myself for it.
I spot her father still in his uniform at one end of the table, looking up from a newspaper. "John," he says with a slanted grin. "Glad you could join us."
Her brother turns around. I remember his name is Jackson and take in his features. He had the same brown hair as his father except a bit lighter and styles. He had the perfect tan, with a much more hardy build. His arms were big and muscular, looking like they could hardly fit in his shirt. He kind of reminded me of Tim a bit, with his dark beard. He had sharp cheek bones and a strong nose and what I could see now were a deep dark blue.
"I'm Jackson," he greets, holding out his hand. He had a tattoo on the inside of his forearm. At least I knew I wouldn't be criticized about that.
"John," I nod as we shake.
He shoots me a smirk. "So you're the guy dad says ReeRee won't shut up about."
"Jacks," she scoffs and I can't help but chuckle. I've heard that nickname from them a few times before. I'd have to remember that for later.
His dad stands, approaching to hold out his arm. He shakes my hand. "Well, come sit. Dinner's waiting for you."
"You were waiting for me?" I ask them in surprise, looking at Serena.
Jackson scoffs, sliding into a chair. "Please, more like she wouldn't let us touch the food till you got here. So you better not disappoint."
I swallow thickly, not quite sure what he means, but taking a seat at the table. Serena is across from me and her father is next closest to me.
We dig in once we're all seated and have casual conversation. It's an Italian dish that Serena made, and I'm taken aback how delicious it tasted. She could definitely cook.
"This is incredible," I mumble through my mouthful. I could lick this plate clean if it wasn't for her dad and brother watching.
"Yeah, good as always, sis," Jackson speaks as he leans back in his chair. "So, how did you and Johnny boy here meet?"
I look over at her, conflicted how to answer. Did we tell them we met at Bartlett Lake or would that give it away?
"I ran into him when Charlie and I came back from Cali-"
"I remember Charlie," her father interjects. "How is he? Why haven't you talked to him lately? I liked that boy."
I can't help but grunt and roll my eyes. I remembered that good for nothing scum. Not without her dad noticing though, and I stay quiet.
Serena sighs, mumbling, "He just wasn't meant for me, daddy."
He raises an eyebrow but doesn't press the matter further. We eat in silence, finishing up before Serena stands to carry her plate over to the sink and Jackson joins her. I'm about to rise to my feet to help with the dishes when her father clears his throat. "You know, son, I've always been protective over my little girl."
I lower myself back in the chair, nodding slowly. This is the speech that every guy dreaded.
"Ever since my wife died, she's my world," he explains.
"I've heard a lot about her, Sir," I mutter, noticing his nametag on his brown uniform. Perry. "She sounded like a really great mother."
He smiles, chuckling. "She sure was. An incredible woman, too. I'd do anything for her, just like I do my daughter. Serena is very dear to me. It's part of the reason I became an officer. I wanted to make sure that she'd always be safe. I've always looked out for her."
"I make sure to do the same, Sir," I assure her. How did I prove to him that she was important to me?
He gives me a steady look, folding his hands. "Are you saying what I think you are?"
"If you think what I'm saying is that I wouldn't break your daughter's heart, then yes," I chuckle. "I'll always put her first, Roderick, sir. I may not have known her for as long as you probably knew your wife, but she knows me better than anyone. All she has to do is look at me and..." I take a deep breath. "I fall even deeper."
He grins almost knowingly and shakes his head. "Alright, inspection over," he laughs. "You're whipped, son."
I chuckle and shake his hand, relief flowing through me. Well, at least that was one less person I had to worry about.
I move into the kitchen, where Jackson is drying a plate and smirks over his shoulder. "So he didn't send you running. That must be good."
Serena raises her head and turns around to look at her brother. Her eyes widen. Were you two planning this?!"
"Don't worry, I'm not taking off," I muse, seeing her horrified look. Walking over, I snake my arms around her and tuck a strand of hair behind her ear. "I'm not going anywhere."
She smiles and Jackson straightens, placing the plate on the counter as he crosses his arms. "You might have convinced my pops, but you've still got to win me over, buddy."
"Can it, Jacks," she mumbles and tugs on my hand. With a mischievous knowing smile, she asks, "How about a little sun?"
"Well, uh-" Before I can respond, she pulls me back into the kitchen, where her father is wiping his mouth on a napkin. Ser smiles sweetly. "Daddy, is it okay if John and I go out for a walk?"
~
I whine, pulling a face as I slump my shoulders. "Gimme treaaaaat."
"You're such a child," she laughs, tossing the pieces of jerky she'd brought from her house. I'm surprised her dad had agreed with no hesitance. He must trust me if he was letting me out with Serena.
I catch the meat in the air in my mouth, chewing happily before sitting beside her. I lay my head in her lap and open wide, awaiting another piece.
She scoffs, but her giggle betrays her. "You're milking it, you dog."
"Of course I am. Now feed me."
"I don't know who you think you are," she teases, laying a stick on my nose. "Staaay."
I groan. "Serena." With a twitch of my lips, I reach for the beef jerky myself and bite. "Be nice, ReeRee."
Her eyes narrow. "Do not call me that."
I laugh just as my phone rings. It's Tim, so I knew I had to take it.
"Gimme a sec," I muse, standing and walking a few feet away before answering.
"Hello?"
"Hey, where are you?"
I rub my neck, unable to come up with a valid reason. "I'm out. What's up?"
"Out? I thought you were gonna start packing."
I scoff. "Tim, I can pack later. We don't leave for a few more weeks."
"That's not what you're going to be telling me when you forget something at home," he argues, and I could hear the disapproving frown in his voice. He always wanted us to be prepared ahead of time so we had time in between for other things, as well as remember anything we might be forgetting.
"John?"
My stomach sinks and I turn, Serena's eyes staring at me in confusion and accusation.
Shit.
"Tim, I'll call you back," I mutter, not giving him a chance to answer before I end the call. "Ser-"
I wince at the sound of her voice raising. "You're leaving?!"
I knew I should've brought it up sooner. I could have brought it up over lunch, but I'd failed to muster up the courage. The most we had discussed that day in my room was that I was in the band. That's as far as we got on the topic. As far as she'd known then, I wasn't planning on packing up and taking off so soon.
"Serena, I-"
"Why didn't you tell me?" she scoffs, rising to her feet from the tree stump. "You couldn't be bothered to mention it? Or is it not common sense?"
I bite my lip as I reach out for her cheek but she flinches away. "I didn't know how, okay," I mutter guiltily. "How I was supposed to tell you? We tour a lot and by then I'd already met you and-"
"So you were just going to leave?" she whispers, looking hurt. I didn't like that look. Her brows would furrow and I couldn't see the true blue of her eyes.
Sighing shakily, I rub the back of my neck. "No, I wasn't gonna just disappear, I would've called you. I thought maybe if I told you after that it'd be easier but that was stupid. I'm really sorry, Ser. You know I don't want to leave you, but-"
"But you don't care enough about me being left alone to give me a heads up," she says harshly. She looked pissed now. "Right," she scowls, turning on her heel.
I catch her by the arm gently, pulling her back to me. "Baby, please."
"How would you feel, John? What if one day I just stopped showing up? Would you look for me? Wouldn't you be mad that I hadn't told you where I was going or if something was wrong?"
I lower my head, my thumb brushing along her arm. "I wouldn't be mad. I'm pretty sure my first thought would be that you got bored or sick of me."
"Precisely," she mutters as she moves away. My heart twists at seeing her disappointed. I'd do anything to make her forgive me.
She turns toward the trees and the panic rises in my chest. I sigh, running a hand through my hair. "Serena."
She looks over her shoulder at me and I walk up, taking her hands to place them on each side of my face. "Don't let me go so easily."
She blinks, her lips parted as they fall to rest on my shoulders and I look around, making sure no one was was around to witness me possibly humiliating myself. Not that there would be anyone; we were in the clear as usual. I meet her eyes before taking a deep breath and closing mine, focusing all my energy to keep my body still. My brows knit together as I feel the familiar emerging of skin, like I was shedding one layer and entering another. My bones burn and my shoulder blades ache for the rest of me to shift, but I resist the urge. I feel something at the top of my head, a new weight I wasn't used to. They twitch and I open my eyes, Serena's eyes wide. I'm assuming it worked.
"Are they there?" I mumble sheepishly and she nods, gently reaching up to touch them. They were soft to the touch, pointed and furry. "You...grew out your ears," she giggles softly. I let her tug and rub them as I hold back a grumble. There goes my dignity.
"I didn't know if I could do it," I explain, never having tried transforming one part of my body and not all of it; it usually all happened instantaneously. But I've been doing it for so long now that I figured it couldn't be too hard.
"This doesn't mean I'm not mad," she blurts out quickly, dropping her hands to cross her arms. "I'm still upset."
I nod. "I know. I just wanted to put a smile on your face."
She bites her lip as she steps back. She was eyeing my wolf ears as well as my face. "You want me to forgive you?"
"Uhhh, yeah," I chuckle nervously, wondering what trick she'd want to see me pull next. Grinning, she rubs and flicks my ear one last time before stepping back. "Sit, boy."
My eyes widen. "Babe...seriously?"
She tugs my ear again, roughly this time, causing me to yelp. "If you want me to let this one slide, then yes. I want you to sit."
"This isn't fair," I scoff, wincing from her hold on it. I felt like a child as it is, I'm not going to go and add 'dog' to that.
Letting go, Serena sighs. "Fine. Guess I'll see you after tour. Have fun."
"Wait," I groan as she turns to leave. I plop down in the dirt, bending my legs as I lay my hands flat on the ground. My shoulders were slumped in a sulking position and I shoot her my best puppy eyed pout. I hope she appreciated what I was going through for her. I was willingly throwing my dignity out the window.
Her lips twitch, a smile breaking across her face and betraying her serious look. She laughs and kneels down before taking my face in her hands. "You're so gullible. You didn't actually have to do it. I just wanted a sincere apology."
I scoff, throwing my hands up at my sides. "That was a sincere apology before! What, you thought I didn't m-"
She thumbs my ears and hums as she presses her nose to mine. "Hush. I forgive you."
Her blue eyes are sincere and I think back to the question that's been on my mind since the other night. "Good. Hey, listen, I know this is going to sound ridiculous but I saw something. I came here for a late night run and I heard something in the bushes...it seemed like an animal, but it ran away before I could know for sure. It was watching me." I pause and lick my lips slowly. "I don't know who or what it was but...I swear it had your eyes."
Her eyebrows furrow, as if trying to process what I was telling her. I didn't think she was lying to me, but I had no other explanation.
"What do you think you saw?" she mutters, moving away.
I bite my lip as I rub my arm. "I just...it smelled like another wolf."
She looks away toward the trees shaking her head. "You think that wolf was me. You think I'm a wolf."
"No," I insist. "I don't think anything because I don't know. I just had no other possible explanation other than-"
"Other than me hiding something like that from you?"
I wince. This wasn't going like I planned. "Ser, no. I'm not accusing you of anything."
"I have to go," she whispers, turning without another word. I call out to her but I don't try to stop her from leaving. If it really wasn't true, she wouldnt be acting so...reserved.
Think about it, John, I say in my head. Back to that day in the forest. She'd shown up at the lake. Then at night. She couldn't have transformed in front of that guy because he couldn't know. She had looked for me those first few days, and she somehow always showed up almost soundlessly.
It couldn't be her...could it?
♠ ♠ ♠
The mystery continues....do you think Serena is a wolf? Or is there someone else lingering in the trees?