Lone Wolf.

Normal.

"John? John, man, wake up!"
My head rises tiredly from the table, looking around at my bandmates. I rub a hand across my face. "Shit, sorry," I mumble roughly.
Kennedy shoots me a worried look. "Everything okay? You haven't seemed yourself at all this week."
I sigh at the obvious fact that my friend pointed out. I'd started dozing off at rehearsals from the lack of sleep. I've been scavenging the forest at night more lately and trying to get a certain someone off my mind. She was usually the reason I ended up awake in the first place. I couldn't fall asleep, so I'd make a quick stop in my other skin in hopes that I'd get tired out; which I most certainly definitely did.
"I'm alright," I mutter as I rub my neck, announcing I was going to grab a coffee to keep myself focused. We were discussing our upcoming album so it was necessary that I stay attentive.
My phone buzzes and my heart does a leap when I see Serena's name pop up on the screen. We'd just exchange numbers the other day; that was another reason for my restlessness, the constant hope I'd hear from her.
'Hey Johnny boy! Would you be comfortable going somewhere with me outside of your territory?'
I feel my lips tilt up as I reply.
'Depends. Does it require me to wear a collar?'
'Very funny. Actually no, you can dress in your normal attire.'
'So naked?'
'Your HUMAN attire. Dress nicely. And be on your best behavior, wolf boy.'
My eyebrows furrow slightly, wondering where we could possibly be going. I also wish she'd stop calling me wolf boy.
I send her an okay and she asks, 'Meet you outside the forest?'
Smirking, I figure I'd amuse her.
'Woof.'
~
After I've pulled up in my usual spot, I lean against the bed of my truck and cross my ankles as I stuff my legs at the ankles. I hoped I was dressed 'nicely' enough. I pulled on a simple long sleeved black shirt and matched it with a pair of dark jeans and newest boots. I still didn't know what she was taking me to so I kept it simple enough.
Soon, Serena appears from the trees, which the lowering sun was hitting and making the leaves seem golden. It does the same to her dark hair. She gleams at me before striding over to me. "So you only take orders as a human, then?"
I roll my eyes. "Hi there."
She giggles and lets her fingers lace with mine. "Hey. Ready for some fun?"
"Where are we going?" I ask as I open the car door for her. She climbs in before I make my way around, buckling in.
"There was a fair going on this week and today's the last day," she says with a smile. "I thought it'd be cool for us to go and check it out."
I swallow as I straighten in my seat, trying to picture the typical date-
Shit, this was a date. That wasn't my usual type of scene, nor would it be my first choice, but I was more nervous about boring her than anything.
Pulling onto the road, I listen to her directions as she guides me to the correct address, noticing the lights and rides and attractions a few yards away. Chewing on my lip, I try to think of what guys usually do for their girlfriends. Does this mean I have to try and win her a bear?
We make our way to the ticket booth, each taking our stubs and walking beside each other. We stop by the food first after I suggest grabbing a bite. I could smell those hot dogs from a mile away.
I hand Serena hers, her nose crinkling. "Mustard?"
"Oh, sorry, you don't like it?" I mumble, blushing. I hadn't asked now that I thought about it.
She shrugs. "Well, I've never really tried it, but-"
"What?!" I scoff. "You're missing out. I bet you've never tried a Chicago style hotdog either."
She gives me a blank stare and I laugh. "Oh God."
"What? We're not in Chicago!"
"You're so.." I let my sentence drift off and she takes a bite out of her hotdog, shooting me a look before humming. "That's not half bad."
I chuckle as I accept mine and pay for our food before walking down the various aisles of fair games. She pointed out ones that she wanted to try and I groan inwardly when I see the row of various stuffed animals lining the shelves as prizes. I'd have to pick something I'm good at.
We come across a face painting area and she grins. "Can I draw whiskers and a paw print on your face?"
"Don't touch me," I tease and she giggles, finishing the last of her hotdog and throwing the paper away. She skips back over to me, causing me to smirk. "Someone's giddy."
She rolls her eyes. "I'm just glad you agreed to come. I thought you'd transform then and there and run away from me."
"Why would I be dumb enough to do that?" I laugh, stuffing my hands in my pockets. I was tempted to wrap an arm around her and sink my nose into her hair. She smelled that good.
"I dunno, you don't seem like the typical 'go on dates' type of guy," she mumbles. "You spend most of your time in the forest-"
I stop her, pulling her back to me with a small smile. "Well you're right about the first part. The second part is actually not as true as you'd think. Most of my time is spent on the road."
She raises an eyebrow. "Oh?"
I nod, resuming our walk as I begin to tell her about my...normal life. She seemed amazed to learn that I could manage to hide my wolf side so well. It wasn't easy, but I've gotten better at it over time.
She stops me when she spots one of those hammer high striker games with the bell at the top. "C'mon, you should try it!"
"Isn't that a little stereotypical?" I ask playfully and she rolls her eyes. "Shut up. I wanna see how strong you are. Pleaaaase?"
I let her pull me along and chuckle. "Why don't you try it, huh?"
"You first," she says with a grin, crossing her arms. The line is short and soon I'm handed the mallet. I shoot her a smirk over my shoulder before winding back and bringing it down on the lever. Not a moment later I hear the bell ring. When I turn around to look at Serena, she's still gawking up at the bell at the top of the tower. I roll my eyes. "It wasn't that astounding-"
"Uh, sir," the guy collecting the tickets says with a slightly impressed look. "I think you broke it."
I look up at the bell and see that the puck was stuck.
Oops.
I sheepishly hand the mallet over and dig out my wallet. "I, shit, I'm sorry."
"It's okay! There's no need to pay anything, don't worry about it."
I bite my lip but Serena merely giggles and walks up next to me. "Guess I can't try it after all."
I blush and pull us away, staying silent as we look for something else to do. We walk past one of those water gun target games, both people handling the gun laughing as they raced each other to the top.
The puddle on the floor wets my boots slightly but I feel my instincts kick in when Serena stumbles, her shoes not withstanding the water and slipping. I crouch down as she falls back, catching her quickly. Her hands were gripping my jacket as she stares up at me. I feel my heart thump at her blue eyes piercing mine and help her back on her feet.
"Uhh," I say, running a hand through my hair. "Look, a ring toss. Cmon, I'll win you something."
"You don't have-" I start pulling her towards the booth, interrupting her sentence.
I hand over one of stubs and hang the rings on my wrist as I lean down, tossing the first over the empty milk bottle. It was only the closest one. I take the next ring and shoot for the farthest bottle, missing. I wince. Maybe I should've gone for something that involved pitching.
After another try, I end up getting two of the rings onto the real winner and sigh in relief. She chuckles. "Are you seriously still trying to impress me because I don't think there's any need for that."
I scoff. "Shut up and pick a prize."
She purses her lips and I watch as she mulls over what she wants until a wide grin forms across her face. She points, gesturing to the man at the booth. "That one."
I look over and my eyes widen. Of course she'd choose a wolf.
"Seriously," I mutter as I watch her press her face into the fake animal.
"You could've just gotten me cotton candy, but no," she teases, giggling.
I smirk, pleased by the happy look on her face. "I'm offended but as long as its not actual fur you can have it."
Serena rolls her eyes, holding the dog like toy on her hip. She leans up on her tippy toes before brushing her lips against my cheek. My face grows warm and she takes my hand. "We should do this again."
"I wouldn't be opposed," I say, suppressing a smile. Seeing her more often would definitely help with all that time I spent thinking about her. It gave me reason to stay human more. I couldn't hold hands with her when I was a wolf.
Being around her made me feel more normal than I had in a long time.