Lone Wolf.

In It For the Chase.

The sky was a murky light gray, but it didn't have the effect it usually did on my mood. It was almost relaxing to have the day so calm. And when it started raining, I found comfort in the sound of it hitting my windshield on my drive to the store.
I absentmindedly play with the necklace Serena had brought me the other day, moving the small wolf charm between my fingers. I run my thumb over it as a smile tugs at my lips. I hadn't gotten the chance to wear it until now, but it fit extremely well, resting over my chest.
After pulling into the parking lot and finding an empty spot, I make my way into the store, moving quickly through the aisles to find the essentials that I came here for; deodorant, toilet paper, milk, cereal. I didn't think I was forgetting anything, but knowing me, I'd get distracted with something else in the store and forget one of those.
Once I've grabbed two of the four, I dart through until I reach the food section. There were rows of cereal but I couldn't find my favorite-
I bump into someone beside me and turn. "Sorry," we say at the same time and I raise an eyebrow. Her sparkling blue eyes look up at me in amusement as she smiles.
"Well, would you look at what the wolf dragged in," she giggles, grinning.
"Serena," I say in a surprised tone. "Hey."
"Weren't expecting to see me here?" she asks teasingly.
I chuckle as I find the brand I was looking for. "Not exactly, no."
"I could say the same, wolf boy. Tell me, is this where you get your meat or are you vegetarian?"
Rolling my eyes, I drop the box of cereal into the basket. "I eat regular food, including meat, the same as everyone else, thank you very much."
"Really? I could've sworn that I heard wolves only ate raw meat-"
I shoot her a pointed look. "Enough with the wolf jokes...wolf girl."
She laughs. "Ooh, good one. I swear I'm only messing with you." Her hip bumps mine and I look over. It's then that I notice her hair is up in a high ponytail, the first time I've seen it like that.
"I know," I mutter and let her walk with me as we approach the dairy aisle. "So what are you doing out and about?"
"We needed groceries," she says with a light shrug. She grabs a carton of eggs in passing before we come to a stop in front of the milk shelves, the air cool as I reach for one. I look down at her with a small smirk. "Well, that's everything I need. Oh, wait!" I snap my fingers. "Almost forgot the doggy treats."
She chuckles. "Alright, point taken. I'll tone it down."
"Thank you-"
Just then, a man approaches with a cart and a confused look as he holds up a jar. "ReeRee, is this the right kind of jelly? You didn't tell me if you wanted grape or strawberry."
"Strawberry's fine, dad," she chuckles and I stiffen, clearing my throat. He was an average build, about my height and dark hair like hers, with deep set brown eyes hidden beneath his brows. His jaw was covered in light brown stubble and had a scratch on his chin. He eyes me for a moment before smiling over at Serena. "Who's your friend, sweetie?"
"Uh, John, sir," I nod and hold out my hand. He gives mine a firm shake with a chuckle. "Roderick. Nice to meet you."
I adjust the basket on my arm as I scratch the side of my neck. "Likewise. Well, I'll get going, see you around, Serena."
She gives a small pout before smiling. "Okay. Oh, dad, did you grab the paper towels?"
Her father stares down into the cart before looking back up and gives a long sigh. "Be right back." He turns around and I smile. Well, he seemed like a good man. At least he hadn't given me the death glare. Yet, anyway.
"He's not so bad," I mutter.
Serena purses her lips. "He's hard around the edges when he wants to be. But yeah. I should help him find what he needs before he gets lost."
I laugh and wave when she takes a few steps back. Looking over her shoulder to make sure her father wasn't looking, she presses her lips to my cheek before skidding away giddily. She stops to look over her shoulder. "Oh. Don't forget to buy some towels."
~
I fold and lay out the two new towels on top of the rock closest to the shore before shredding off my sweatshirt. The air was misty, relieving from the Arizona heat. It was perfect. The lake post rain was one of my favorites, after all. It would be muddy and cool, with the water rippling and an extra inch higher.
And maybe it was the wolf side of me talking, but getting to roll around in the mud sounded pretty fun, too.
Once I've slipped off the rest of my clothes and shift on the ground, my nose catches a whiff of a familiar scent. Not a moment sooner do my ear perk up at the sound of leaves crunching and her voice calling out. "Helloooo?"
I smile my wolfy grin and wait until she appears from the trees to roll onto my back in the damp dirt, staring up at her.
"Oh," she chuckles, shaking her a head. "You're a goddamn puppy."
Rolling and jumping back onto my feet, I lean down and wag my tail in the air, as if to say, Wanna play?
Serena sighs before tugging off her sweater. She still had her ponytail from the store. "The ground's kinda wet," she mutters as she steps over a small puddle. Her feet slide and she takes a moment to steady herself. "Whoa."
I grin, already prepared to get her dirty. She seemed to sense this and steps back. "No way."
Her hands come out in front of her when I pounce into the sloshy water, slightly covering her legs. She narrows her eyes but her smile betrays her. "Bring it on."
Lunging forward, I take off in a run toward her. She laughs as I chase her and she dodges behind a tree, holding onto it as she pokes her head out. We circle around it until she changes direction, but I block her from going anywhere, my muddy paws stomping down in front of me as I crouch. Hope that's not a new shirt, I think before pouncing on her, my muddy fur brushing along her arms and clothes.
"John," she groans, giggling. She tries to hold me at a distance, but I merely rise on my hind legs and rest the others on her shoulders.
My tongue sticks out the side of my mouth as I pant. Serena plops down, attempting to wipe her hands on the grass. As if it mattered; she had mud all over her now.
Noticing her nearly clean thigh, I tilt my head to one side and press my paw down. It leaves the print behind, like a stamp, and she looks up at me. I nudge her nose with mine, causing her to sigh."Is it weird when you do stuff like that, it makes me wish you were human so I could kiss you?"
I feel the smug look on my face as I lick her cheek dramatically. She whines when my tongue swipes along the length of her nose, her chin, forehead, and just about every other part of her face.
"Okay, I get it," she laughs, ruffling my dirty fur and holding my muzzle. "But you're a sloppy kisser."
Huffing, I pull away and move towards the water, going into the lake to rid myself of the mid. I come out soaking wet, walking right up to Serena with a smirk before shaking my body, starting from my head to my hips, and splash it all onto her. She gasps. "John!"
I bounce around for a moment with a small howl. Well at least I was helping get her clean; it could have been more mud.
After she's grabbed my towel to wipe herself off, she wraps me in it like a blanket and coos. "Awww, your ears are so big they hardly fit."
I narrow my eyes, grumbling to myself as she dries my fur. "Quit fussing," she tells me each time I try to wiggle out of her grasp, rubbing behind my ears. A satisfying shiver runs up my spine when she scratches the right spot. I sigh, wagging my tail lightly and she continues to do it until I'm dry.
"There," Serena giggles, removing the towel as she rubs my head. "Maybe I should nickname you Thumper." I cock my head to one side and she points to my tail. "You sure you're not a regular dog?"
It falls sheepishly to the ground as I whine in the back of my throat. It's not like I could control it.
She rolls her eyes when I move away, plopping down beside a raggedy rock near the lake. The sun was slowly beginning to shine through, patterns of specks appearing from the shadows of the trees. It feels warm on my fur and I close my eyes, letting my body relax under a flock of birds that pass by.
A chuckle interrupts the peaceful quiet. "Sunbathing by the lake there?"
I squint one eye open, seeing she's leaning against the tree bark on the other end of the forest, her legs tucked under her. She has her phone in her hands and looks distracted. I fully open my eyes, watching her intently. She had a way of biting the inside of her cheek as she seemed to read something. Her eyes glance back up, meeting mine and I don't tear my gaze away. She smiles. "Acting as my guard dog, eh?" I roll my eyes as I stand, moving in a circle to try to get comfortable. My tail flicks when a tint fly passes by and I narrow my eyes, reaching for it with my teeth. Caught up in the moment, I go after it. The damn thing was only inches from my face-
Her laugh breaks my concentration and I look up, seeing her phone pointed at me. My eyes widen. Had she been recording that?
I growl as I try to look menacing but she merely giggles. "You're adorable. Do it again."
Huffing, I dive into the water, taking less than five seconds to shift and emerging with a glare. "Delete it," I tell her, my voice rough.
Serena scoffs, crossing her arms. "Make me."
I raise an eyebrow and stretch for the towel perched on the rock, shielding myself with it before securing it around my waist once I'm on the ground. I trudge over to Serena. "Give it."
"Or what?" she mutters, still seated at the foot of the tree. I crouch down and swoop for it, but she pulls away in time. "Hey!"
"Serena," I groan. "Delete that video."
"But I want it!"
She backs up but I kneel, reaching for the phone. She holds it away again, causing me to fall forward on top of her with a grunt. I wrestle with her as I struggle to keep the towel around my hips, still wet from the lake. "Give me that phone," I huff.
She keeps it out of my reach, giggling, "But you're so cuuuute. You almost caught it."
Water drips from my hair as I lean over her, staring at her intensely. Her lips part and I'm almost shocked when no witty comment slips past them. My hand finally grasps her phone and I swiftly move to tuck it back into her pocket before looking back at her. The video was long forgotten. I was too engrossed at her big blue eyes staring up at me like an innocent child's.
"I..." Her voice was a whisper and I rest on my forearms, smirking. For once, I had the upper hand. "Yes?"
She bites her lip before holding the back of my neck and bringing my head down to meet her mouth. My body tenses as her tongue slides with mine and I return the kiss with double the fervor. I take her face in my hands as the mud gets into her hair and I wrap my fist around her ponytail, tugging gently. A moan escapes her lips, leaning up desperately as she twines her fingers into my own hair. She locks her arms tightly around me as my hips press against hers, my breath growing heavy.
I slide my hand down to her waist, her back arching from my touch. I could feel a growl rising in my chest as she bites down on my lip. Groaning, I move away, gripping the towel and clumsily rising to my feet. I clear my throat as I hold out a hand. "You're all muddy. I'm sorry."
She give a soft smile and lets me tug her up. "That's okay. I'm sure you would've found other ways to get me dirty."
I blush deeply. "Well, I, uhh...delete the video, yeah?"
"If it's that important to you," she chuckles, "But seeing as I need new clothes now..."
I sigh, rubbing my neck. "I-I'm sorry. I can run to the store and-" I freeze as she slips her shirt over her head, her ponytail swaying lightly. She bites her lip. "That's not what I was getting at."
My eyes drink her in as she proceed to shrugging off her shorts, trying everything not to gawk, but I was failing miserably. She stands there with a slight smirk. "Are you going to stand there all day or are we getting into the water to wash up?"
I sigh in relief, watching her bum as she trudges on over, lowering herself into the lake before turning to face me. I stride over but seat myself on the rock. "I already got clean," I muse playfully. "My arms just need a rinse."
She scoffs and crouches so that the water is at her neck. I laugh at her begrudged expression, until I feel something being found at me, slapping my chest. My eyes widen. She wouldn't-
"Then you wouldn't mind putting those out to dry for me," she says mischievously.
I gawk at her, shaking my head. "You really got guts."
Laughing, she sends a splash in my direction. "You're the one not getting in."
My eyes nearly bulge out of my head at her words. Was she calling me a coward?!
"Close your eyes," I scoff and wait until she's looked away to step up onto the rock and drop the towel from my waist. I dive in with a satisfying splash two feet away from her, rising to the surface with a small breath. Serena shoots me a smirk. "That's more like it."
I keep my distance, knowing I was probably blushing like an idiot. She could turn me into a nervous fumbling mess in a matter of seconds. I'm careful not to touch her, despite her standing so close. Her warm scent was intoxicating.
After we've washed off the mud that had dried onto our skin, I feel the air growing brisk and the temperate of the water lowering. "It's going to be night soon," I announce. "We should probably, uh-" I pause as I realize that she doesn't really have any clean clothes to go back home in aside from her underwear and semi clean shorts. She managed to salvage those a bit.
"Do you wanna borrow my shirt?" I ask, not wanting her to have to explain to her dad why hers was covered in mud. Then again, explaining why she had some other person's shirt wouldn't be any easier.
"But then you won't have anything," she objects before I raise an eyebrow, grinning. I duck under the water with my eyes closed, allowing my muscles to relax.
She jumps with a tiny scream when I reappear with the big floppy ears that she gushed about so much. I climb out of the water and bow my head as I nod at my clothes. I had my fur to keep me warm.
Serena smiles. "That's sweet, John, but don't you still have to drive home?" she giggles. "I'll just spend the night. That is if you'll have me."
I send her a smirk and turn around to let her dry off and get dressed. I notice a green glow in the distance, cocking my head to the side. Looks like the fireflies were out.
"Okay, all done," she sighs and I move back over, rubbing my head against her leg. She strokes the top of my head gently. I notice she's chosen my long sleeve and I stare at her curiously.
"I can just put my sweater over it," she chuckles. She leans down and kisses between my eyes. "Thank you."
I whine and she takes in the small lights going in and out around us. "Fireflies," she whispers, staring almost in awe. She must be fond of them.
She smiles bashfully when she realize I'd seen her reaction. "My mom used to tell me if I made a wish on one that it would come true."
I raise a brow, wondering vaguely if it ever worked.
Suddenly, I feel something land on my nose and watch with a whine when the luminescent green flashes for a moment. Serena giggles as I snap my teeth and scare it as it flies away. She kisses where it had just been and cups my muzzle softly. "There," she mutters.
And it's then that I wonder if she made a wish.