With a Little Help From My Friends

Chapter 4

"Wait until you see a game at Anfield, the views are stupendous and the fans are so into it. When they all get up and sing, it gives you chills", said Iker as the charter approached Liverpool airport.

"You'll Never Walk Alone, great song. Dad is a huge British Invasion fan, in the 80's the Soviet regime finally let people listen to the Beatles. Communists were always the lamest people", quipped Ausra.

"My dad said the same thing about East Germany, the Stasi would put people in jail for listening to rock music", said Toni.

"Yugoslavia too, Communists are complete mierda", said Luka, hastily crossing himself.

Karim frowned when he saw the little group, trying to control the jealous feeling growing in him. "Relax, Benz. You guys aren't dating and she's just being friendly, it's good to see her smiling from what you tell us. If you want to be her boyfriend, you'll have to go slowly and be decisive. Somehow I doubt she likes wimpy men", teased Cristiano.

Karim took off his headphones and glared at the Portuguese forward. "I like her a lot, she is a beautiful, intelligent caring woman and a good mother. I want to be her boyfriend, but she is a widow, she is still getting over her husband's death. Her son he wants her to be happy so she will play the drums again, she used toplay when her husband was still alive", he said.

"Then make her happy, Karim. But if you mess up, we will all kick your ass", he warned.

The plane touched down and everyone immediately boarded a bus to the hotel. Typical British weather, Ausra thought, seeing the dense grey clouds and rainsdrops falling on the windows. "It's worse in Manchester, when I moved there to play for United I had never seen so much rain in my life", said Cristiano with a laugh.

While they were checking into the hotel, there was a commotion at the front desk as the team's traveling secretary yelled at the clerk on duty. Idiot, English people don't like yelling, she thought in dismay.

"Senora Moore, I'm afraid the hotel doesn't have a single room available. You will have to share with someone", he said.

"Si, son bueno", she replied.

"She can stay with me, I don't mind", said Gareth.

"Bueno. Senora Moore, va con Senor Bale", he said as the team went to their rooms.

Gareth took their bags to the elevator and pressed the button, ignoring the dirty look Karim shot his way. "I don't like rooming on my own, wherever I played I try to find a Welsh person to room with. Since I'm the only Welshman and you're the only Russian, I thought we ought to be roommates", he joked.

"Da, ya paneymat. Do you speak Welsh?", she asked as they got in the elevator.

"Only a few words here and there, we all had to take Welsh in school but most of us never learned much. Aaron knows Welsh really good, he's a great guy but too bad he plays for the Gunners", he laughed.

Ausra unpacked her Macbook and set it up to charge, plugging in her phne and dialing Anna's number. "Si, the children are fine and they are behaving well, Gazpaza Moore", she said, handing the phone to Alexey.

"Privyet, Mom. Anna made blini with mushrooms and sour cream and we had ice cream", he said happily.

"How nice. How is Zasha?", she asked.

"She's fine, she's going to sleep soon. I can't wait to watch the game, Mom", he said eagerly.

"Be sure to watch the game, a game at Anfield is always fun", she said.

"Karosho, Mom. Dobry vycher?", he said.

"Dobry vycher, uvey deymsya", she said before hanging up.

Ausra saw Gareth was talking on the phone so she unpacked her bag and went into the bathroom, emerging a bit later after changing into a long black and red Paisley skirt and a black blouse. "I was just talking with Emma and Alba, they're excited to see the match. Were you speaking Russian?", he asked.

"Yeah, we speak Russian at home. My son also knows English, French and Swedish, his father is Swedish", she replied.

Gareth nodded and checked his phone for texts. "Bunch of the guys are going to the docks tonigiht, there's a lot of bars and restaurants there. Do you want to come along?", he asked.

"Okay, I've been to Liverpool only once before as a kid so I might as well go. My dad would love being here, he's a big Beatles fan", she said.

"There's a tour where they show all the locations and the Cavern Quarter, it's a recreation of the old Cavern Club. Liverpool was always most fun place to visit when I played for the Spurs, anyplace up North is good, Wales too so my family can see us", said Gareth with a laugh.

"What's the worst place?", she asked.

"Probably Sunderland or Stoke, the fans are rough and there's nothing to do except drink. Plus Stoke fans tend to be Ultras and there's always a couple of arrests at the stadium", he replied.

"The worst places to visit in the NHL were Winnipeg, Tampa, Raleigh and Columbus. None of them had anything to do except drink and in Winnipeg the fans were drunks. Tampa is full of old people, Raleigh has nothing but barbecue places and Columbus has a bunch of drunk frat boys", joked Ausra.

"If I ever visit the states, remind me to avoid thosse places", laughed Gareth.