With a Little Help From My Friends

Chapter 6

Karim was in her office at Anfield checking his phone when she walked in, immediately getting to his feet and scowling. "Why were you flirting with Gerrard, trying to get Liverpool secrets out of him?", he growled.

Ausra glared, standing up to her full height which was just an inch shorter than him. "Excuse me, monsieur Benzema? You are not my father or my boyfriend, do you think I am a whore? You don't know who you are messing with", she hissed.

Karim was taken aback at her anger, seeing how spectacular she looked when angered. She was just a bit shorter than his own 6'2 with her red hair glowing underneath her black kerchief and her green eyes blazing, having the regal bearing of a queen. "Pardon, Ausra. But Gerrard is divorced and he's old, I thought he was putting the moves on you. I don't want my Russian friend to get hurt by a middle-aged Englisman", he chuckled.

"He was just thanking me for escorting his daughter to the family section, she's only three", she said.

"Pardon, Ausra. I have a jealous streak, it's both a French and an Arabic thing", he said apologetically.

"Tres bien, but we are just friends. Why would you be jealous?", she asked.

"Oui, mon ami Russe. I am protective of all my friends", he said.

"That is an admirable trait, but Karim. But don't be sexist, I can protect myself", she said proudly.

I like you more than as a friend, mon reine Russe, he thought ruefully.

Karim was in a good mood as the team left the pitch after winning 2-1, the Anfield crowd booing loudly. "Let them boo, we won. I hope they aren't booing Gerrard, though, he did score their goal", said Sergio.

"They would never boo their captain like that, Sese. He'll probably be off having a pint like all good Scousers", laughed Gareth.

"Lucky we don't have to leave for Manchester till tomorrow, we can go out and celebrate a bit", said Karim.

"And you can try and make moves on Ausra", teased Iker.

Karim tried to control the blush on his cheeks as he gave the captain a look. "She thinks we are just friends, Iker", he retorted.

"Si, but you don't see her as a friend, verdad? Just take it slow but do make a move before another guy beats you to the punch. Be nice to her kids and take it easy, she seems like the mama bear type", said Iker thoughtfully.

"Oui, she is protective of her kids. Her daughter is the same age as Melia, I noticed that first", said Karim.

"Then you should be nice to her kids, Benz. Let's find Ausra and get some drinks", said Iker.

Karim was still in a good mood as the waitress set down their beers, taking a sip as he glanced at her behind the rim of his glass. "Lucky we're in a group, I wouldn't want to face a band of pissed-off Scousers", she laughed.

"Oui, mon ami Russe. Manchester are so crazy too", he replied.

"Too right, northern English are nothing like people down South. We'd have to be careful when we played the northern team, we'd not get drunk in the clubs and stay out of trouble", said Gareth, sipping his whiskey.

"Bale, don't you Welsh drink beer?", teased Sergio.

"Yeah, but my nan was Irish and I inherited a taste for whiskey from her, Sese. It's a Celtic thing", he joked.

"I got good drinking genes too, my mom is Lithuanian and my dad is Russian. But Russians get crazy and depressed when they drink, Celtic people dance and sing. Maybe it's the eight months of winter", she quipped.

Everyone was in a good mood after dinner and another round of beers. "Oi, you want to join us for a round of darts?", asked Steven who was seated at another table with Jamie and Daniel.

"All right, this is our last night in Liverpool anyways", said Iker.

"Too bad, you didn't see any of the Beatles stuff, eh? Maybe next time", said Jamie.

"I'm a Beatles fan and I didn't get to see anything", said Ausra.

"We're in the same group so maybe next time, ma'am. And thank you for helping Lourdes find the family section", said Steven.

"Spasibo, Mr. Gerrard. And you are having a boys' night out, I'll make sure you don't get in trouble", she teased.

The Liverpool guys just laughed as the waitress set down a round of beers. Steven took a sip of his pint and noticed how Karim's gaze followed her every move, his dark eyes intense. He raised his pint and nodded in understanding, looking towards the dartboard. Benzema fancies her and is already warning away other guys, I know what that's like. Lucky for him I'm not interested, he mused.

The groups split into two with Madrid on one side and Liverpool on the other. "Whoever wins the round has to buy drinks", said Steven.

"Si, bueno.", said Iker as the two captains shook hands.

Ausra sipped at her pint and watched as Steven went first, hitting the target just away from the bulls-eye. Iker sized up the distance and carefully aimed the dart as it landed mere centimeters from Steven's. She kept score and frowned when she saw the Madrid guys were behind, only Gareth and Iker being any good. "Let me give it a try", she said.

Karim had been upset that his dart had landed at the far edge of the board, cursing softly in French. He immediately perked up when he saw Ausra substitute for Sergio and pick up the dart, measuring the distance with one eye closed and her tongue sticking out in concentration. She threw the dart and it landd in a bulls-eye as the men looked impressed.

"Benzema, your bird is bloody good", exclaimed Jamie.

Karim took a deep breath and tried to control the jealousy surging through him, knowing Jamie was older and married with kids. "Oui, Carragher", he said coolly.

Jamie and Steven exchanged a look and smiled knowingly, the older Englishmen knowing he was jealous. "We're not going after your bird, Benzema. We're older and I'm married, I don't want the missus after me", he laughed.

Karim felt his cheeks grow hot and was glad Ausra was busy aiming at the dartboard. "Oui, monsieurs. it's a French and an Arabic thing", he said.

"Oi, but you better have make a move before another bloke does. Not all ladies are out to get you", said Steven thoughtfully.

"It looks as though team Madrid won by a point over team Liverpool by a point", said Ausra.