Status: Updates every other Wednesday :) (On short Hiatus!)

Change Your Ticket

007

Parker was the last person I expected to see when I turned around. The football that I had just fetched from a random bag, fell from my hands and my mouth uttered his name in confusion. I hadn’t talked to Parker since our fight a couple nights ago. There was a million things I needed to say to him and yet I couldn’t think of any of them. Parker was standing right in from of me, wearing my jersey, a nervous expression on his face.

I pinched my thigh making sure this wasn’t a dream before taking a few steps towards him. Parker did the same leading the two of us to meet each other halfway. His arms tangled around my waist pulling me towards his body, my head finding its spot below his chin. For a moment it was as if nothing had changed.

“What are you doing here?”

“I wasn’t going to miss your first game. The boys are here too.”

I turned around quickly, forgetting all the extra padding I had on, almost falling to the floor. Without missing a beat, Parker steadied me, placing his hands at the small of my back. I searched the field for the familiar faces and found them lingering on the sidelines, the team not far from them.

“How?”

“We kinda planned it this summer but weren’t sure, so we kept it quiet. Even Ashley is here.”

When I turned around to affirm that Ashley had also made the journey back to old Mass High, I was greeted with several frantic hands waving at me. The boys had spotted me. I didn’t have time to wave back at them before they headed straight for me, Max leading the way. The boys nearly tackled me to the ground when they reached where Parker and I were standing.

“Look at our little Josy,” Jason teased.

“She’s in a real jersey and everything,” Jared said.

“You guys are such assholes. I missed you!”

Our little reunion didn’t last too long. Coach blew his whistle signaling the game would be starting soon. Max and I excused ourselves from the boys and headed on to the field to meet with our team. This was it. It was finally our time to be captains and lead the team to victory. Max did his best to get the boys riled up before the refs were calling us to center field. Max took my hand and the two of us headed over to the fifty yard line to meet the other team’s captains.

We had won the coin toss and decided that we wanted to receive first. The game wasn’t too bad. We weren’t leading with an enormous gap like we were used too, but we weren’t loosing either. I tried my best to focus on the game, trying to get in the zone when it was my turn to step out onto the field but it was rather odd. Every time I looked down the field my eyes landed on Parker. It was weird seeing him stand off to the side with the rest of the boys. The five of them chatting aimlessly while nervously watching the game as bystanders, for the first time in their lives.

By halftime we were ahead by two touchdowns. I followed the rest of the team into the locker room to hear Coach speak, before sneaking back out. Despite being on the team, being in the locker room still felt weird I preferred to spend my time between quarters on the field. Plus, I liked watching our halftime show, at least at the beginning of the season.

“Who knew Jos could kick so well.”

“If we’d known last year she could have replaced you Aaron.”

“Thanks guys,” Aaron said sarcastically.

“Don’t worry Aar, I wouldn’t have done that too you. Though, if you guys had needed a quarterback I would have been all over that.”

Parker shot me his signature smirk while the other boys chorused in proud ‘ooohs.” For the next few minutes I caught up with the boys while I waited for the rest of the team to get back. Most of the conversation was Jason trying to figure what they should do when the game was over. Apparently the boys hadn’t planned that far in advance. Jayden suggested they crash the Homecoming dance but I had better ideas. While the boy’s had been away at school the rest of us had decided that instead of going to homecoming we were just going to go out to eat instead. We didn’t feel the need to go to our senior homecoming, we felt like all that stuff was satisfied last year. The boys liked the idea making our plans set.

* * *


We ended up winning the game kicking off the season with a great start. It was a huge relief for Max and I, we didn’t want to lose especially not with Parker and the other boys watching over us. We needed to reassure them that they left the team in good hands and prove them we did.

The team piled into the locker room to change and head off to the dance. Max and I lingered for a while longer. Clearing out our things since we wouldn’t be back after. Truthfully, the two of us were trying to let our adrenaline rush run its course. Winning the first game was a big deal for the team, but an even bigger deal for us.

I was surprised to find Parker waiting for me when I left the locker room. I figured he would have got a ride to the diner with the rest of the boys. I had missed him so much that seeing him front of me again was strange especially given the fight we had nights before.

“Ashley kinda took my seat in Aaron’s car. Do you mind if I get a ride with you?”

I gestured for him to follow me, the two of us walking to my car in silence. Parker walked beside me, leaving enough distance between us ensuring our hands wouldn’t brush. I watched him from the corner of my eye, he looked tired. I knew the boys all flew in this morning which meant Parker’s flight must have left too early for his liking. He was still wearing my jersey. Unlike when I use to wear his jersey, mine was tight on him, bunching up around his broad shoulders.

The parking lot at the diner was empty aside from our few cars. From where I parked, I could see everyone mingling inside. Despite the emptiness of the diner everyone was squeezing into a booth towards the back. They made sure to leave two spots for Parker and I, at least it looked like it.

“Can we just forget about the last couple of days?” I asked.

“Does that mean you forgive me for being an idiot?”

I laughed, leaning over the center console to kiss Parker. I knew how much I missed him, I didn’t have enough words to describe how much I missed kissing him. It had been a long few weeks without feeling his lips attached to mine. Even if I hadn’t have forgiven him, I would have after this kiss.

“Let’s go celebrate your win Emmerce.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the late update lovelies. I ended up getting sick so I was unable to write on Wednesday. This chapter is a bit of a filler but it gets the job done. Expect the next one to have those cute Josylne/Parker moments we all live for. Keep reading! Thanks lovelies. :)