Intercom

Jamie Hillington

If there was one thing Jamie recognised, it was privately owned destinations. He had seen plenty within his life - some having been owned by his family - so when he and the three other chosen ones were ushered from the plane, he recognised that they had landed on a private landing strip. And after the plane had taken off, leaving them effectively stranded with two hijackers with guns, he recognised that the jet that was at the end of the strip next to a building was a privately owned one. For a moment he feared that one of these hijackers were wealthy and owned this private property but then realised that most hijackers didn't tend to be rich, successful men. They tended to be failures who felt the need to redeem themselves by killing other people - that, and they were complete psychopaths.

They were made to sit on the tarmac while one of the hijackers stood over them with a gun and the other jogged over to a stack of boxes by the building. Jamie watched as the hijacker moved the top one and then opened the one beneath it, grabbing a bag from within. He really didn't want to know what was in that bag. It could only be bad, and although he didn't know exactly why they had been taken off the plane, he knew it couldn't be for any good reason.

Whistling startled Jamie and he looked at the hijacker standing above them. His hands were in his pockets and he was casually whistling, as if there wasn't a gun in the waistband of his trousers. It was so eerie to see him look so normal when Jamie knew that was far from the truth. "And I think to myself, what a wonderful world," the hijacker sung as he whistled the tune to the song.

"Would you shut up?" the other hijacker muttered as he approached where they were sat. "We need to sync our watches."

Jamie looked back at the ground and then looked at the old lady who had seemed to age in the last ten minutes they had been outside. She didn't look like she would survive this ordeal even if there was a chance she could. It made him look away, unable to allow himself to feel sympathy for her. They were all in the same situation, and if it came down to it, he would sacrifice one of the other three in order to survive.

There was a beep which he assumed to have come from their watches before they were nudged to their feet. "No funny business - walk!" one of the hijackers snapped, and they all began to shuffle forward in the direction of the building, led by the other hijacker.

He felt his back be poked with the nozzle of a gun and he moved a bit faster. A verbal warning was not necessary although he would much prefer that to a physical one. What would have happened if the gun had just gone off and shot him in the back? He knew there was no chance of survival but he had to keep some hope that he would be able to escape from the hijackers, after all there was four of them and only two hijackers. It was different on the plane because they were confined but now they had a chance to run, even if the stretch of land they were on had no protection.

A groan caught Jamie's attention but before he could look to see which of the other three had made the noise, the old woman was sprawled on the floor, her face scraping against the tarmac. The girl next to him gasped and went to hurry over to her when he grabbed her wrist, stopping her from making a mistake. The man in front of them turned around, making the rest of them stop.

"What now?" he snapped, looking at his accomplice.

The other man raised his gun and pointed it at the elderly woman. "She's too slow."

"What did you expect? You picked a fucking old biddy! Now either get her to walk or deal with her."

Much to Jamie's horror, the gunman nonchalantly pulled the trigger just as the other man finished talking, shooting the elderly woman in the head. The girl he was holding back let out a horrified scream and the gunman rounded on her. "Shut the fuck up or you're next."

Their walk to the building was uneventful after that, the old woman's body left the on ground behind them. Jamie made sure that he didn't turn around otherwise he might've actually been sick. It was completely different to see the pilot being shot as that was a considerable distance away from him, but that old woman had been shot close enough for flecks of her blood to land on his shoes. He could have sworn he saw inside her head but shook that image out of his mind before it could even form properly. That was certainly not something he wanted to think about, thank you.

When they reached the building, the hijacker in front of them pulled out a key from his pocket and opened the building's door, revealing a vast empty room. It reminded Jamie of a warehouse, and when he caught sight of the jet, he realised that it was where it was probably stored when it wasn't in use. That meant that either the hijackers were planning on using it, or its actual owners had prepared it for use. He didn't know which would be the worst of the two scenarios.

He was forced onto the ground inside the building and he expected the girl to sit beside him, but instead when she went to sit down she was pulled back up and away from him. The other man took her place and they watched as the girl began to cry as she was told to face the wall and press her hands against it. He watched as the bag that one of the men had pulled out of the crates was opened and wiring was pulled out. Fear chilled his spine as he watched as one of the hijackers began to wrap it around the girl's body.

Jamie pissed himself when he came to the sickening realisation that she was being strapped with a bomb.