Intercom

Jamie Hillington

Jamie was not crying. There was no way that he could be crying. The reason his eyes were watered was because of the broken nose. That was it. He did not cry, and he certainly did not cry in public. That was something girls did, and boys that hadn't reached puberty yet.

Charlie was sat next to him, anxiously looking at the man at the front while simultaneously trying to help stop the bleeding. They had lost Joey and Russell in the commotion and for once, he was not okay being away from them. This was really happening and it was worse than any nightmare he had ever had.

"Isn't my colleague so generous?" the man mused, a smirk on his lips. "I get to choose my favourites. You lucky people!"

The taunting tone of his voice made Jamie squeeze his eyes shut. Why did this have to happen to him? Out of all the other flights that had departed from the airport, why did hijackers have to choose this one? He would have preferred to have seen the news about a hijacking and been able to turn the channel over without a care than being held prisoner high up in the air with no escape. Someone else should be in his place, and right now he didn't care who.

Silence made Jamie slowly open his eyes and he looked around to see the hijacker pulling the same girl he had dove for the gun over to her feet. "Here's lucky number one," he proclaimed, making the girl let out a loud sob. "Don't cry, girlie. You're going to help us do something great."

Terror creeped down his spine as the man looked towards where all the men were gathered. Don't be looking for here, don't look here, don't look here. Jamie's stomach dropped when the hijacker looked in his direction. He fumbled for Charlie's arm as the hijacker made his way down the aisle, dragging the girl along with him. The next thing he knew, there was a gun prodding his arm. "Up you get, favourite number two."

Charlie gripped Jamie's hand that was on his arm and stared up at the man. "We have money. His dad will pay, won't he, Jamie? Ple--" His pleading was cut off by the man using the butt of the gun to hit him around the face.

"Shut the fuck up," he snapped, pointing the gun at Jamie. "Now get up."

He definitely was not going to cry, but for some reason he couldn't stop the shaking. He was trying so hard to keep the fear in, but he couldn't stop his hands from shaking. A situation like this had never happened before and he didn't know what to do. Not even his mother being there would have helped the situation, and she was normally the person who could make something better.

The gunman nudged the girl and him towards the front of the plane and made them sit on the floor at the front. They couldn't see what was happening beyond the first row, were right by the hijacker, and were doomed to be victims in whatever it was they were planning. There was bile in his throat that was threatening to rise.

"There are still one or two lucky people among you who will be chosen to help us," the man said, pacing in front of where they were sat. "I'm just nice enough to allow my colleagues to choose themselves. Can't have it all, can I?"

Jamie flinched when a hand touched him and he glanced down to see the girl had placed her hand on his arm, trying to find his hand. And for the first time in his life, he held a girl's hand without any sexual undertone.

Neither of them knew what horrors were waiting for them, but from what they had already seen, he knew they were going to wish they had never woken up.