Insanity’s Raven

Don't Lock Up the Dark

Right now I'm dressed in white pants, which are kind of baggy, a white long sleeve shirt, and no shoes. I was sitting on the white padded floor. The walls were also padded. There was a cot against the wall with a tray attached on the wall for meals. They take me out of my so called “room” for bathroom breaks. They try to keep off the light in my room for the most part because my eyes are light sensitive. I wear special sunglasses that are sitting on my cot. They're white. I really hate white.

If you haven't figure it out, I'm at a mental hospital in America, where in America I have no clue. I've been here since I was six.

I have telepathy, empathy and unbrakinessis. In other words, I can read minds, sense others feelings, which is weird since I'm not a people person, and I can co1ntrol shadows. The doctors think there is something wrong with my brain which there is, but they think they can fix it.

As I said before I've been here since I was six and I'm now seventeen. That's eleven years pushing twelve.

Well here I am sitting on the floor cross legged with my hands in my lap. A strand of my waist-length, long, black hair falls into my amethyst purple eyes. I try to blow it out of my face, but it doesn't work. So I tuck it behind my ear. Then there was a knock on my door which was a cue for me to grab the sunglasses. So even though I am in the middle of my room, I reach over to my right and grab the sunglasses. I put them on before the light goes on and two nurses walk in.

My old nurse was about fifty. She has gray hair that was tied up in a bun and was wearing the stark white nurse's outfit. The new nurse was in her late thirties. Her hair was brown; she had brown eyes and tan skin. She was a Hispanic-white mix. She, too, was in the nurse’s outfit she also had a clipboard.

“This is Raven Blake.” said my old nurse introducing me to my new nurse.

I will not get her name, because the nurses are scared of me.

“She seems very smart. Her file says her IQ is almost 200,” said the new nurse with an accent. “What is with the sunglasses?”

“Her eyes are light sensitive that is why we keep the light off in her room.”

“Do you think he is up to it?” asked the new nurse.

I thought about reading their minds but thought differently. So I sat there listening.

“Yes. We are hoping she will do better with a young male,” said my old nurse.

The new nurse wasn't going to be my nurse. She was only meeting me to make sure my new nurse could handle me.
Both left and turned off the light. I took off my sunglasses. So my doctors think that I will do better with a guy? So far all my nurses have been female and according to Dr. Idiot, as I call him, I haven't improved. I think I have.

I pretend to take the pills they give me. They make my head hurt and feel like I'm going to throw up. But when I first got here, I couldn't block out any thoughts or feelings and the shadows moved with my emotions. As time went by, I learned to block out thoughts and only get the thoughts of one person same with their feelings; I also learned to control my emotions and the shadows.

Dr. Idiot wants my “disabilities” cured and gone. Well guess what? They're not going anywhere.

My old nurse walks in with my food and pills, signaling its noon. She sets it on the tray and leave. She will be back in ten minutes to get it.
I get up and sit on the end of my cot near the tray of food. Today for lunch is rubber steak, mashed potatoes and gravy, with a cup of water, a carton of milk, and three pills. I opened the milk and put the pills in my mouth. While pretending to drink the milk, I spit the pills into it. I ate the mashed potatoes and drank the water. Then I sat back down in the middle of the floor.

I sat there thinking. What did Dr. Idiot have planned with sending me a male nurse? My nurse came in.

“Nurse, can you fetch Dr. Frost?” I asked.

“R...Raven w...why do you want Dr. Frost?” My nurse, who was startled by my voice, asked.

“Do you need a reason Cassie?” I said using her first name.

“H...how...? No, Raven, I don't need a reason. I will get you Dr. Frost.” She said grabbing the tray and leaving.

A while later, Dr. Idiot, aka Dr. Frost, walked in. I was still sitting in the middle of the floor. He sat down in front of me.

“What do you need?” he asked.

“Why a guy?”

“I don't know what you mean.”

“Bullshit! You know bloody well what I mean!”

“Language.”

“Don't care. Tell me why a male nurse.”

“Thought he may help you.”

“How old?”

“He's twenty-one, in college to become a doctor.”

“So he is volunteering here to help you?”

“Yes.”

“Volunteers don't take care of the patients.”

“True, but he asked if he could be your nurse.”

“Why?”

“No idea.”

“You're letting him?”

“Might as well...”

“Because no one wants to be my nurse. However you refuse to let my leave even though when I turn eighteen I can check myself out.”

“Not if the court makes you stay.”

This whole time I was looking at my hands. I lifted my head and stared at him in the face. Dr. Idiot was pushing fifty with tattle tale gray hair and gray eyes to match. He was wearing a blue dress shirt, black dress pants, black boots and a doctor's coat.

“We shall see,” I smirked. “Dr. Idiot.”

“Raven what did I tell you about calling me Dr. Idiot.”

“That I can call you that whenever I want.” I said. “Dr. John Frost 54 married to Jasmine Frost with two kids. A 7 year old boy named Frank and a 5 year old girl named Eva.”

His eyes went wide.

“Why Frank? I’m sure you could pick a better name.” I said

“How did you know?”

“Must you really ask a stupid question?”

“I guess not. Your disabilities aren’t gone after eleven years and I doubt they will be gone when you hit eighteen.” He said with a smile

“All stupidity aside, you do know these “disabilities” aren’t going anywhere right? They are a part of me and I will get out of here.” I said as I raised an eyebrow

He smiled. Oh he knew they weren’t going anywhere that son of a bitch. But he didn’t know I got a better control of my powers.

“Fine if you think I’m going to be stuck in here for the rest of my life then I have some questions that bother the hell out of me.”

“Ok Shoot.”

“Why don’t you people ever tell me your names when I can just figure it out myself?”

“Haven’t you figured it out Raven?”

“Well I thought it was because if I can’t figure out my nurses’ names then that would be meaning I’m cured.”

He smiled. Bloody mother fucking hell I was right. He still has hope that I can be cured, well at least he lives up to his name; Dr. Idiot.

I glared at him. “You are an idiot.”

“Now, now Raven there is no need to call me names.”

“Sure. Whatever you say. Now when will I get to meet this new nurse?”

“Tomorrow.” He said. “Is that all Raven?”

“Yes that’s all you may leave.”

Dr. Idiot got up and walked out leaving me to my dark room and my thoughts. I didn’t know what was going on but there was something and I’ll be damn if I just sit here and pretend there is nothing happening. I will get to the bottom of this. I thought of escaping but thought better of it. I wanted to meet this new nurse of mine. I had a feeling that just maybe he had answers.

My thoughts were interrupted by a knock on the door. Taking my sunglasses from my lap I slipped them back on. The lights in my room turned on and in walked Cassie.

“Raven bathroom break.” She said not looking at me

I got up and stood still as she put those cuffs that prisons use on people. They are the ones that have a chain around my waist; my arms are somewhat to my sides. It has a chain that has cuffs at the end for my ankles resulting in me having to take small, slow steps. Cassie slowly walks me out of my room to the light-filled hallway. We turned to the right, walking down the hallway to the bathrooms.

When we get there she helps me out and after wards she takes a baby wipe and wipes as much of my body as she can without taking the cuffs or my clothes off. Though the nurses and doctors wipe down the inmates they never let us clean ourselves or give us proper showers. So for the eleven years I have been here my hair has never been washed or even brushed properly.

Cassie walks me to the sink, pulling out a tooth brush and tooth paste out of her pocket. She brushes my teeth. After I spit in the sink, she rinses off the brush, caps the paste and puts them in her pocket.

She walks me back to my room. She uncuffs me and runs from the room. I sat back down in my spot in the middle of the floor; the light goes out signaling me to take the damn sunglasses off. I throw them on my so-called bed. I rubbed my eyes; it was so boring in this white, padded room. I lay down on the floor, letting my mind drift. And drift it did but not to what I thought it would. It drifted to my new nurse.

What is he like? What is his name? Why does he want to be my nurse? What is he up too? What is Dr. Idiot up too? With that last thought I felt myself drift to sleep.

There was a girl with shoulder length black hair and strange purple eyes. She just turned six. Today was her birthday; it was just her and her parents that day.

Her mother sat next to her daughter, dressed in jeans and a red blouse. Her waist-length, long, light brown hair up in a bun to keep it out of her dull green eyes. The girl’s father sat across from his wife and daughter. Dressed in black slacks and a button up white dress shirt. With short dark brown hair and cold blue eyes he looked at his wife wanting to tell her about what their so called daughter did earlier that day.

“Mommy, daddy wants to tell you about what I did today.” Said the little girl

“How do you know that Raven?” asked her father

“Well, you just thought it.” Replied the girl

Her mother stared wide-eyed at the girl. She looked to her husband for answers.

“Daddy, Mommy wants answers.”

“David what is Raven talking about?” she asked her husband

“Well, Liz, Raven here can somehow read our minds and...” started David

“And I can play with the shadows!” said Raven happily

Both of the girl’s parents were horrified.

I jerked awake from the dream. I looked around my room and had no idea how long I have been out. I sit back up and notice I was still on the floor. My stomach growls at me. Damn was I hungry but I would just have to deal with it till the next meal, whenever that is.

The door suddenly opened. A guy who was about in his early twenties walked in carrying a tray. He had skater boy red hair. He was dressed in a white male’s nurses uniform.

He set the food down on the tray near the bed. He looks at me; I noted his eyes were like fire, and smiles.

“Hello Raven.” He says with a very thick accent

Irish maybe? I’m not sure but damn he was hot.

“Hello.” I said as I raised an eyebrow at him

“My name is Devlin Durnin.”

Ok? I’m lost.

“What’s going on?” I asked, suspicion filling my voice

“What do you mean?”

“None of my nurses talk to me let alone tell me their names. I know damn well that they told you not to tell me.”

I got up, hands on my hips. And me being me, I dove into his mind.

‘I am here to help. I am here to get you out. Your powers are not fully developed. Trust me.’

I looked into those green emerald eyes of his and raised an eyebrow. He gave me a small smile letting me know he knew I read his mind.

He walked over to me. He was taller then I. maybe six foot.

“Trust me. Trust the fire.” He whispered into my ear before he walked out

Weird. Just Weird.

I looked over at the food. Pancakes, bacon, orange juice, milk and three pills.

I spat the pills into the milk like always then ate the pancakes and bacon. Drinking the last of the OJ I sat the cup down, sat on the bed and waited for the weird nurse to come back.

A few minutes later in he comes. He picks up the tray.

“Devlin? Yes?” I asked

“Yep.”

“Are you from Ireland?”

He laughs. “Yes I am. Just moved to the states a few years ago.”

“Am I your only patient?”

“You are.”

“After you take that tray back can you come back and tell me about Ireland?”

He grins at me. “Of course Rav.”

“Rav?”

“Your new nickname.” He simple says as he walks out

“Rav?” I said again to myself. “I like it.”

Not long after he comes back and sat on the bed with me. I turned to him and sat cross legged. He looked at me smiled.

“So Rav what do you want to know?”

“Everything.” I replied

Devlin started to open his mouth to say something but was interrupted when the door opened revealing my old nurse Cassie.

“Devlin there you are! You need to come with me.” She said

Devlin nodded his head getting up. He gave me a weak smile and walked out following Cassie, shutting the door behind him.
A quick look into Cassie’s mind told me she was pissed that Devlin was talking to me.

I didn’t see Devlin till he brought my dinner. He gave me a small wink and left only to come back ten minutes later to get the tray. He didn’t say a word to me. I wasn’t sure what was going on but I knew one thing boys were fucking confusing.