Status: newp

Top Floor

part one™

I feel the line behind me grow with people. My palms get all sweaty, as I press the same buttons over and over. The ATM refuses to work for me. I need to deposit a few bucks I got tipped with at work. But I have no luck. I sigh, hopeless. I yank back my card and slide back again in the slot. I can’t leave this ATM. My bills are due today! I massage my temples as though I’m getting ready for an Olympic competition. The ATM spits out my card to me and I groan out loud.

“Excuse me, miss,” I hear voices behind me.

“J-just a second,” I stutter.

Then, somebody pulls my arm, forcing me out of the way. The nervous feeling heightens and I squeal like a duck.

“Hey!”

“How about we go inside,” the stranger pulling me suggests calmly.

I frown, as my resistance fade. Who’s this guy?

“Alright, alright. I’ll go.”

We make our way to the bank teller. I exhale all the breath stuck in my lungs.

“Card,” the blond man says.

“What?” I ask him to repeat.

“Card,” he says again, trying to take my debit card from my clammy hands.

“W-wait, what are you doing? Please, give it back,” I try to reach.

“Pin,” he follows.

“Huh?” I frown again, “I’m not giving you my p—”

“Pin,” his bright blue eyes glare and his voice deepens.

I shiver beneath his stare, “3749.”

I mentally slap myself. Why did I blurt it out? Am I that stupid? I only have one bankcard! Now he’ll take the little bit of money I own. He punches in the pin and talks with the confused teller. Geez, Maeve. Way to go. He’s thieving me, right in from of me, and I’m not doing anything. Well, what do you want me to do? Hit him? He won’t even feel it. He’s muscular and tall.

Then I watch him pull a wad of cash from his wallet. My eyes pop open. He hands it over to the teller. I look at him and he looks at me.

“W-what are you doing?” I ask, shyly.

“You don’t have to worry anymore. Everything’s paid off,” he says.

“Why… would you pay… for me?” I hesitantly ask.

The stranger hands me back my bankcard.

“It’s not a problem for me,” he shrugs, walking through the exit.

I feel compelled to follow behind him.

“Um, thank you.”

He spins and faces me. I watch his Adam’s apple as he speaks.

“You don’t have to thank me.”

He quickly nods and walks away. I stand still, trying to replay what just happened in my head, trying to make sense of everything. Who is he?