Status: newp

Top Floor

part four™

This is definitely the tallest building in all of New York. I stretch my eyes to the sky. I can’t even see the top of this skyscraper. Business people surround me, walking on their phones or with their colleagues. I clearly don’t fit in here. Despite it all, I walk inside. I go up to the top floor, like I was advised. It’s open with glass cubicle and rich wood accents against the wall. I see many beautiful women walking around like models. Everybody is dressed in black and white. All of them had the same sleek ponytail. I decide to fix my damp hair in the same manner. I go to one girl sitting by a desk.

“Hi,” I say, “I’m Maeve Eleanor. I’m here to see the CEO.”

She stares at me, prodding her lips in disinterest.

“Do you have an appointment?” she asks.

“S-sort of. I called earlier and someone told me that the CEO’s expecting me.”

My statements keep coming out like uncertain questions. I try to clear my throat.

She starts to type on her Apple computer. As another worker passes by, the girl stops her.

“Hey, do you know anything about a Maeve Eleanor?”

The worker just looks me over with disgust and shakes her head. The girl sitting at the desk just looks at me.

“Sorry. You can leave now,” she says and goes on doing whatever she was doing.

I pout at everyone’s rude behaviours. I take out the card I was given and show the girl, not giving up.

“An employer gave this to me and told me to come here for an interview.”

The girl takes a glance and looks at me a little shocked.

“Where’d you get that?” she pins.

Another tall girl walks to me.

“You must be Maeve,” she says, also disinterested. “Follow me.”

It’s as if they all have a chip on their shoulder. I frown and walk after her. We land to a door on the far side. She abandons me and I stare at the silver plaque letters on the door. CEO Colt Pierce.

I take a deep breath and place my hand on the cold silver handle. I push open the door and my eyes scan the grand office. This’ guy’s office is wide. It’s ten times bigger than my whole apartment complex. And there are only three walls, because the fourth is just one giant seamless piece of glass overlooking the city. The light illuminates the whole office, shading shadows in soft spots. His desk sits in the center in front of the window. I walk to the desk and I watch the profile of the CEO come to my vision as my eyes adjust. My mouth drops open.

“What took you so long?”

It’s impossible to forget that deep harnessing voice. The friendly stranger I’ve come to know… the mysterious man… is the New York’s biggest CEO. God no.

“It’s you,” I say, frowning.

His smirk is as clear as daylight, “So it is.”