Status: newp

Top Floor

part six™

Why am I here? Why am I here? Anywhere but here, Maeve. I tell myself. I’ve been thinking about it for the whole weekend. I’ve been thinking about it, while pouring early morning coffee for the 6am customers at the shop. I’ve been thinking about it, while scrubbing the hotel bathroom floors. I’ve also thought about it, as I sorted out people’s dry-cleaning. I have the opportunity to trade my three dead-end jobs for an amazing one. When a CEO personally asks you to work in his multi-billion business… where do you have the ability to even think of refusing. I’m just afraid, I guess, that it’s all a dream or a hoax. In what world would he even find me employee worthy, let alone his assistant? I haven’t gone to business school. I groan. I’m scared of this risk I’m taking. I take motivational breaths. The worst that can happen is getting fired. But that’s happened plenty of times.

I knock on the door that I have been staring at for hours.
“Come in,” I hear.
I turn the doorknob and enter. I tried my best this morning to look presentable, though I forgot to tie my hair.
“Sorry to bother you,” I say.
Today, he’s not wearing a tie. Instead, a few loose buttons exposes a bit of his chest. I snap myself back to look elsewhere. His lips forms into a small smirk as his blue eyes contact mine. He brushes back his blond locks with his fingers.
“Ah,” he says, “It’s you.”
I playfully copy his famous smirk and recite his lines to him.
“So it is,” I place my hand on my hip.
I then grin at my joke. But his stare freezes me over and I suddenly stand up straight.
“That was sexy,” he says.
My cheeks turn scarlet.
“Uh, um,” I mumble, my shyness taking over, “I came back for the job—that is if it’s still available, sir.”
He stands to his feet and leisurely walk up to me.
“Call me Colt.”
I nod my head, taking a step back.
“And,” he says. He’s standing so close that I can feel his minty breath on my skin. “I need you to make photocopies of the papers on my desk.”
Then he walks out his office, leaving me feeling flustered. I press my hands over my face, trying to regain my sanity.