My Name

My Name

My name is different. It is rare and I and one other are the only ones I know of that are wielders of it. I dread when people ask me what my name is because I know they will ask more than just once. Irritation is always present when I make fool of myself sounding out the syllables so that they will pronounce it right. Yet, that still doesn't stop them from calling me Lindsey, Lacy, and Nancy another time. Telling them that it is like Lacy with an N in the middle usual helps them finally get it.
My name is not a handy me down nor am I named after someone, my parents happened across it by chance. They met a lady named Lancey, though it was spelled different, and they liked the name. The lady's dad had read the name in a book and loved it, so he gave his daughter the name. When it came to my parents deciding on what to name me, it was either going to be Lexie or Lancey. My dad decided on Lancey because it was unique and not very common, and that's the way I like it.
I want to stand out in the world and my name warrants me so. It is unique and rarely heard; I and that lady are the only ones with it as their first name that I've heard of. There is street in New York called De Lancey Street and there are some people in history with the last name De Lancey, but I have heard of no one else with Lancey as their first name. My name suits me well, I like my things to be unique and I think that I am definitely unique myself. My mom says that I’m not like your average teenager just like how Lancey is not an average first name.