Status: see oohyaychicken.tumblr.com for information of its updates

The Truth Is a Terrible Thing

Chapter 1

I step outside and shiver as a gust of cold wind blows by. Having nothing but a hoodie and skinny jeans on outside in 40 degree weather isn’t fun at all. At least the bus stop is half a block away from my house, I guess. I pull my arms out of my sleeves so that they’re inside the hoodie and wrapped around my torso as I walk to it, leaning against the street lamp when I finally do make it there, shivering as I listen to the conversation going on between the only other two people here at the moment.

“So your boyfriend’s transferring to this school today?” a ginger-haired girl asks her black-haired friend. I’m pretty sure his name is Ronnie or some shit like that.

“Yeah, Oli’s his name,” Ronnie answers her with a small smile.

“Nice! How long have you two been together?”

“It’s been almost a week, I think.”

“You think?”

“Mhm.”

I listen in on their conversation a bit more until someone wraps their arms around my waist from behind, scaring me a bit. I unwrap their arms from around me and turn to face them to see my friend Luna smiling at me.

I’ve read a lot of stories and fanfictions online about high school and in ninety nine percent of them had this character that they stereotyped the “slut of the school.” They always had blond hair, a lot of makeup, sleeps with about every boy at the school, et cetera.

That’s basically Luna, to be honest.

“Hey, Josh!” she greets me, gaining Ronnie’s and ginger girl’s attention. Ronnie attempts to discreetly check Luna out as ginger girl scowls and turns away from her completely. It’s funny because she doesn’t even know Luna. She may be what people label “sluts”, but she’s not so bad at all.

“Hey, Luna!” I greet her just as excitedly as the bus rolls up by the curb. Luna and I climb onto the bus and sit at the first empty seat available. She takes out her phone to play some sort of game on it while I stare out the window, letting my imagination free to make this bus ride more amusing.

I imagine that there’s a unicorn standing outside the bus with a gorgeous man riding its back, flowing chestnut hair blowing in the breeze dramatically. His gaze averts to meet mine as he winks and I smirk. I imagine that he’s about to say something to me, but the bus starts moving. The guy notices and sends his unicorn galloping alongside of the bus. As he does this, he starts to sing to me in Rick Astley’s voice,

“We’re no strangers to love, you know the rules and so do I! A full commitment’s what I’m thinking of. You wouldn’t get this from any other guy!”

“Josh?” Luna’s concerned voice pulls me away from my daydreams, and I disappointedly turn to look at her.

“You just had to ruin the moment, didn’t you?” I ask her with a pout. She raises an eyebrow at me.

Right…” she drags out like she usually does when she’s wondering what the fuck’s wrong with me. She turns back to her game as the bus reaches another stop. I look out the window and see the same group of kids, plus another one standing awkwardly towards the back of the cluster. They have their hoodie pulled over their bowed head, earplugs in. The kid follows the rest of the group onto the bus.

“Oli!” I hear that Ronnie guy’s voice call out a few seats behind me, gaining the kid’s attention. He looks up from the ground towards the voice and holy fucking cheese doodles he’s hot! Oli smiles and his eyes light up when he makes eye contact with Ronnie and makes his way over to him. I hear Oli drop down on the seat with Ronnie as I look to Luna, who looks to me as I do to her.

“Guess who’s at the top of my to do list,” she asks me with a smirk. I chuckle and roll my eyes at my friend playfully.

“Still me?” I ask sarcastically. It’s her turn to roll her eyes now.

“No, you made it clear that you weren’t gonna let me get in your pants months ago when we became friends,” she tells me.

That’s a story for another time, though.

“He’s got a boyfriend anyway,” I tell her.

“There’s only minutes before I drop you off.”

I groan and roll my eyes at her The 1975 reference. She laughs at my reaction before turning back to her game while I turn back to the window. I imagine the unicorn and the guy again, except the guy is now Oli. Hmm.

Oli on a unicorn is quite a peculiar sight...
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter was pretty bad, lol. It was kinda rushed through, I literally wrote it in a few minutes and I'm tired as fuck...
I've written like nine other stories and one of them wasn't a high school au and this is the only one that doesn't necessarily have a trigger warning. idk, there might be one in later chapters but it won't be too big, we'll see.
I'm not a thousand percent sure where I'm going with this fic because a friend gave me a small random idea for it and said she'd help me but she's not helping much ;-; This one might end up being pretty short or even discontinued, I don't know yet.
Well, thanks for giving my fic a chance! I hope you enjoy what I come up with!