‹ Prequel: Indigo Soul
Status: Active, Please be Kind <3

Demon Eyes

Chapter One Krissi

Chapter One
Krissi

It was raining again for the millionth time this month. Ok maybe I’m exaggerating, but only because it rains here A LOT. It isn’t so much that I miss seeing the sun during the day. But more that I miss seeing the moon at night. And the stars. For as long as I could remember I’ve had an affinity with the moon. At least as far as I knew that was what my rare connection was called. However the rain was not my focus at this point.

My focus was on the spared of Taro cards in front of me. The nervous sophomore student who I was sure had heard all about how I was a “witch” and could predict the future. Normally people come to me for love readings. They want to know if things will work out with their crush before asking them out. The girls ask boys dance was coming up and a lot of the girls were cornering me to give them readings.

My eyes fixed on the two of cups that crossed over the ten of cups. And was surrounded by the nine of cups, the ten of pentacles and the six of cups. The girl bit her lip leaning forwards as she looked from the cards to me and back again.
“Well?”

I smiled at her.
“Looks good, I think Jonah would love to go to the dance with you. He’s probably waiting by your locker right now, wondering why you haven’t asked him”.
Her face lit up and she slid me the dollar I requested in payment. It was the one way I had to make money since my parents weren’t exactly supportive of what makes me different form everyone else. If they had their way I’d been a cheerleader, with a football player boyfriend and I’d turn my nose up at anything mystical or magical. But that just wasn’t me. I slid the dollar back to her and she gaped.

“This one’s on the house, have fun at the dance”.
She beamed at me taking the dollar and tucking it in her pocket before rushing off to find her crush. I gathered up my cards wrapping them in the silk purple cloth and put them in the box I kept them in. tucking my cards back in my bag. Slinging my messenger bag over my shoulder I made my way from the library. The bell rang signaling the end of the school day. I drew my hood before stepping outside.

Because of my interest and the fact that I was a “witch” I didn’t have any friends. I wasn’t the kind of girl who stood out or got noticed unless someone needed something from me. I suppose saying I was an outcast would be an understatement. Some people were accepting of my talents when it was useful to them. But for the most part everyone went out of their way to mock me for believing as I do and because of my card talents. As I stepped out into the crisp October rain I shoved my hands deep in my pockets and continued down the path.

I didn’t like going home at the end of the day. My parents were very strict and very catholic. If they got word that I was using tarot cards and everyone thought I was a witch. I’d be in serious trouble. I ran down the street and caught the bus across town. Rummaging in my bag I pulled out the gold cross that my parents insisted I wear and put it on. Then I grabbed my purity ring and slipped it back on my finger. I looked up and down the bus before getting up and making my way to the bathroom. I changed out of my Iron Maiden t-shirt and torn jeans. Buttoning up the formal white blouse I had left the house in and adding the black pleaded skirt that stopped just under my knees. I pulled on my flats and gave myself I look over in the mirror.

I took the makeup remover out of my bag and began removing the thick amounts of black eyeliner around my eyes and the cheery red lip gloss that I loved so much. Once I finished erasing any evidence that I was a teenager like any other I grabbed my bag and made my way back to my seat. The bus arrived on my street and I stepped off. It stopped raining. My street is like something out of a 1950’s TV show. All the houses look exactly the same. A quite little suburb.

But this street, and the people who live on it are anything but perfect. My neighbor is a high ranking business man who’s leading a double life. He leaves his wife and kids for “business trips” more times than I can count. The woman who lives across from us, I’m pretty sure she runs an escort business judging by the kind of girls I see coming and going at all hours of the night. And the woman on the other side of us, well she’s not very nice to anyone. No matter how many times people smile and say good morning to her, she scowls at them and goes back inside after getting her newspaper or mail.

I dashed up the steps and made my way inside. The familiar smell of chicken in the air. Mom was making her specialty which meant the pastor was coming over for dinner. I groaned inwardly at the thought and hung my jacket up on the coat hook.

“I’m home!”
I called out as I kicked off my flats and put on my slipper boots I kept by the door. I walked into the main hall able to see into the kitchen from my place by the stairs. My mom was an older woman, in her late 50’s her graying hair pulled up in a bun. She was short and plump. Wearing a cross around her neck like mine. Her apron around her waist, she was wearing a flower print dress and as she turned to me she didn’t miss a beat picking the bible up from the counter and shoving it into my arms.

“Good, now you can do bible study until dinner”.
I groaned inwardly but didn’t make any sudden moves. Since school didn’t teach bible study, I had to do hours of it when I got home. Before my actual school work. I made my way upstairs muttering to myself once I was in my room. I stashed my makeup kit and tarot cards in the loose floorboard of my room then I walked over to the desk and set the bible down. Grabbing the note book with the arch angel Michael on the cover I picked up where I left off making the notes I needed to make.

Hours passed before there was a knock on my door. I turned myself towards the door as it opened and my father peeked in fresh home from work. He was wearing his business suite, his hair slicked back like always.

“Time for dinner”.
He said without as much as a smile at me. I turned back to my bible studies and closed both books bringing the bible downstairs again. I put it back where mom liked it to be. Then I made my way into the dining room. The pastor and his wife were seated at the table along with their too perfect daughter. Kenzie. Thankfully I didn’t go to the same school as her. She was the model teenager. Someone everyone at the church wanted their children to be like. But I knew it was all an act. I had seen how awful Kenzie really was first hand.

“Krissi, How are you?”
Kenzie beamed hugging me and giving a fake smile like we were BFF’s. I rolled my eyes sitting down at the table. Mom came into the room with the food while dad was seated at the head of the table like always.

“That smells great Ella”
The Pastor’s wife smiled at mom who returned the smile grateful to receive praise for her work. The night was full of religious talk and condescending “You should be more like Kenzie” scolding as if being myself wasn’t enough. I wasn’t good enough on my own. How could they even know that? They didn’t know me in the slightest. I helped clear the table and put the leftovers away. I did the dishes and then made my way back into the living room. Dad was reading the paper while mom was knitting.

“I’m going to bed”.
I announced before turning to the stairs and starting up. As I was on my way up the steps I heard the doorbell ring. I assumed the Pastor forgot something and continued up the stairs. I changed into my PJ’s, a pair of purple pj pants and a soft pink v neck t-shirt. As I threw back the blankets I heard a scream from downstairs that shook me to my core. I ran downstairs without thinking in time to see my mother on the floor with my father. He was dead. Mom cradling him as she sobbed.

“What happened?”
I cried running to them. Her eyes narrowed at me.
“Stay away! You brought this on our house! You did this to us!”
I gaped at her not knowing what she was talking about. Footsteps approaching from behind me caused me to turn and face the man who stood there grinning at me.

“Did you really think you could hide from us?”
I shook my head lightly making sure to keep mom blocked off.
“I don’t know who you are or what you’re talking about! Mom call the cops”.
I said over my shoulder, the guy laughed as he approached wiping the blood from his sword.
“She’s not calling anyone”.
That was when I felt it from behind me. Mom grabbed me holding me still while the man came down on me with his sword.
“Mom! What are you doing?”
I screamed suddenly feeling the sword drive through my shoulder. I screamed in pain as she held me in place.
“Take her back to hell! She’s been nothing but trouble to us from day one!”

I looked back at her.
“What are you saying? Mom!”
The man smirked ripping his sword from my shoulder.
“She’s avenging her husband. If it wasn’t for you he’d still be alive. She understands you’re the real problem here and soon, you won’t be a problem for either of us”.
He swung at me again and this time I pulled free from my mother’s grasp falling to the ground. The sword making the sound of slicing through something or someone. I looked back over my shoulder seeing he had sliced her clean in two. My stomach lurched as I felt the need to vomit. Pushing myself backwards I looked at him. He smirked at me wiping his sword clean again.
“I was going to kill her anyway”.

“RUN!”
A voice screamed within me. Suddenly I was no longer paralyzed in fear. I kicked him hard in his knee taking him off his feet. Springing to my feet I threw the door open running hard and fast not sure where I was going. My chest burned and my heart ached as I ran, tears rolling down my cheeks. I ran back towards the city, the rain soaking me and making my slipper boots soggy but I kept running. As I rounded a corner the man appeared standing in the middle of the street grinning at me as he charged.

I gaped at him expecting to die here and now. That was when I felt it. The gust of energy and arms wrapping around me. I felt my body fall forwards my head resting against his chest. I lifted my eyes to meet his, beautiful sapphire blue orbs looking down on me. His hand grazed my cheek and my eyes closed as I slipped into a deep sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
<3