‹ Prequel: Enough for Now
Sequel: Little White Lies

We Are Stars

Beautiful.

“Hey, Jack?”

“Hmm?”

“Do you ever think about stars?”

The night was silent except for the sound of twittering crickets and the occasional whistling train in the distance. The rocky, twig-laden ground was digging into Eli’s back through the thin blanket they had laid down over an hour ago but he barely noticed. The evening air was almost as warm as Jacks’ bare chest that he was laying on and the night sky was alight with twinkling stars.

“Stars?”

“Yeah. What do you think they mean?”

“I don’t know. They’re just stars, Eli.”

“My grandma always told me that stars were our loved ones looking down on us. But that just seems crazy. There are so many stars up there, and so few of us down here. Don’t you think?”

Jack sat up with a giant yawning stretch and turned to look down at the black-haired boy lying down on the ground. Eli’s blue eyes were staring up at the night sky, his pale skin luminescent in the moonlight.

“What on earth are you talking about, Eli?”

“I think that we are stars. That’s why they’re up there. To remind us that we are like them; boundless, endless, that we can achieve anything, that we can last forever.”

Eli finally turned his crystalline gaze to look into Jack’s amber eyes, a small smile twisting his perfect pink lips.

“Don’t you think, Jack?”

Jack rolled his eyes and scoffed.

“No, I don’t. They’re stars, ‘Lijah. Balls of gas. Did I screw you so hard that the sex scrambled your brain or something?”

“Oh, shut up, J. I just want to be as beautiful as a star. Is that so wrong?”

His bottom lip jutted out into a little pout that made Jack sigh.

“Yes. Because you already are beautiful. Okay?”

“Yeah?” Eli grinned, voice going up at the end with a happy little tone.

“Yeah.”

“Yay! Can I have a little kiss?”

Jack chuckled, shaking his head.

“Of course you can, crazy boy.”

Eli’s laugh drifted away on a light summer breeze.
♠ ♠ ♠
I loved writing this! Turned out super cute and happy.