Sky Full of Stars

10

The massive hangover is an unwelcome surprise.

Calista's usual drink of choice is wine and that never gives her a hangover no matter how much she drinks, but the multiple shots of Fireball she'd done with Dillon on top of the whiskey sours she drank had done a number on her body and when she wakes up the next morning, she feels like complete shit. Her head is pounding, her stomach feels queasy, and the sour taste in her mouth is only making everything worse.

She hauls herself out of bed and pulls on the first tee shirt she comes across in her closet before stumbling into the bathroom to brush her teeth. Once her mouth doesn't taste so terrible, she meanders her way into the kitchen for some tylenol and then she puts on a pot of coffee. She slides into one of the chairs at the bar while she waits and rests her forehead against the cool granite surface. Before the coffee is even finished, the loud knocking on her door begins and she lets out a groan as she drags herself out of her chair and across the hard wood floors to open it.

Jamie only chuckles at the murderous look she gives him before going back into her kitchen to retrieve a mug from the cupboard and he follows her in, shutting the door behind him as he walks over to take the seat she had been sitting in.

"Shouldn't you be at morning skate?" she grumbles as she grabs the fresh pot of coffee to pour herself a cup.

"I was just on my way out and thought I'd come check on you."

Calista has a minor panic attack on the inside as she sets the pot back into the coffeemaker, wondering what exactly he knows about what happened the night before. She turns her back to him to grab the sugar from the cupboard behind her in order to avoid her face giving anything away, but before she gathers the courage to actually say something, he continues.

"Tyler texted me last night to let me know he drove you home. He said you were pretty drunk."

"Oh," she says in relief, breathing out a laugh. "Yeah, you know Dillon goes hard. I wasn't prepared, I guess."

"I think he's regretting it today too. Eaks is over at his apartment now trying to actually drag him out of bed."

"Good. I'm glad I'm not suffering alone."

Jamie grins as he leans up to reach her coffee mug where it's sitting on the counter between them and he takes a huge sip of it before he gives it back. "Lunch today?"

"Doubt it," she replies, thinking back to the night before. She can't sit at the same table with Jordie after everything that just happened between them and she definitely can't sit at the same table with him and Tyler. She's pretty sure he has some idea about what happened between her and Jordie and she knows he'd just be watching her intently the entire time. The thought alone is enough to make her squirm. "I'm checking my work emails, finishing a web page design, then going right back to bed for a nap. I'm way too hungover. Why'd you let me drink so much?"

"Hey, don't blame me," he says, holding his hands up in defense. "I'm only responsible for the first drink. After that, it's all Dilly."

"I'm officially mad at him."

"Yeah, that'll last about an hour," Jamie laughs, rolling his eyes.

"It's not my fault! He's so ridiculous, I can't stay mad at him long."

"I know, I know," he says sarcastically, sliding off of his chair. "Alright, I'm out. Text me if you change your mind."

"Mhmm," she nods, letting him pull her into his side to plant a kiss on the top of her head. "I'll see you later."

As soon as he heads out for his practice, she takes her coffee down the hall to her bedroom and plops down on her stomach across her unmade bed, pulling her laptop over from the bedside table where it had been charging all night. She does exactly what she told Jamie she'd be doing. First, she checks her work emails and responds to every single one then gets busy on the web page she's been designing for the past week or so. There's still a lot of work to be done on it but she does about three hours' worth before saving her progress and closing her laptop again. Her bedroom is brightly lit thanks to the early afternoon sun but she rolls over onto her side with her back facing the windows and once she pulls her duvet up over her body, she has no trouble drifting off back to sleep.

It's the loud, annoying ring tone blaring right in her face that jars her from her slumber about two hours later. Jamie's stupid picture grins back at her from the screen and she glares at it as she slides her finger across to answer it.

"I'm still hungover and you just woke me up."

"That's what you get for getting wasted last night," he says smugly.

"Fuck you."

Jamie laughs but she barely even registers it thanks to the voice she can hear in the background. Suddenly, she feels like she's going to be sick again. She sits up abruptly in her bed, her hand covering her mouth, but thankfully the feeling subsides after a few calming breaths. She's definitely going to have to get over that, and soon, if she doesn't want anyone finding out. She can't avoid Jordie forever.

"So, can you do me a favor?"

"That depends," she replies hesitantly, already dreading what she doesn't even know Jamie's going to ask.

"Tyler usually catches a ride with Jord and me but Coach just called and wants us at the rink early so we're going now. Tyler's taking his pre-game nap and I don't wanna wake him up to tell him so could you maybe do it for me later?"

"What, you want me to wait until nap time is over and go up to his apartment to tell him he has to drive himself to the rink tonight?"

"Could you?"

"You're ridiculous," she laughs. "But sure I will, just for you."

"You're a doll."

"Yes, I am. See you tonight."

Calista crawls out of her bed for the second time of the day and heads back to the kitchen to eat some ramen noodles since she slept through lunch and is now starving. It's already after three so she eats quickly before rushing to the bathroom to take a quick shower. Once she's dried her hair, applied her makeup, and gotten dressed in some jeans and her Jamie jersey, she slips her feet into some ankle booties and grabs her phone, shoving it into her black leather bag before she leaves the apartment, locking the door behind her. She takes the elevator up to Tyler's floor, trying not to dread seeing him too much because, after all, he did kind of save her the night before. She at least has to thank him for getting her home safely.

She knocks on his door and stands back to wait but it's only about six mississippis before it swings open and her brain has to take an extra moment to catch up with what her eyes are taking in. She hasn't seen him shirtless since the year they won the Cup in Boston and back then he was a little bit skinnier, less built, and a lot less tattooed so it's a bit of a shock to the system how good he looks now. Thankfully, he's too busy trying to pull on his white button up shirt so he doesn't catch her staring.

"Calista, hey. What're you doing here?"

Tyler turns to walk back further into his apartment, buttoning his shirt up as he goes and she follows him in, but only just enough to shut the door behind her. "Oh, um, just delivering a message from Jamie." He pauses to turn back to look at her and she realizes after a moment of awkward silence that he's waiting for her to actually relay the message. "Oh, right. Yeah. He and Jordie had to go to the rink early and he didn't want to disturb your nap so he asked me to let you know you're on your own for the drive to the arena."

"Alright," he says with a nod. "Uh, thanks."

"Unless you just want to catch a ride with me?" she blurts out and then mentally curses herself. Where the hell did that come from? she thinks. Just because he brought her home from the bar doesn't mean she owes him anything, especially when she's making a conscious effort not to be too nice to him, but it's too late to retract the offer now.

By the look on his face, Tyler's pretty surprised too. "Uh, yeah sure, that'd be great."

"Are you ready to go now?"

"Yep. Just let me go grab my jacket."

He heads off up the stairs presumably to his bedroom to retrieve his jacket and she crosses her arms over her chest, awkwardly standing there looking around at his apartment and wondering to herself what the fuck she just did. Tyler returns a few moments later, his suit jacket slung over his arm and his keys in his hand and he checks the expensive silver watch on his wrist as he walks back through his living room. A huge chocolate lab appears out of nowhere from the kitchen and Tyler stops to crouch down and talk to the dog as he scratches his ears. After a few moments, he eventually returns back to the foyer where Calista is waiting, and she's trying really hard to not find it endearing that he baby talks his giant dog.

As soon as they walk into the elevator, it gets awkward. Memories of the night before flood her brain and she decides it's probably better to just pretend none of it even happened than to bring it up again now. When they reach the garage, he silently follows her to her car and climbs into the passenger seat while she slides in on the driver's side. She turns the music up a little as soon as she starts the car, not so loud that they can't talk over it if the need arises but loud enough that there isn't so much awkward silence. He keeps glancing over at her but she elects to ignore it for now, instead focusing on not crashing her car and just ending her misery now.

"Hey, isn't this a One Direction song?" he asks out of the blue.

"Huh?" she says automatically, snapping out of her daze, and when she listens closer to the song that's playing, she realizes he is in fact correct. That little fact delights her greatly and she cracks a smile as she glances over at him. "It's amusing that you know that."

"Uhh, I do have two younger sisters."

"Sure, sure. Blame it on your sisters," she teases, shaking her head. "Yeah, this is just a cover of it that we used in one of my classes. Actually this whole cd is songs we've used in my classes."

"Oh, yeah?" That piques his interest for some reason and he leans forward to reach for the radio, but pauses first, finger hovering over the button as he looks back at her. "You mind?"

"No, go ahead."

Tyler hits the skip button and the next song begins to play immediately, his face lighting up into a grin when he recognizes it. He listens to the first verse and the chorus, even singing along a little bit before he turns it to the next one. Calista doesn't mention how amusing this is to her that he knows every single song he comes to, and how it's even more amusing that he knows the words and actually sings along with them. Him singing along to a Baby Bash song is probably the highlight of her week and she only wishes she could sneakily record him with her phone so she can have another laugh about it later.

"Shit, this is old!" he says excitedly when he comes across the Juvenile song. "I used to love this one."

"It's Fifi's favorite song for some godawful reason. Of course she had to have a dance for it."

"Every song about ass has to have a good dance for it."

Calista laughs. "Yeah, I think she would agree with you on that."

He changes the song again and when he doesn't know the next one right away, he sits back in his seat to listen, but after about fifteen seconds, he looks over at her and he just never stops. She's got her eyes on the road in front of her but she can feel him staring at the side of her face, and when she finally glances over at him, he's got slightly widened eyes and raised brows. "What?" she asks, reaching over to turn the volume down a few notches.

"You have a dance....for this song."

"Yeah?"

"Well then," he says, exhaling heavily. "Maybe you could show me sometime."

"Yeah, right," she laughs, but when she glances over at him again, there's a stupid smirk on his face and she realizes he's actually serious. "That will definitely never happen."

"Why not?"

She ignores his question altogether. "I think there's some old videos still deeply buried somewhere on youtube if you're that desperate."

He's never going to actually go waste his time looking for them so she feels safe saying it just to appease him a little bit. "Not quite as good as in person," he says, but when she shakes her head and doesn't respond, the subject is dropped.

A moment later, Calista reaches up to hit the skip button and Tyler only smirks as the next song begins to play.
♠ ♠ ♠
Alright, here we go, guys! So.... some progress was made sort of in this one. What did you guys think?? Please feel free to share right here!!

And here are the songs that were mentioned during the car ride in this chapter: one, two, three, and four!

P.S. I wrote a little Sid Crosby one shot for Independence Day, so you can check that out right here if you're interested :)

And, as always, the story extras are here on my tumblr so check all that out as well!