Sky Full of Stars

12

Going from three people to four on Friday night hang outs at Calista's apartment is definitely an adjustment. During the previous season, it had always been her, Jamie, and Jordie. This season, it's mostly been her, Jamie, and Tyler, because things with Jordie have been so all over the place, but tonight all three of them have shown up. Jordie acts completely normal, as if the last conversation they had never happened, and Calista really isn't sure what to make of it.

He and Tyler are carrying enough alcohol for a small country while Jamie has an armful of pizzas and since they're all later than usual, they're starving by the time they arrive so they want to eat immediately. They know her house rules so they all take seats at the kitchen bar to eat while she passes their beers out to them before retrieving a glass to pour herself some wine. She takes the last empty seat at the bar to eat her two slices before handing over the rest of it to the guys and they completely demolish it, along with their own.

The conversation is a little lacking and the only one who doesn't seem to notice it is Jamie. Calista and Jordie don't really talk directly to each other and neither do Calista and Tyler, but luckily Jamie is talking to everyone at the same time and it provides enough relief that there isn't too much awkward silence or tension. Calista gets up from her seat to put her plate into the dishwasher and then Tyler's and she can feel him and Jordie staring at her the whole time, even as she refills her wine glass and takes a long drink from it.

Jamie finishes eating last and he hands Calista his plate before going over to the living room, Tyler lagging a few moments behind him, but Jordie stays where he is in the third seat at the bar, just watching as she puts the rest of the plates in and starts the dishwasher. She waits for him to say something but he never does so as soon as she's finished with the dishes, she tops off her wine glass and heads over to the others, turning off the kitchen lights on her way.

"Move your ass," she tells Jamie when she reaches the living room because he's made himself pretty comfortable, taking up the entire length of the sofa.

"But I'm so comfy," he protests, stretching out a little more.

"Jaaaaamie, moooooove."

"You're such a baby," he scoffs, but he sits up to make room for her anyway. "I don't know why I put up with you."

She laughs as she plops down in the vacant space and pats his cheek affectionately. "Face it, Benny. You'd be utterly lost without me."

"I would," he agrees earnestly and, just like that, things have suddenly become too serious. Calista doesn't do serious with Jamie because it's just too painful for both of them so she does the only thing she can in a situation like this one: change the subject.

"So what are we watching tonight, boys?"

Tyler watches her set her glass down and get up from the sofa to go over and pull out a bunch of movies from her collection. He glances between her and Jamie, trying to process that weird little moment he's just witnessed and wondering what the hell it was all about. Jamie suggests looking for something on netflix since he's not in the mood to watch any of her dvds (mostly rom coms and family movies) so she just grabs the Wii remote instead before returning to her seat, now between Jamie and Jordie. They take turns scrolling through practically the entire library before Jamie finally settles on Goon and hits play and they all slouch down in their seats, getting more comfortable for the movie.

"Your mustache is disgusting," Calista says out of the blue, looking over at Jamie as the opening credits are rolling.

"Fuck you," he retorts with a laugh. "It's not disgusting."

"Um, yeah it is."

"Well, I'm not the only one who has one," he points out because he's not about to be the only one to get made fun of. If he goes down, he's taking them with him. "Seggy and Jord have them too."

"But at least they have some beard scruff to go along with theirs. You just have that 70s porn star look goin' on."

Jamie shrugs. "Month's only halfway over so you'll have to get used to it."

"Unless I break into your apartment and shave it while you're asleep."

"Don't be such a brat," he laughs. "I don't fuss when you don't shave your legs and rub 'em up against mine all the time."

"Your legs are already ridiculously hairy so what the hell does it even matter if I shave mine or not?" She casually props her feet up on the coffee table in front of her, relieved to see that she did in fact remember to shave her legs this morning. "Besides, I can wear jeans and cover mine up. There's no hiding that caterpillar on your lip."

"Shut up and watch the movie."

Calista laughs as she leans up to grab her glass from the table and she she settles herself into Jamie's side, taking a moment to reach up and lovingly poke his cheek before she finally turns her attention to the television screen.

-

Tyler's never been the heaviest sleeper so the sound of a soft snore is all it takes to stir him. His eyes flutter open, taking in his surroundings for a moment before he realizes he's still at Calista's apartment and it's probably now extremely late. The room is dark except for the stark white glow of the television screen and when he looks over at the sofa, he sees that everyone else is still there too. Jamie's splayed out across one end, his oversize body hanging halfway off the cushions, and he's the source of the sound. Jordie's slouched down on the other end, head leaned back and long legs stretched out under the coffee table. Calista's somehow ended up buried in his side, her legs curled up under her body and her arm thrown around his waist.

A pang of jealousy stabs him in the gut but he doesn't know why. He only just met her two months ago and he still doesn't feel like he really knows her all that well. Even still, she isn't the slightest bit interested in him, and that's obvious. Every other girl he's ever met fawned over the tattoos and the muscles sculpted from years of hockey, but she had barely even batted an eye. Maybe she's just used to having guys like him around all the time, but it doesn't stop his ego from taking a little bit of a hit.

Jamie's snores grow progressively louder and it isn't until Jordie starts to stir that Tyler realizes he's been staring. He quickly drops his head back to the decorative pillow he'd been using and tries to keep still so that he looks asleep but he doesn't shut his eyes, instead watching from his chair. Jordie lifts his head and looks around, blinking his eyes to adjust to the harsh glow of the television, before he glances down at the girl curled up next to him and smiles.

He gently shakes her shoulder and when she gives a sleepy hum of acknowledgment, he mutters something that makes her chuckle. She lifts her head, but only to glance over at Tyler and then Jamie before she once again rests it on Jordie's chest and closes her eyes. They talk lowly back and forth for a few minutes and Tyler can't help but think about how they definitely don't look like just friends, despite the fact that she's worked so hard to maintain the impression that that's all they are. Even though she admitted to Tyler that she had liked Jordie in the past, she never said that anything had actually happened between them so as far as everyone knows, they are and always have been just friends. But Tyler can't recall a time when he's ever been cuddled up like that with a girl who's just a friend and he's certainly never stroked his fingertips up and down a friend's arm the way Jordie is.

That's when it happens. Calista mumbles something and Jordie sighs heavily as he drops his hand from her arm. She sits up from her position against his side so that she can look at him properly and they're both frowning while she speaks softly.

"I'll just go then," he says, loud enough that Tyler can hear him but not loud enough that it stirs Jamie.

He quickly stands to his feet but she reaches out to grab his hand before he can go anywhere. "Jord, don't please," she begs quietly.

"I'll see you later," is all Jordie says before he shakes her off and heads for the door.

Calista watches him go with a sad expression but once he's out the door, she finally looks away to make sure the noise hadn't woken anyone else and Tyler doesn't realize he's been staring again until her eyes meet his. She looks scared, like she's been caught doing something wrong, but Tyler can't tear his eyes away from hers so he just waits until she breaks the eye contact. She drops her head down onto the pillow Jordie had been leaning against and closes her eyes, praying that maybe he was half asleep and won't remember anything in the morning.

-

Jamie is the first one awake but he's never been the most delicate person so when he tries to move around and stretch a little, he ends up bumping against her legs and jarring her awake. Annoyed that she's been woken up, she gives him a little kick but he just laughs and calls her a brat but the sound of them talking at normal volume is enough to rouse Tyler from his sleep too. He sits up in the oversize chair, rubbing his eyes before he looks around to survey his surroundings. Calista very carefully avoids his eyes but she can feel his on her and she knows that he definitely didn't forget what he saw. And of course, it's just like Jamie to bring it up.

"Hey, where's Jord?"

"I-"

"He left in the middle of the night," Tyler interrupts, answering for her. "I woke up when he shut the door. Guess he just couldn't sleep on that tiny couch with you two."

Jamie shrugs and stretches his neck before reaching back to rub his shoulder. "Maybe he had the right idea. This couch sucks for sleeping."

"Hey, don't insult the couch," she retorts playfully as she tugs her cardigan tighter to her body. "It's not its fault you all are so giant and can't fit on it like normal people."

"Well, I was pretty comfortable," Tyler adds.

"Of course you were. That's a two person chair."

Tyler grins at her. "You were more than welcome to come join me over here."

"Dude," Jamie warns while Calista just rolls her eyes and gets up to go into the kitchen to make some coffee. She pours all three of them a cup then adds some sugar and milk to hers before she makes her way back over to the living room to hand them their cups. Silence settles over them as they all sip their coffees but Jamie finishes his way before the others and he sets his cup down on the coffee table as he gets up to go down the hall to the bathroom.

Calista knows now is the time if she's going to say anything, but a small part of her is still holding on to that completely ridiculous wish that he has no idea about her and Jordie. She glances over at him a couple of times, but he's just sitting there holding his cup close to his chest and looking out the windows directly across the room from him.

"Please don't tell Jamie."

"What?"

She glances over her shoulder toward the hallway before she looks back at Tyler, but now he's staring at her intently so she drops her gaze to her hands holding her cup in her lap. "It was just-.....it was a casual thing, but it's over, so there's no need for Jamie to find out. No one knows....except you. So please don't-"

"I won't say anything," he interrupts.

Calista looks up at him somewhat surprised but he's giving her a sympathetic look so she nods her head and averts her eyes again. "Thanks."

The two of them settle back into awkward silence but thankfully Jamie is back within a minute or two and he convinces Tyler to go work out with him since they don't have a morning skate before the game tonight. With kiss on the forehead from Jamie and a long look from Tyler, the boys are gone and Calista sets her cup down so that she can run her hands over her face and let out a loud groan. All the stress of this situation can only be lessened by girl talk and food and she desperately needs that so she grabs her phone to text Felicity before heading to take a shower.
♠ ♠ ♠
Calista's outfit.

Sorry, you guys. I know this is really short, but I thought that would be better than nothing so I went ahead and posted what I had. This week has been nothing short of hellish but I wanted to make sure I got at least something posted so this is the unfortunate result. Please forgive me; promise the next one will be much better and much longer!