Sky Full of Stars

14

Where are you right now?

Calista hits send and sets her phone on the coffee table in front of her then pulls her arm back under her warm fleece blanket but Jamie's reply is almost immediate.

eating lunch w/ segs

Oh, so you're out?

....what do you need


She smiles as she reads the message; he obviously knows her too well. She never asks questions like that unless she wants something and he's probably already getting up from the table to leave the diner so that he can go wherever she needs him to go.

Tampons

Even as she hits send, she can already imagine his reaction and of course she's proven right when he replies with nothing but emojis, all ten of them the same horrified 'Home Alone' face. A moment later however, another text comes through.

what kind

Calista laughs to herself as she gets up from the sofa to retrieve her current empty box and take a photo of it to send back to him, along with a thank you and a dozen kissy face emojis. He doesn't reply to that one so she settles back down in her cocoon of blankets on the sofa and curls up into a ball, willing the ibuprofen to finally kick in and the cramps to go away. Not even her warmest, most comfortable clothes and One Tree Hill pulled up on netflix is making her feel better and she pretty much just feels like dying right there. The pain finally subsides enough for her to be a little more comfortable and she's able to drift off to sleep for a bit.

The next thing she's aware of is a loud bump against her front door. She rubs her tired eyes, yawning as she peeks her head out from under her blankets just as Jamie unlocks her door and pushes his way into the apartment, Tyler following directly on his heels. "You have no fucking idea how lucky you are that I love you," he says, tossing the Walgreens bag on top of her.

She laughs sleepily as she slides up into a sitting position to give him room to sit on the end by her feet since Tyler's already taken the other chair. "What happened?"

"We got stopped by some fans. They asked us to take pictures with them while we were in there."

"So?"

"So there we were just standing in the tampon aisle looking at the picture you sent and trying to find the box that matched when two teenage girls just come up to us on the tampon aisle and ask for pictures."

Calista glances over at Tyler, who obviously finds this just as amusing as she does, before she looks back at Jamie and tries not to laugh. It doesn't work and he pouts, grumbling about how this is the last time he's going to do her any favors. She rolls her eyes. "So what? There's a picture floating around somewhere of you on the tampon aisle at Walgreens. Big deal."

"It is kinda funny though," Tyler pipes up with a grin. He pulls his phone out of his pocket and after a few quick taps, he tosses it to her to let her look at what he's pulled up on the screen. "I think they both realized where they were at the same time."

Tyler's right. The photo on the left side of the collage is Jamie with a teenage girl, various feminine products all in the background, and they both look awkward as hell. The photo next to it is of the same girl with Tyler but he looks way more amused about the situation than Jamie or the girl did. The post already has about a hundred likes on it but it's the caption that Calista decides is absolutely the best part of the whole thing.

just ran into @jamiebenn14 and @tseguin92 buying tampons in walgreens lol #awkward #somanyquestions

"Oh man, I can't wait to read all the theories in your tumblr tag later," she laughs, tossing Tyler's phone back to him, and he laughs too but Jamie is still totally unamused. "Oh, lighten up, Benny. At least you didn't have to explain to them what you were doing there."

"That's true," Tyler agrees. "I can just imagine you trying to stutter out an answer being put on the spot like that."

"Fuck both you guys," Jamie scowls, crossing his arms over his chest.

Calista grins as she tosses her pile of blankets back so that she can move down to the other end of the sofa and wrap her arms around him. "Seriously though, thank you," she says softly, kissing his cheek. "You're the best friend there is."

"Yeah, yeah," he grumbles, but then he reaches over to retrieve the Walgreens bag and hands it it to her, nodding his head toward it to prompt her to look inside.

She does, and when she discovers that he also made sure to pick up some chocolate chip cookie dough, she has to laugh and hug him again. "You really are the best. Love you."

"Uh huh," he retorts skeptically, holding out his hand. "Here, let me go put that up." She hands him the pack and he gets up to put it into the fridge but before he even gets the door shut back, she calls his name. "I'm on it," he calls back, heading straight for the pantry where she keeps the chamomile tea.

Tyler gives her a look like he didn't know Jamie could be so attentive and knowledgeable about dealing with PMS but Calista just shrugs her shoulders, explaining, "This isn't his first time."

"Guess he knows you pretty well, huh?"

"Better than anyone."

The look he gives her then is skeptical and she knows what he must be thinking-- that it's pretty sad if he's the person who knows her the best and she can't even tell him about something that's had a huge impact on her life this past year. Technically, Jordie is something that's had a huge impact on most of her life because always she's been hopeless where he's concerned but Jamie doesn't know that and he certainly doesn't know that she'd had an ongoing physical relationship with him.

Calista elects to ignore that look in favor of smiling up at Jamie as he makes his way over to her with a steaming mug filled to the brim with chamomile tea. He plops down in the space next to her after handing over the mug and she takes a sip, careful not to let any spill out onto her hands as she does so.

"Nice mug," Tyler laughs and, when Calista holds it up, she realizes exactly which mug it is that she's holding. It's got a big picture of the night sky on it and it says 'you are the brightest star' across the front. It's ridiculously cheesy which is why she bought it in the first place.

"I got it for Jamie because I thought it was funny, but it somehow ended up back here at my place. Oh well, if he doesn't want to be the brightest Star...."

"It still works for you though," Jamie shrugs. "I mean, you're technically a Star too."

"You hate my Christmas presents."

"I do not! I kept the sweater, didn't I? And I just wore it last week!"

"Yes, you did, and you looked so handsome," she says, reaching over to brush her fingertips along his smooth, freshly shaven jaw. "But you look even better now. I'm so glad it's finally December."

Jamie laughs as he lightly smacks her hand away. "I get it, you hate the stache. It's eleven more months til you have to see it again."

"Thank God!"

"Hey, when are you going home for Christmas?"

"Not til the 20th."

"How long are you staying?"

"Just through the week. I'll be back on the 28th."

"So you'll be here for New Year's?"

"Of course," she chuckles. "No way I'm missing the New Year's party."

"Is it the party you're excited about or do you just want an excuse to kiss Dilly again?"

Calista smacks him in the arm with as much force as she can muster but it only makes him laugh. "Excuse me, he's the one who kissed me. And it was because he only had about thirty seconds to find someone before midnight and I was the only one around."

"Yeah, okay," Jamie retorts sarcastically. "You sure it didn't have anything to do with the fact that he has a thing for you?"

"He does not," she scoffs, shaking her head.

"Uhh, where have you been the past year? He definitely does."

"He does not. He's into tiny blonde models just like the rest of you."

"I-....how do you figure that?"

"Jamie, most of your team's collective dating pool is nothing but Barbie clones."

"Hey," he retorts, acting offended. "That's not fair."

"Are you saying I'm wrong?"

He shrugs, ignoring her challenge completely because he knows she's mostly right. "Whatever. He does have a thing for you though."

"He does not," she sighs, exasperated. "Jesus Christ, Jamie."

"Ask him, if you don't believe me."

"No way!"

"I'll do it," Tyler chimes in and Calista had almost forgotten he was sitting there. Her eyes widen at his words as she watches him pick up his phone and slide his finger across the screen.

"No, don't you dare!"

Tyler ignores her protest, typing out something on his screen before he clicks the lock button and sets the phone down on his thigh with a grin. "Too late."

"I'm telling you boys, you don't want to fuck with me today. I'm definitely not in the mood for it."

Jamie drapes his arm across her shoulders and pulls her closer to him. "You want some of that cookie dough now?"

"No, thanks," she replies, shooting him a glare. "But if you don't want to be scratched from the game tomorrow night, you'll draw that arm back right about now."

His brows shoot up in surprise at her threat and he bites his lip to keep from smiling as he retracts his arm from around her but she just sighs and scoots away a little to give herself some space. Tyler's phone beeps while she's taking another sip of her tea and she nearly spits it out when he picks it up to read the new message. He stares at the screen for a long few moments before he glances up at her with an unreadable expression.

"What'd he say?" Jamie asks.

Tyler tosses him the phone in lieu of answering the question and Calista leans in to see over Jamie's shoulder. She reads Tyler's short, simple 'are you into calista?' message before her eyes move down to the gray bubble under it with Dillon's answer.

come on dude youve seen her. id be into it for sure

Calista tries not to blush but she knows she's failing miserably. Tyler's watching her, waiting for a reaction, and Jamie's chuckling, very pleased with himself that he'd been right. The phone goes off again however before he can give it back and she automatically looks down to see what it says. A second gray bubble has appeared in the thread.

why, you got a thing for her?

Jamie laughs again and tosses the phone back to Tyler, who immediately has to look and see what the second message says while Calista tries not to feel so awkward watching him read it. He looks up at her when he's finished but she quickly turns her gaze over to Jamie.

"See? I told you. The whole team thinks you're hot. Why do you think we keep your contact with Roussel to a minimum?"

"Okay," she says, rolling her eyes. "You can stop now."

"Segs, help me out here. Am I right or what?"

"Seriously, Jamie," Calista insists before Tyler can respond because she already knows how he feels about her looks. He'd made it abundantly clear in Boston. "Can we just change the subject now?"

Jamie knows he seriously shouldn't push her anymore, especially since she's already threatened injury on him, so he casually changes the subject to the game the team will be playing against Philadelphia tomorrow night and Calista listens intently because at least it's better than talking about herself. Tyler however isn't paying any attention; he's too busy staring at that last message from Dilly, his fingers hovering over the keyboard on the screen for a few moments before he types out a quick reply and locks his phone, exhaling slowly to try and calm his heart rate.

I think I might
♠ ♠ ♠
Calista's outfit.

Surprise update! I know it's short, but I got this written and I couldn't wait to post it so thus you have an extra, albeit small, chapter. Also, it's an important moment so....yeah.

Let me know what you all think!! :)