Sky Full of Stars

29

He strolls inside confidently, which is more than Calista can say for herself. She's practically being dragged along behind him as they head further into the apartment and toward the kitchen where Casey is congregated with Jordie and Jamie, all three of them standing around the island with beers in hand. Eakin, Roussel, Chiasson, and Nichushkin are all spread out across the living room and they don't even look up from the lame action movie they're engrossed in.

"Hey, you finally made it!" Jamie calls obnoxiously as they make their way over and Casey's eyes seem to narrow immediately, scrutinizing Tyler as they approach the island on the opposite side.

Tyler ignores his teammate in favor of sticking his hand out over the granite to shake Casey's. "Nice to meet ya, man. I'm Tyler."

Casey responds politely enough but Calista can tell by watching him that he's just putting on because he isn't sure of Tyler yet. The four boys make casual conversation for a few moments until a collective yell from the living room pulls all their attention away and something awesome is apparently happening in the movie now so Jamie and Jordie rush over to watch and Casey follows slowly behind them, eyeing his sister and Tyler as he goes. As soon as they're alone in the kitchen, Tyler looks down at her, a little smile on his face as wraps an arm around her waist and pulls her into his side. "See?" he mumbles quietly into her ear. "That wasn't so bad."

"It's only been five minutes."

"And we've survived so far." He raises his hand to slip around the back of her head and pulls her in to place a kiss against her temple before releasing her completely to take her hand. "C'mon, I've got some more ass kissing to do."

Calista bites her lip to hide her smile as he pulls over over into the living room with everyone else and she flops down into the last empty seat beside Eakin while Tyler sits down on the arm of the sofa right next to her. Casey's sitting next to Jordie on the other sofa perpendicular to them and she's acutely aware of the eyes carefully watching the whole time they're sitting there. Tyler gets engrossed in the movie pretty quickly, which she guesses is a good thing at least that he's not stressing; she however is stressing for the both of them. Jamie, being the wonderful, thoughtful best friend that he is, had the forethought to stock his kitchen with multiple bottles of pinot and she takes full advantage of that, leaving the boys to their silly action movie.

There's only a few minutes of hiding out alone in the kitchen drinking before Nick and Felicity arrive and of course Nick gravitates toward the on-screen gunfire and loud music while Felicity makes a beeline toward her friend and the alcohol. She grabs a glass from the cupboard and perches herself up on the bar stool next to Calista to pour herself some wine. "You know how I've said Violet never had a terrible two's stage? Well it's finally making its appearance two years later and twice as terrible."

Calista just smirks and sips her wine. "What'd she do?"

Felicity launches into the story of Violet's earth shattering tantrum in Target, downing her entire glass in the process and when Tyler gets up from the sofa in the living room, Calista's eyes automatically flicker over to him as he makes his way toward the kitchen. She finds that happening more and more, her attention immediately snapping over to him when he's around. Felicity follows her line of sight and then rolls her eyes, snickering into her glass.

"Babe," he greets once he reaches them, slipping an arm around the back of her chair as he looks toward the other woman. "Felicity, how's it goin'?"

Calista hasn't looked away from him yet and Felicity just grins at her best friend because Calista doesn't even realize how completely gone for Tyler she really is. "I'm alright. Now go away so we can talk about you."

He laughs and holds his hands up in surrender before going to grab a couple of beers from the fridge and retreating back into the living room with the guys. Calista watches him the whole way and it isn't until he's slouched back down on the sofa next to Eakin that she finally tears her eyes away from him to look at Felicity, who's just sitting there with a shit eating grin on her face. "What?" Calista asks, suddenly self conscious, and she takes a large gulp of wine just to have something to do besides shift uncomfortably under her friend's gaze.

"Nothing, nothing," Felicity shrugs. "You just fucking love him, that's all."

"I do not!" she protests with a scoff. "I told you, it's way too fucking early for that."

"Do you know when I realized I loved Nick? When he dropped me off back at home after our first date. There's no time table, Calista. It just happens."

"Not for me it doesn't. I've only ever loved one person and that was for as long as I can remember."

"Listen, I'm not saying you're gonna immediately love Tyler the way you loved Jordie for year and years. But ya know what else is different with Tyler than it was with Jordie? It's being reciprocated. It has to feel good to finally have that."

Calista laughs a little and shakes her head. "Most days it doesn't even seem real.That he actually-....no, see I feel ridiculous just saying it."

"What, that he likes you?" Felicity asks, and the younger girl simply shrugs. "Calista, you can't even say it? You know he does though, right?"

"Y-yeah, I mean-"

"Hey, Tyler, c'mere for a sec!" Felicity shouts and Tyler's head immediately pops over the back of the sofa curiously.

Calista shoots her friend a dark look. "Don't."

It doesn't matter though because Felicity ignores her and Tyler's already making his way back over into the kitchen to where they're sitting at the bar. "What's up?" he asks and Calista just covers her face and shakes her head.

"You like her, right?"

"Oh my God," Calista groans, the sound muffled behind her hands.

"What kind of question is that?" Tyler chuckles. "Of course I do." He looks over at Calista in confusion and she just scrubs her hands over her eyes a few times before dropping them into her lap with a sigh. "Babe?"

"Nothing," she replies dismissively. "It's nothing. Ignore her."

"You sure everything's okay?"

"Yep." She looks down from his eyes because she's not about to get caught in a lie and have to tell him how she's really feeling but he gently takes her face in both hands and forces her to look at him. "You'll tell me if it's not, right?"

"Mhmm."

"Promise?"

She tries not to flinch at the earnest, hopeful look on his face and his chocolate brown eyes boring into hers. "I promise."

"Good," he grins and leans down to kiss her (quickly, because her brother is still in the room, after all) before rejoining the boys over in the living room.

Calista drops her gaze to her hands in her lap, taking a few shaky breaths before she looks back up at her friend with a scowl. "That was dirty."

"C'mooon," Felicity says, waving her off. "You were being completely ridiculous and I was just proving it to you that I was right."

"But these....hang-ups I have are mine. They don't-....they're not for him to worry about. I don't want him to w-...."

"Calista, the whole point of being in a relationship is being able to talk to the other person about your feelings. You're supposed to be able to tell him anything."

"It's not like we've been dating that long. Besides, like I said earlier, we haven't even put a label on it."

Felicity downs the last of the wine in her glass and sets it back down on the counter in front of her as she levels her friend with a completely unamused look. "You are one stubborn woman, Calista Clark."

Calista shrugs one shoulder and turns her gaze toward the living room, changing the subject quickly before Felicity can have time to stop her. "How do you think it's going over there?"

There must be some actual conversation going on in between all the explosions and gunfire on screen because all the guys start laughing at once, and then Jamie calls Eakin an idiot and the ginger flips him off in return. "Doesn't look like too much one on one interaction at this point, but maybe when the movie's over," Felicity offers.

"I hope Casey's not an asshole."

"He's not gonna be an asshole. He's just trying to look out for his baby sister."

"I know, but he can go overboard sometimes."

"I really think you're stressing over nothing, Calista. I'm sure it's all gonna go over just fine."

"I think you have too much faith in a bunch of dumb boys."

"I mean, maybe," Felicity concedes with a laugh, and then the doorbell rings, signaling the arrival of dinner. "Thank fuck the pizza's finally here! I'm starving because my boyfriend is a jerk!"

The emphasis at the end of her sentence is for the boyfriend in question's benefit because Nick doesn't even look away from the television screen as he replies, "Not stopping for a hot dog on the way here does not mean I'm a jerk!"

She scoffs dramatically and Calista laughs as she gets up from her seat at the bar. Jamie holds up a few bills above his head and she goes to grab them first before heading over to answer the door. Felicity takes her time making her way over to help Calista carry the pizzas back into the kitchen but not a moment after they get them set down on the counter top, there's a rush of big, tall man bodies toward the food and the movie playing is now just background noise, forgotten.

Most of the guys go back to the living room with three or four slices each but Tyler, Jamie, and Casey all stick around the counter with the girls and the silence that ensues is awkward as Calista fills up her wine glass again. After Felicity hands her a slice of pepperoni, she glances up, locking eyes with her brother across the island and she shoots him a pleading look to which he responds to by rolling his eyes before surprisingly starting up a conversation by asking Tyler about his hockey. Tyler looks utterly delighted that her scary older brother is actually interested in talking to him and about hockey no less, which is one easy topic that's comfortable for everyone. She shoots Casey a grateful smile before taking a sip from her glass and she feels Tyler grab her hand under the counter and give it a squeeze like he's saying See? We got this.

The rest of the night goes surprisingly well. Even after they've all finished eating and retire to the living room, the conversations continue to flow over ESPN highlights on tv. Calista eventually gets comfortable enough to let Tyler rest his hand on her thigh, the heavy warmth of his touch somehow settling her even more. She catches Casey just watching them interact a few times but he never acknowledges that he notices her notice him; instead, he just furrows his brows and chews on his bottom lip like he's deep in thought. Eventually, it's just them and the Benns left after everyone else has gone home and when Tyler stands up to stretch, she has to pry her eyes away from where his shirt is riding up because her brother is just a few feet away.

"I should get going," he says, glancing down at his watch. "Need to let Marshall out. But it was nice to meet ya, man. I'm sure I'll see ya again tomorrow."

"If my sister has anything to say about it," Casey retorts, grinning a little when he glances over at her. She sticks her tongue out at him but doesn't say anything in response.

"Benns, thanks for hosting," he says, going over to slap Jordie's hand in that weird bro handshake they always like to do. "Jameson, see you bright and early in the morning for that run."

Jamie groans and rubs his stomach. "Now I think maybe that's not such a good idea. Too much pizza and beer."

"Nobody but yourself to blame, dude."

"Shut up and get outta my house," he grumbles.

"Night, guys," Tyler laughs and Calista gets up from the sofa to walk with him to the door and say goodbye there instead of in front of her brother. She steps out into the hall with Tyler and as soon as she shuts the door behind her, Tyler lets out a heavy sigh and grins. "See? I told you it'd be fine. He doesn't hate me, at least I don't think, and that was really the only goal so....mission accomplished."

"You did great," she agrees with a smile of her own. "Thank you for humoring him with this whole visit."

"Did I pass the test, you think?"

"With flying colors."

"Yeeeeees," he drawls, pulling her in close to him so that he can lay another one of those dizzying kisses on her. He plants another quick one against her temple and squeezes her hip before he lets her go completely and starts his way down the hall toward the elevator. "See you tomorrow!"

Calista waits until he steps on before she goes back inside to face her brother and the Benns and they all get quiet as she resumes her previous spot on the sofa next to Jamie. She squints at all three of them suspiciously before her brother finally pipes up. "I thought you were going with him."

"No?" she questions, furrowing her brows. "Why would I?"

"I don't know, seems like you've been sleeping together a lot lately."

She glances over at her two friends like this might be some kind of joke but they're no help as per usual with their blank expressions. "Um, that was only like twice. And before you ask, that's all it's been."

"Seriously?" Jamie butts in and she turns her body to face him fully, giving him an incredulous look.

"I haven't even been dating the guy for three weeks!"

"Yeah but...." He pauses and shrugs his shoulders. "I mean, it's Tyler."

"And what exactly is that supposed to mean?" she retorts, unsure of whether or not she should be offended, for both herself and for Tyler.

"No, I don't-...I'm just-....I mean, you seem to really like him, that's all. And I know he likes you."

"I do really like him, but that doesn't mean I'm just gonna go jump into bed with him after two weeks. You know me better than that, Jamie. I can't just have sex with somebody I don't lov-" She snaps her mouth shut, eyes wide when she realizes what she just said out loud in front of people that she definitely didn't want to hear that. Jamie's looking back at her with the same surprised expression but she's too afraid to look over at the other sofa to see what Jordie is doing. "Um, I need to-...."

Without warning, she jumps up from the sofa and walks right out of the apartment without daring to look back at all, no doubt leaving her brother confused and the elder Benn on the cusp of realization. The elevator ride back down to her floor feels never ending and the only thing she can do when she gets back to her apartment is sink down onto the sofa and curl up into a ball, replaying her stupid mistake over and over. The clock on the opposite wall says it's after midnight but she feels wide awake, too wired to even think about sleeping. All these years, she's pretty sure Jordie's known that she liked him. I mean, obviously; Jamie told her she was about as subtle as a puck to the face with it. But not until just now has she ever said (to him, anyway) that she loved him in any other capacity than as a friend and there's no telling what he's going to end up doing with that information.

What if it makes things weird? He could decide he doesn't want to be friends anymore, which would probably destroy her if she's honest. It could cause things to be awkward for Tyler considering he and Jordie spend 90% of their time together on the ice, on planes, even at home. Is it going to cause problems between Jordie and her brother? They've been friends for so long and now one or both of them could just decide they can't deal with the situation and call it quits. What if her parents find out about this? And the Benns? Oh God, Jenny is going to give her so much shit because of course he's going to tell her. She honestly feels like throwing up just thinking about this whole mess.

Before she has enough time to dwell on it, Calista pulls her phone out of the pocket of her flannel and taps the first name on her recent calls list, taking a deep breath in through her nose as it rings only once before he picks up.

"Everything okay?" is the first thing out of his mouth and immediately Calista panics because she definitely did not think this through. Of course he would want to know what the fuck was up with her if she was calling him not fifteen minutes after he left her side.

"Yeah, fine, I just-....wanted to thank you again for tonight."

He chuckles, completely unaware that she really just pulled that out of her ass to cover for her dumb mistake. "Don't thank me. I didn't do anything."

"You faced my brother head on. That's something."

"Yeah well, I'd do pretty much anything if you asked me to do it."

The rush of feelings she gets at that makes her heart swell in her chest and she's grinning like an idiot so it's a good thing he can't actually see her right now. "Wow, Seguin, that was so cheesy," she mumbles, trying hard not to let the affection she's feeling bleed through too much.

"Can't help it. You make me cheesy, Clark."

She huffs a quiet laugh and shakes her head, even though he can't see her. "I should go," she says eventually, though not completely without hesitation. She doesn't want to go but there's not really anything to say at the moment and she's not about to let on how bad she needs him to just stay on the line for a few minutes.

"Hey, tell me something," he says suddenly and then laughs when she stutters over a reply in her surprise. "Something about you. Something Jamie doesn't even know."

Calista stays quiet until he says her name and then, "I'm thinking," she defends. "There's not a lot he doesn't know. Like....I can't think of anything right off."

"Nothing? That's ridiculous! He can't know everything!"

"I'm sure there's something. Just....it's a thinker."

"Your favorite color?"

"Come on, that's not fair. Everyone knows that."

"I don't," he retorts, sounding a little bit offended.

She laughs a little. "It's purple."

"Your favorite book?"

"He got me a first edition for my birthday last year."

"TV show?"

"I make him watch it with me."

They go back and forth for awhile, with her offering up an excuse or reason why Jamie knows the answer to every single question Tyler asks about her, even things like what her dad's nickname is for her and how she got the scar on her side and that she can't watch sad movies by herself. She tries not to laugh and fails and he just sighs heavily, eventually giving up. "Well, when you think of something, let me know."

"I promise." The doorknob rattles and then there's a quick knock on the front door, which has to be her brother. "Okay, well Casey's back from the Benns' so-"

"See you tomorrow," he says softly. "Goodnight."

Calista gets up to unlock the door as soon as she hangs up the phone and when she swings it open to come face to face with her brother, her mood immediately deflates again at the look he's giving her. Her shoulders sag as she walks back over into the living room to sit down on the sofa and Casey just follows her in wordlessly, plopping down right next to her. The silence is so deafening and she can just feel him waiting to say something, to ask her about it, but she just sits there with her legs curled up under her body for what feels like an eternity until he clears his throat a little.

"I guess he told you then," she mumbles, staring down at her hands in her lap because she really hates disappointing him and she can't bear to see that all over his face right now.

Casey sighs heavily and shifts his body more toward her. "He left right after you did. Jamie told me." She nods guiltily, waiting for him to continue, and when he doesn't, she just blurts out an apology. "Why are you saying sorry to me?" he asks in confusion.

"Because! I fucked up, I know I fucked up. I never should've-....I was stupid. I don't know why I-...."

"Yes, you do." She scowls at the coffee table in front of her until Casey gently bumps his elbow against her side so that she has to look over at him. "Cali, you were in love with him from Day 1. I'm honestly not all that surprised that something happened, especially with you living down here so close with them and everything."

Instead of focusing on the fact that her brother is totally playing the 'I knew this was gonna happen' card, she breezes on past that for now. "I never should've gotten involved with that. All it did was drive me crazy for over a year. He didn't feel the same, I always knew that. I guess I just-....hoped that maybe I could be good enough to change his mind."

"You know it's his loss, right?"

She scoffs. "Yeah, okay."

"Hey," he scolds, nudging her again, but this time harder. "Cut it out. Cali, the guy's one of my best friends, but he's a fuckin' idiot, alright? If he can't see a good thing when it's right in front of him, then it's his own damn fault, not yours."

"Maybe," she concedes begrudgingly.

"Not maybe. Jamie told me he admitted he fucked up big time."

"Did he also tell you I got fired?" she asks, trying to steer the conversation away from Jordie and his feelings, and it works because Casey pauses, just blinking at her in surprise for a moment.

"The Stars fired you? For that? When?"

"Awhile ago," she admits, nodding. "Organization's policy."

"But...it's not like you were just some random employee with a player. You've known Jordie all your life."

"Doesn't matter. We both knew it was a rule."

"A rule," Casey repeats, shaking his head in disbelief. "Well, what have you been doing then?"

"I got another job, thanks to my former boss actually. With the Mavericks."

"Well damn, that's not bad at all."

"No, not at all. I get paid about the same, I still get to work from home a little, same as before. It's honestly better than I could have ever hoped for in the situation."

"And, hey, maybe it worked out for the best, ya know? Like, if you were still working for the team now, you wouldn't have been able to start dating Tyler."

"That's true," she allows. It hadn't actually really occurred to her that getting fired maybe wasn't a bad thing that happened to her at all; it actually ended up being a positive thing, the pieces falling perfectly into place.

"Speaking of--...." he adds, sighing heavily. "I....like him."

"Yeah?" Calista asks hopefully, looking up at him with brows arched in surprise.

Casey nods. "Yeah, I mean, I wasn't so sure I would. I was actually pretty sure I wouldn't after what Jordie told me but he seems like a nice kid so-"

"Wait, what?"

"What?"

"What do you mean after what Jordie told you? What did he tell you?"

He gets the look on his face that he always gets when she's upset and he's trying to talk her down, and he holds his hands up in surrender. "Nothing I couldn't have found out by googling the guy."

"Jesus Christ," she laughs, a little hysterically, and he looks genuinely worried for her now as she roughly rakes her hands through her hair. "Why the fuck does he keep doing this? I'd only been dating Tyler for like a millisecond before he told you about it and neither of us was ready for you to be brought into the mix but he was still a good sport about meeting you. And it wasn't enough for Jordie to do that, but he had to go ahead and feed you all this about stupid shit Tyler did when he was nineteen? That's so fucked up."

"He's just trying to protect you, Cali."

"Well I am not fucking his to protect!" she growls in frustration, pressing her fingertips to her eyes to keep the hot, angry tears from spilling down her cheeks. "Case, we literally just talked about how I was in love with him for years and he never wanted me back. Now I've finally gotten over him and I've moved on and I'm happy....and-...." She pauses to shake her head and take an unsteady breath in. "Tyler's not that person anymore. You think we'd be dating if he were?"

"I didn't say he was," Casey states calmly in that stupid reasonable big brother tone of his. "I'm just saying, after what I heard, I was concerned for you. But after tonight, after seeing the way he looks at you, the way he treats you, I'm definitely gonna rest easier. It's obvious he cares about you. And nothing makes me happier for you than you finally getting a guy you deserve."

She doesn't really know what to say to that and he doesn't give her much of an opportunity to respond anyway before he stands up from the sofa and leans down to kiss the top of her head. "Get some sleep, Cali," he tells her before retreating down the hallway.
♠ ♠ ♠
Calista's outfit still in this chapter.

Sooo...it's been a hot minute since I posted. Sorry! :(